Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Questions answered for putting in a 6/800 motor

41K views 77 replies 49 participants last post by  JStoy077 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Everyone asks this question so here are some ideas to think about when putting a 6/800 into your 440 chassis.

1st off there are two ways you can go about this. You can use all the 440 electronics/mpem/stator/volt reg. and then just have the mpem reprogrammed to the correct curve by Tom Lawrence. OR you can do the better more expensive thing and use all the electronics off the 6/800 motor. That would include the 360 watt stator, larger volt. reg., full body wire harness, and mpem.

If you use the 440 mpem you will not have RER or DPM and you will have your lights dim when using your hot grips do to it's 290 watt stator.

Some may disagree on this with me, but this next step is important....BUY the full length tunnel cooler off a wrecked sled and replace the 440 small one. Don't take the chance of running a 440 cooler with that bigger motor. With that you will need the two coolant hoses that run from the cooler to the motor. You can use the 440 coolant bottle and hoses off it. First you need to remove the restrictor found inside the coolant hose that runs to the head. 2nd you need to drill the hole in the nipple for the hose that will run your heated carbs(assuming you have heated carbs which are stock).

The 6/800 motor will bolt right in the exact motor mount of your 440.
You will probably want to add the oil tank and hoses for the oil injection setup unless you like to mix gas.

Before you put the motor in, it's best to mount the new larger voltage reg. in it's place since it sits down low and is hard to get to.

Obviously you need the appropriate exhaust setup which will also just drop right in place.

You need the 6/800 fuel pump too since it has just one outlet where as the 440 has 2.

You can use the 440 clutches. Just buy a good set of adjustable pins and some new ramps. 414's or 415's work good with the 800 motor. Green/Blue spring is a good start point (200/290). About 19-20 grams is another good starting point.

2ndry: Stock Team. The stock spring is fine, but you'll need a new helix with a RER(reverse) cut in it (assuming you have the stock 6/800 mpem with RER.
58/44/46 all the way up to 70/44/46 are good to play around with on the 800's.

The stock 440 handlebar controls and hot grip switch will work with the 6/800 full body harness. You just need to buy or find a connector so that you can wire in everything off your bars to it and just plug it in. I have the pinout if you need it...send me a PM.

Don't forget to buy a manual so you know how to adjust your oil pump, appropriately torque all your bolts, and other things you might need.

Ebay has them for like $10 on CD and it includes the Race Manual which is important for the 440 chassis setup and shock rebuilding.

Anything I missed...PM me and I'll add it to this list.

Wire pinout for 440 controls to the main 6/800 body harness.

Item Wire Color Pin I.D.

Left Hot Grip---- orange-- in from switch
Left Hot Grip---- orange/violet-- in from switch
Left Hot Grip---- black--- 1 or Grd.

Right Hot Grip---- orange-- in from switch
Right Hot Grip---- orange/violet-- in from switch
Right Hot Grip---- Grey/Yellow -- 1 or Grd.

Thumbwarmer---- brown-- in from switch
Thumbwarmer---- brown/yellow-- in from switch
Thumbwarmer---- yellow/black-- 1 or Grd.

Dimmer-- grey -- 10
Dimmer-- red/orange-- 11
Dimmer-- grey/violet --12

RER Switch---- beige-- 8
RER Switch---- red/grey-- 5

Kill Switch black--- 1
Kill Switch black/yellow--- 2 in 03/6 in 04

Hot Grip/Thumb Switch--- red/yellow --13
Hot Grip/Thumb Switch--- orange-- out to element
Hot Grip/Thumb Switch--- orange/violet-- out to element

See less See more
#3 ·
Chuck,

What if you have an 800 from an earlier 00'-02' that was just the traill setup, with out the MPEM, or do they all have this? Has only heated carbs and no reverse. will the pipe from the ZX chassis fit or do you need one out of a REV?

I thought I read somewhere that there is a big bore kit for the 440, is this true?

Thanks Chuck, we all value your wisdom and knowledge!!

John

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
No the ZX pipe does not fit. Not sure on the y-pipe but probably not.

The earlier motors will work with either method. Remember the older motors had the same stator as the 440 (290 watt). So you could run a older motor with the existing 440 harness and mpem. You just need to change the large stator connector out to the newer square one so it will plug in the 440 mpem. Again the 440 mpem can be reprogrammed to the 800 curve for $75 at the Race Dept only.

ALWAYS keep the mpem with the same stator wattage. Don't put the 360 watt newer stator in a older motor and use the older mpem. If you change one...change everything.

Some of the older motors have the 2nd pocket to add the other pickup coil which could be added if you want to add RER to your older motor.
See my signature for adding RER to those motors...that's a whole different topic that has already been discussed with pics.

If you do want the RER, again you'll need the 360 watt stator, newer MPEM with RER, larger voltager reg., and a RER 2ndry clutch or helix.

#5 ·
The Wye pipe from the ZX chassis will NOT work. birds sent me the wrong one with my motor and had to buy the REV one. The REV one is tipped up considerably and the modifications would be prohibative to make the ZX one work. This is how I found out the 600 Wye pipe wont wont on an 800 either.

Good luck,

Thanks for the post Chuck, now lets hope people will do a serach before asking these questions.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Most or all the rev race chassis are ac voltage not dc voltage so i beileive you have to change the gauges if you are going with the consumer wire harness ,voltage regulator rectifier and mpem,we ran into that with the 05 we just put together,the consumer gauges dont work with the 440x electronics

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
The consumer gauges will work....I put them on a 05 chassis that I built for a guy in MI this last fall. You just need the correct pinout.

The SDI gauge is a bit different. Prairie Renegade has the pinout for that one.

The 440 gauge is the same as the Summit X so it works as well with the 6/800 stock wire harness.

Olzy...that white/green wire is for the electronic Tach found on the newer REVs.

#12 ·
For the larger rad, trace it where u have to cut the hole in the tunnel?
I got the sled down to nothing and about to start putting it back together, so the rad will be first? looks to be 1/2" in side the top peice, and do i just leave the old rad in at the back?

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
yes the coils are the same.....06 and newer 440 Voltage regulators are alos the same as the consumer ones for the most part.

I have a 600HO on ebay now for others who want one.......comes with everything pretty much needed to do the swap

EBAY 600HO

#21 ·
I know this is probably stupid and sounds redundant but I am getting ready to transfer My 800x over to a 440x chassis since my 800's chassis is tweaked I am wondering what I will need for extra parts or will everything just swap over. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I will need a heat exchanger off an 04 800 so as to have the long heat exchanger.

#22 ·
You also will need complete wiring harness, voltage regulator (unless you have a '06 or '07 440 chassis with one) , air box for carbs, fuel tank vent line, and must re-wire the controls to fit the 800 harness. The 440 has different style plugs that will not fit into 800 harness...

#24 ·
TTT So can you use a Rev 440 wire harness with a non HO 600 motor and put rer & a rer mpem on it....or is there a difference with the 440 & RER wire harnesses...Also while I'm asking, with the rer...being that it stops the motor & reverses it, is there a certain oil pump you need or does the oil pump always pump oil no matter what way it spins?

#25 ·
I have a question about mine. 2005 440 with 2005 600HO. i have the 600 motor, the 600 motor plate, 600 clutches...pretty much everything out of the 600...so what belt do i use? my buddy has the same thing but an 800 in it and he uses the 800 belt...should i be using the 400 belt or the 600 belt??

hoping someone can PM me with the answer sometime today.

Thanks,
Zac

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
When I put an 05 800 mod in my 06 and 07 race chassis, I just got the new style stator, flywheel, and CDI (reprogrammed with the race curve). I'm not sure how difficult it is to swap the rest of the wiring out like you tried, but if you've got a new style electronics 440 sitting around, you can just get the box reprogrammed by Tom Lawrence and then swap the stators/flywheel etc. That's assuming the 01 and 05 800 motors didn't change anyhting major, which I don't think that they did. But look at what the post said earlier and you can see that there are some benefits to swapping out the entire harness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.