Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Professional Spark Plug Gapper
15,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am amazed at all that i have read on here. A high percentage of the topics in the REV chassis forum is dealing with complaints of manufacturer problems. There have been so many problems posted that people are saying, "another piece of junk from BRP" Skis, rings, motors, electronics, sliders, carbides, etc.

IF THE REV IS SUPPOSEDLY THE BEST SLED OUT THERE, WHY ALL THE COMPLAINTS? Do you have to hate it to be the best?

Most of the topics in the ZX forum deal with mods and pics and general questions and conversation. There are a lot of questions about general mechanical failures, not many that i see are blaming Doo.

So is the rev really that much better than the zx if you have to fix it all the time? You get a couple hundred miles out of the skis, maybe a few more from the carbides, by then most are worried about their motors. A few miles later go the sliders, check your rings while you're at it. Hopefully the computer doesn't go next.....

There was plenty of power and technology loaded into the zx chassis, and it seems that there were a lot less failures. And they were less expensive to begin with. I love my REV, as do many. I loved my ZX, as do many. Ask yourself, "do the benefits of the rev outweigh the benefits of the zx? do the weaknesses of the rev outweigh the weaknesses of the zx? am i willing to risk all of the work for the rev over the zx?"

Remember this is just my opinion, not knocking on anyone... and i was wondering what everybody else thought on this....

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
3025km and only blew a belt. Also changed the hyfax and plugs, hyfax was still about 50% and plugs were still good. Skis and carbides are still good. Just general maintenance.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,231 Posts
My 03's been awesome ('cept for the rings). I wouldn't trade it for a ZX
. Besides, the ZX sleds had alot of the same issues. The 800s had piston durability issues for years, and the 600HO in the 2003 ZX MX-Z was the same ring chomper that the REVs had.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I know for a fact the Rev is twice the sled then the ZX sleds. i had a 02 600 sport MXZ and my girlfriend had an 04 GSX rev, and i couldn't keep up with her on the trails...i was bouncing all around while she just sat there. I played with the shocks on the 02 all the time, but i had no luck....i was always sore fromriding that darn thing. When i bought my first Rev (04 800 MXZ gade), i was never sore from riding again. Never had any problems with a Rev sled either, and remember you sold as many Revs as Ski-doo has your going to have some problems. Guys, this is my opinion and my expierence with the ZX sleds...and i am not talking them down...remember ski-doo built it, so it was NOT that bad of a sled for its time.

·
Hurry, pull my string again!
2,181 Posts
i would never go back to my '01 MXZ 700 (ZX chassis). I had an '03 600HO and I now have an '05 SDI-X. both were and are great.

only problem i had is suspension component failure, but i take responsibility for that.

·
Super Moderator
29,733 Posts
If I had go back to a traditional type snowmobile I would give up the sport - and I'm not kidding.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Drove a zx quite a bit before the rev I have now. No comparison in ride and handling. I find the rev quieter too. I find you only hear most of the bad on this site and not alot of the good things. It's a great site but you have to take alot of it with a grain of salt. You can bet for every rant you read about how big of a pos someones sled is there are 100 people who have had good luck with their machines.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
06MXZXRenegade800 said:
3025km and only blew a belt. Also changed the hyfax and plugs, hyfax was still about 50% and plugs were still good. Skis and carbides are still good. Just general maintenance.
[snapback]745992[/snapback]​
3000km, nothing gone, same plugs, rings hyfax still good, skis and carbides are perfect, suspension is perfect, belt is perfect, not 1 problem whatsoever! I do take good care of my sled, but I doo ride it pretty hard.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
MX-Z Man said:
If I had go back to a traditional type snowmobile I would give up the sport - and I'm not kidding.

[snapback]746030[/snapback]​

AMEN brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
There is not really a comparison between the two. I have an ZX chassis and my wife has a REV. If the trail is moguls - she can take them better. If it is smooth, she wants the sit back comfortable position of my sled.

I have two bad knees, so I can't ride a Rev more than 50 miles without my knee getting sore. So I am waiting for a chassis in the middle without a 1,000 cc motor.

trail cruising = ZX
rough trail/ditch bangin = rev

Is this really an issue? there are no ZX chassis to buy anymore so why discuss this - buy a rev and be happy - I hope to get one next year and accept the knee issues, unless of course I can buy a RT 600.

SR

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I actually have a post on the ZX forum wishing BRP would bring back one new conventional sled. I HAD a 2004 500SS trail. In the 2200 miles I had it I could never get it dialed in. Tried every setting, flex skis, project X skis, precision skis. HEAVY steering and all over the trail above 55MPH. Had dealers look at it. Some have said the 04's steered heavy. Some say my shocks were shot. I don't know. Sold it and bought a 2002 700X with 3900 miles and put 900+ miles on last year. Went through it and rebuilt shocks, new cudney pistons (just to freshen it up at 4800 miles) predator track and the thing ROCKS! Put another 3,000 miles on it this year. The REV is GREAT in the moguls but my 700X has flat footwells and a riser so it's pretty easy to stand if the bumps get bad. I trail ride and don't ditch bang. Yammie has the Vector and that was a HUGE seller for them. I really don't think if doo brought back one conventional sled it would hurt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an 04 Gade 800 with 3500 miles. Just changed the first belt at about 3000 miles! Yeah the belt was getting thin, but it didn't blow, I just had to see how long it would last. It now has become the spare! Did pistons and rings last year, Ski Doo took care of it. Pilots on the Gade for 1200 miles this year with Bergstrom Skegs, love em.

Also have a 04 GSX 600SDI, no problems, completely stock, I will soon put in rings to make her last, now has about 1200 miles.

Overall, I won't complain since I have had very little problems compared to what I see here.

These two sleds are the best machines all around for their time IMO, especially compared to the previous forty+ I have owned. I make my judgement in the fact that I can stay on them all day without getting the crap pounded out of me. For those that never had the opportunity to jump on sleds from the 70's, 80's or even 90's, you may not realize how good it is.

·
Super Moderator
29,733 Posts
sewer rat said:
I have two bad knees, so I can't ride a Rev more than 50 miles without my knee getting sore. So I am waiting for a chassis in the middle without a 1,000 cc motor.

[snapback]746281[/snapback]​
I ran 3600+ miles on my '04 X model and never had any soreness in my knees. I ran 105 miles on my '06 non-X and had sore knees. I put an X seat on my non-X sled and ran 150 miles today in 3 hours in fairly rough trails. Guess what, no sore knees. Yeah, the X seat is that much better. It sits a bit taller and its more narrow. Try one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm on my first REV 06 600HO SDI X after riding several ZX chassis X package sleds. After 3000 miles in Quebec in 2 trips the sled has been trouble free. No snow here in NY. I have had 4 300+ mile days and one that was close to 400 miles in one day, on their fine trails up there and never sore. Never any problems even when it was -38f. The sled runs and drives flawlessly. Best performing sled I have ever owned. But others in the group did have minor issues, electrical problems, start relay on a 05 GSX 600sdi, and one with computer problems that turned out to be bad wire by steering column. 06 Gade 600sdi. One had a motor failure. 06 Gade 600sdi. Bad when an 05 fusion finishes a 1800 mile romp trouble free and 3 new Doos didn't. I guess it is luck of the draw. Reliability in my opinion could be better. But It is the Best performing sled on the snow period.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts