Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Tip of the day....airbox fix for belt dust

138K views 257 replies 145 participants last post by  wileyone123 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
After only two rides this year I pulled my airbox off to find the nastiest black belt dust all over my carb insides. Saw a post on here about the holes in the back of the airbox so I bought a sheet of the SLP prefilter material (made and patented by Outerwears in MI) and siliconed a piece over the holes.

You will notice I have the SLP sock over the main side panel foam too to keep out the snow dust and ice from gettting in as well.

This material works awesome, and I put it over the front nose screen, side panel openings, and even the hood screens to keep out the snow and dirt.

Best $45 you can spend to keep your motor clean and running top notch.

Chuck

edited: here's the link to SLP

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
All the side panel airboxes are the same 440-600-800. These are behind your airbox up against the panel. You need to remove the airbox to see them. Pic is from the opposite side that you see.

#9 ·
I did what you did REV*BARON. It works awesome, except I have the BRP sock for the filer and it blows! It is too small for the foam. Morons. I'm ordering the SLP one right now. I had the SLP one on my 04, and it was nice and loose fitting on the foam. The BRP one is so tight it compresses the foam and then you get gaps where snow can get into your airbox. The SLP sock has holes at each end of the sock which is a good design. BRP's sock has a slit that runs down the side of the sock and again because the sock is too small the slit remains open with the foam bulging out, thus you are losing a layer of prefilter protection that you would normally have if they made the damned thing bigger. SLP it is.

#10 ·
SLP 208-529-0244

SLP Prefillter Sock:

P/N 14-198 18.95

SLP Pre-Filter Material Sheet (don't know how big it is)

P/N 14-226 17.90

#13 ·
Revved said:
Yellowknife, I'm surprised your sock doesn't fit. When I put mine on I thought that it fit very well. I don't have any gaps and it isn't too small. Maybe its been changed ????
[snapback]293537[/snapback]​
Really?? What the deuce!

#14 ·
gobblestopper said:
Black panty hose does the same trick and its free (if you can get it past the wife)!
[snapback]293525[/snapback]​
The panty hose works to cover the vents, but this Stuff that SLP sells is treated with Silicone and it is ABSOLUTELY water-proof. You cna puddle water on it and the water will never even get the back side of this material damp! Its great stuff. The panty hose will just let the water go right through it.

#21 ·
I have duct tape on mine...it may kill the engine for air if the foam completely seals up/freezes up. Keep an eye on your foam, that's all. Keep it clean. Get the prefilter.

#198 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'd be reluctant to use these as there is nothing between the foam plugs and the carbs/throttle bodies unlike stock quad airboxes. (in case they get sucked out or vibrate out.)

#24 ·
so let me get this right..

the 6 small holes are gonna cost me $45 to cover up??? They are high and inside the panel. I cant see how snow or moisture is going to get to that point.

Somebody please explain the cost of that stuff, and if its the case of having to buy a 48' sheet for less than a 4" x 12"slice of it..Im all in for buying it and dicing it up into smaller portions to offset the cost.

let me know who's interested. bc3

#26 ·
They sell the stuff in smaller sheets, but if you buy the big sheet, you get to cover the front plate holes, side panel holes (keep clutch dry), and the hood screens. The hood screen kit from Doo is like $35 alone.
It's worth it to me to have less worries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.