Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know theres been similar subjects in the past but parts are harder to find today.

Just got a Legend 700 GS 2002 and I want to do a couple mods to lighten the front and make the ride a bit more comfortable. Here is what I'm thinking... I'm looking for advice, where to find parts (if you have some for sell hit me up), etc.

- Trailing arm change for something more or like the Alternative Impact (they don't do them anymore)
- Change radius rods for lighter tie rods
- Front suspension for second hand fox or 07 MXZ HPG shocks (or similar)

- 121 to 136 extension. Am looking into a SC3 skid or aftermarket to make the ride better (have any suggestions)
- Change the seat for a better position and have handle bar raiser

Plus here are a couple questions;

- Any ideas ont the measurements for the new skid mounting points points ?
- Going from 121 (1in) to 136 (1.5-2in) do I need to change the clutch or gears in the chain case (grab a renegade chain case)?

All parts are hard to find now. I have done researches on previous mods but most companies don't do the aftermarket parts.

Thanks for the help!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a f-chassis that I turned into a s-chassis I did modify my skid from 121" to 136" I didn't change the gears or clutch, it works fine. I did just find a website I think it was called "speedway motors" they have aluminum radius rods that can be ordered in a bunch of different lengths, that would take some weight off, I was thinking about trying to loose some weight off of mine as well. The last suggestion is a new hood. the stock one with all it's gages weighs about 40 pounds. I saw a Lexan hood once on some YouTube channel that should drop the hood weight, that will probably be the biggest reduction you will make, don't know if they are still available though I was thinking about building a carbon fiber one for mine, I have a small business building composite things, so I have the skill to do it right. Don't have any info on the other questions, but I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
If you do a search you should be able to find the c to c mounting distances but I got these from a post on here. I If I was you I would look for a used M10, or sc4 or newer skid. I could never get the sc3 and older to ride very good. Maybe increase your seat height to put yourself in a better position. It is really nice to have your knees and hips at the same elevation and hunching you back. A lot of those aftermarket parts cost more than these sleds are worth now.

suspension mounting c to c distances suspension distance

sc10 121 24.75

sc2 121 24.75

sc3 (02/03zx and 03 rev) 121 24

sc3 (03/04 rev) 121 24.5

sc4 121 23 7/16

sc5 120 22.75

rmotion 16 600rs 23

rmotion xp120 23.5

rmotion xp129 24.25?

s chassis 136 30.5?

zx 136 29?

sc3 136 31 5/16

sc4 136 28.75

sc5 137 28 1/8

rmotion 137 28.5

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you do a search you should be able to find the c to c mounting distances but I got these from a post on here. I If I was you I would look for a used M10, or sc4 or newer skid. I could never get the sc3 and older to ride very good. Maybe increase your seat height to put yourself in a better position. It is really nice to have your knees and hips at the same elevation and hunching you back. A lot of those aftermarket parts cost more than these sleds are worth now.

suspension mounting c to c distances suspension distance

sc10 121 24.75

sc2 121 24.75

sc3 (02/03zx and 03 rev) 121 24

sc3 (03/04 rev) 121 24.5

sc4 121 23 7/16

sc5 120 22.75

rmotion 16 600rs 23

rmotion xp120 23.5

rmotion xp129 24.25?

s chassis 136 30.5?

zx 136 29?

sc3 136 31 5/16

sc4 136 28.75

sc5 137 28 1/8

rmotion 137 28.5
Yeah after a coule searches, people seam to say to go for the SC4, I could've grabbed an SC3 for cheap so that why I was wondering...

Thanks for the C to C measurements. Any Idea if the drive to front arm length changes or even if we need to move the front or rear arm higher or lower a coule inches? I've read different views on that and can't seem to have a real idea on where to put new holes.

For the seat hight what would you propose? Seen some Rev seat mods would that help to be higher and have a better position.

I do agree these mods will maybe be more expensive than the sled its self but always thought the 700 was a reliable engine and the sled is mostly in pretty good condition. only want a better ride and for me moding the sled is almost as fun as riding it afterward.

·
2nd Whore in command
102,193 Posts
If you keep your eye out on eBay motors, you can sometimes come across the light weight trailing arms. Typically you want to look at sellers who are out West, cause that's where a lot of guys who used to mountain ride the Summits were and who was buying those light weight parts. But they aren't cheap $$$$
I have a couple sets of the FabCraft carbon fiber arms, one set on my sled and the other for backup. I'm not sure if FabCraft is still around or making these anymore, could try looking them up.
As for the gearing change, you most likely will want to drop a few teeth off the top gear if you go to a 136" and taller lug. I went down 2 teeth on mine when I went 136" and 1.5" lug.
Not sure if your getting a 136" skid or doing rail extensions on your existing skid? If your keeping yours then you might want to find a set of HPG rebuildable shocks from a MXZ to swap in and have them rebuilt and valved for your weight.......huge improvement!! Same goes for your front shocks.

A pic of the FabCraft arms
CF93D920-68F6-4C0A-B555-B233642B546B.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you keep your eye out on eBay motors, you can sometimes come across the light weight trailing arms. Typically you want to look at sellers who are out West, cause that's where a lot of guys who used to mountain ride the Summits were and who was buying those light weight parts. But they aren't cheap $$$$
I have a couple sets of the FabCraft carbon fiber arms, one set on my sled and the other for backup. I'm not sure if FabCraft is still around or making these anymore, could try looking them up.
As for the gearing change, you most likely will want to drop a few teeth off the top gear if you go to a 136" and taller lug. I went down 2 teeth on mine when I went 136" and 1.5" lug.
Not sure if your getting a 136" skid or doing rail extensions on your existing skid? If your keeping yours then you might want to find a set of HPG rebuildable shocks from a MXZ to swap in and have them rebuilt and valved for your weight.......huge improvement!! Same goes for your front shocks.

A pic of the FabCraft arms
CF93D920-68F6-4C0A-B555-B233642B546B.jpeg
Thanks for all the tips!! Looks like what I need to start with for a better ride!

Those carbon trailing arms are cool! Even saw a model with a sway bar fit kit (I'll be more in the trails 80/20). But yeah expensive and hard to get. I'll keep my eye out and if you see any hit me up.

I was looking at 136 with 1.6 max 1.75 so I'm guessing dropping 2 teeth would be good. Where did you find the new gear?

A friend also told me to put some HPG up front to help out. Trying to put a hand on a sc4 skid to change the riding position so I guess it already has some ok shocks on it. Does the eye to eye need to be exactly the same up front or a half inch off is ok? Seems like I have 18" but found some 17.5".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a f-chassis that I turned into a s-chassis I did modify my skid from 121" to 136" I didn't change the gears or clutch, it works fine. I did just find a website I think it was called "speedway motors" they have aluminum radius rods that can be ordered in a bunch of different lengths, that would take some weight off, I was thinking about trying to loose some weight off of mine as well. The last suggestion is a new hood. the stock one with all it's gages weighs about 40 pounds. I saw a Lexan hood once on some YouTube channel that should drop the hood weight, that will probably be the biggest reduction you will make, don't know if they are still available though I was thinking about building a carbon fiber one for mine, I have a small business building composite things, so I have the skill to do it right. Don't have any info on the other questions, but I hope that helps.
Were you looking at the 3/8 rods that they kinda sell for go karts on that speedway motor website? And thanks for that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts