Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Solution for those pesky y-pipe bolts

49K views 85 replies 60 participants last post by  thedoo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Or order doo part #514-054-047 which is coated with a special adheasive (sp) that wont allow them to back out. They came stock on 05 and newer rev's.

#4 ·
The 05 bolts suck bad. Ever try to get them out? That's the problem with locktite....glues them in. I stripped two heads and had to use vice grips to get them out...now that's a pita.

These are better than that. Similar to the washers Doo uses on the 3 bolts that hold the primary clutch spring down. That washer is just a single one with little grippers on it. These Nord Lock ones are a two piece design that have a locking design.

Ttabs...I got two motors to do with my bag. Since you've helped my friend out though....I'll send you whatever I have left. PM your addy to me.

#5 ·
Wow, I thought my bolts corrode went I was tring to get the out

My 2003 were much easier to get out than the 2005 gade 800.

I had 3500 miles on my 2003. When I removed the head kit all bolts were still tight.

The 2005 I'll have to keep an eye on them. I wire wheeled both the 2003's and the 2005's bolts clean--- no thread lock.
Rev - Barron: I guess that you have seen these come loose if you found a locking means.
Please yell at me if you found these bolt to come loose without a locking means.

Thank
Keith

#6 ·
4300 miles and mine are still tight, I guess I will worry about this if I ever need to take them out but at least they did not back out, John and I rode with one guy who had 4 of the 8 back out with 3 of those actually breaking off at the flange, we found some in the belly pan and put them back to get home. Chuck, I see the weather is changing and it looks like snow all week for the UP, I did a 10 day for GM and it looks good. Like I told Steve, you have a place to stay in GM so plan on it. We plan to ride to Gwinn to see Steve on his 40th B-day. It is a good days ride, a big party and a ride back.

#7 ·
REV*BARON said:
http://www.nord-lock.com/default.asp?url=2.16.37

Just put some on my y-pipe today. No loctite is needed.

Not cheap though. I think a bag of 25 washers was $10 at Fastenal.
[snapback]646508[/snapback]​
Chuck, cool you found these washers.. We use these at work for special G-10 (material like fiberglass but stronger) components running on an air powered slide that is exposed to all kinds of vibration... I never even thought about using these washers for exhaust bolts but I can vouch for their locking ability as we have yet to have a bolt loosen and we are using 10-32 thread bolts.. These washers work very well. I also would replace the bolts with SS ones like you have recommended before....I replaced mine with SS but will have to get these washers too....

#11 ·
Ive got a couple 2005 600ho and a 800ho and the y pipes fell off them at 2000 miles geuss they forgot the loctite on those 2 ,got a fastenall in town now ill get some new washers thanks chuck.

#12 ·
REV*BARON said:

$10 for 25 is cheap compared to some of the Doo washers - $2.50 for one washer for the skid front lower shock mount - as an example.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
PITA is right. I tightened them before the season started and two came loose on my first ride and I didn't catch it right away. What a fricken mess. It blew exhaust/oil all over the place. Of course, I think of the worst possible scenario...I figure I'd be the next guy with his sled burnt to the ground on the side of a trail, so I had to completely clean it up.

#15 ·
I was changing my plugs when I noticed one of my Y-pipe bolts missing. Half were loose. The lock washers that come on these are about the equivalent of tin foil. I used blue loctite and replaced all washers with new metric lock washers that are about twice as thick as stock. Solid as a rock now.
Keep all the great tips coming Chuck. Or is this just more internet hype??????

#17 ·
Sorry, just went out and looked...no part number on the bag.

I just saw them when I was in the store and bought them. I had to get the 1/4" ones since they didn't have the metric in stock. They fit just fine. The bolt is 5mm and 1/4" = 6.35mm.

#18 ·
REV*BARON said:

Thanks for the info Baron! I have emailed the nord-lock people for more information and where to buy these parts.

Just one question...what size is needed for the Y-pipe bolts and where can you get these items?

Thanks

#23 ·
Up again since I've seen two posts in the last two days with y-pipes falling off.

I don't recommend red loctite either. Ever try to get those off in a pinch? No thanks. It does work well....just too well for my liking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.