Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the numerous snowmobiling deaths so far this season, I think that this is a very good time for us to remember that snowmobiling and alcohol don't mix. Not all snowmobiling accidents are alcohol related but even a small percentage is too much. This is a very PREVENTABLE type of accident!!

To show my support, I have placed the ZERO TOLERANCE logo in my signature and I ask that you doo too to show your support for this very serious cause. I have hosted the logo in my own webspace for everyone to use.

The web address for the logo is

http://www3.sympatico.ca/rakelly2/zero_tolerance_large.jpg

Doo your part, show your support!!

·
SUPER DAVE
5,416 Posts
rampage said:

I'll drink to that!
[snapback]691820[/snapback]​
Hey my best friend lives in Holly, Mich on Quick rd near
7 lakes state park!

Anyway I have the Zero tolerance flag twisty tied to my left
ski loop!!!

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
sledheaddude800 said:
rampage said:

I'll drink to that!
7 lakes state park!

ski loop!!!
[snapback]691842[/snapback]​
I live right by there, on the other side of seven lakes.

I'm not trying to poke fun, I do think it's important to not ride drunk. I just don't like the 'zero tolerance' campaign. It implies that I'm not responsible enough to have a beer with lunch and then ride my sled, which, last time I checked, is legal here. Most people that crash who are drinking are also riding out of control. Most people who crash who aren't drinking are riding out of control. The way I see it, people riding like idiots is a bigger problem than people drinking a beer or two and putting around through the woods.
I also don't even agree with how the stats are collected for alcohol related accidents. It's like they already decided the outcome before they started collecting the stats.
Did you know if you crash your sled into a car, and the driver of the car was drunk, (but you weren't) then you were just in an 'alcohol related snowmobile accident' and they will record it that way...
If you stop in the bar for lunch and 2 beers and then go ride, and end up having to stuff your sled into the bushes to avoid a head on with some sober guy riding like a maniac on the wrong side of the trail, then guess what? It's an alcohol related snowmobile accident, even though your actions might have saved a life. I do agree riding drunk is a bad thing, but lots of the drinking and riding stats are BS, IMHO.

What about the picture of the crashed cat below, do we even know that guy was drinking?

·
Registered
395 Posts
i personally dont drink much, a six pack will last me about 8 months, but i have zero tolerance for any kind of spy on your neighbor program of any kind, if someone is way out of control ill try to talk to them but im sure not going to run and find someone thats going cause them a lot of legal and financial grief

·
The 2nd most interesting man in the world
2,936 Posts
I don't drink , but believe 0 tolerance is to harsh. I do think if you are drunk you shouldn't drive anything . Don't drive drunk ! Most drunk driving laws have provisions for drunk driving if an officer believes a person is intoxicated and manages to blow under legal limits. Even if a person isn't convicted the process is expensive and time consuming.

·
And...here.....we.....go.......
5,656 Posts
rampage said:
sledheaddude800 said:
rampage said:

I'll drink to that!
7 lakes state park!

ski loop!!!
[snapback]691842[/snapback]​
I live right by there, on the other side of seven lakes.

I'm not trying to poke fun, I do think it's important to not ride drunk. I just don't like the 'zero tolerance' campaign. It implies that I'm not responsible enough to have a beer with lunch and then ride my sled, which, last time I checked, is legal here. Most people that crash who are drinking are also riding out of control. Most people who crash who aren't drinking are riding out of control. The way I see it, people riding like idiots is a bigger problem than people drinking a beer or two and putting around through the woods.
I also don't even agree with how the stats are collected for alcohol related accidents. It's like they already decided the outcome before they started collecting the stats.
Did you know if you crash your sled into a car, and the driver of the car was drunk, (but you weren't) then you were just in an 'alcohol related snowmobile accident' and they will record it that way...
If you stop in the bar for lunch and 2 beers and then go ride, and end up having to stuff your sled into the bushes to avoid a head on with some sober guy riding like a maniac on the wrong side of the trail, then guess what? It's an alcohol related snowmobile accident, even though your actions might have saved a life. I do agree riding drunk is a bad thing, but lots of the drinking and riding stats are BS, IMHO.

What about the picture of the crashed cat below, do we even know that guy was drinking?
[snapback]691895[/snapback]​
That pic I put up was NOT drinking related.....just wanted to post a pic that would strike home what can happen WHEN you drink.....
The driver of that sled was NOT DRUNK.....just unlucky.

I just thought that the old saying would be true...."a picture's worth a thousand words".

Jerry

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
CustomRev said:
That pic I put up was NOT drinking related.....just wanted to post a pic that would strike home what can happen WHEN you drink.....
The driver of that sled was NOT DRUNK.....just unlucky.

I just thought that the old saying would be true...."a picture's worth a thousand words".

Jerry
[snapback]691971[/snapback]​
I'm confused.. this thread is all about people banding together to say we shoudln't even be allowed to drink one beer and then ride our sleds, (which I don't agree with) and somehow a picture of a sober guy who crashed is supposed to convince me? I wonder if he was really just 'unlucky' or if he was riding beyond his abilities...

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Alcohol has never caused an accident on it's own, it's the knucklehead behinds the bars or the wheel that's the problem.

I know my limits and if I want to have a beer maybe two in the course of a day on the trail I will.

I think the zero tolerence idea is quite frankly a pointless waste of time. People that drink too much will continue to do so regardless of what we talk about on websites. Do you really think anyone will be reformed by us talking about it on the internet?

·
free candy
2,444 Posts
rampage said:
I'm confused.. this thread is all about people banding together to say we shoudln't even be allowed to drink one beer and then ride our sleds, (which I don't agree with) and somehow a picture of a sober guy who crashed is supposed to convince me? I wonder if he was really just 'unlucky' or if he was riding beyond his abilities...
[snapback]691988[/snapback]​

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
dobbs said:
rampage said:
[snapback]691988[/snapback]​

[snapback]692087[/snapback]​

·
5,656 Posts
The alcohol issue is always a hot button. I'm not anti-alcohol, I like to pound a few when I can. I think, though, that many people, like myslef, have a hard time knowing just where the line is, and when it's crossed, between "having a couple" and being impaired. Whether or not you're impaired is sometimes hard to judge. We've all done it.....driven/ridden when we probably shouldn't have....and anyone knows that even ONE drink has the ability to impair judgement, reaction time, and so forth....
Common sense would dictate that with all of the challenges presented be riding a sled, bike, atv, or driving a car, you need to be in posession of your faculties, FULLY. That is why I always have had a rule that I don't drink AT ALL, even one beer, when I ride or drive.
I have, for a very long time, had a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for myself. I can't afford to crash my sled, wreck my car, or get a ticket when it could've been avoided.

This is my personal choice. You are entitled to yours.

To those of you who look at the pic I posted and say "how does that relate?", just imagine that accident (which was, to the best of my knowledge, alcohol free) had it involved alcohol.

Remeber, stupid hurts.

Please, be safe, and use your head when riding.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
CustomRev said:
The alcohol issue is always a hot button. I'm not anti-alcohol, I like to pound a few when I can. I think, though, that many people, like myslef, have a hard time knowing just where the line is, and when it's crossed, between "having a couple" and being impaired. Whether or not you're impaired is sometimes hard to judge. We've all done it.....driven/ridden when we probably shouldn't have....and anyone knows that even ONE drink has the ability to impair judgement, reaction time, and so forth....
Common sense would dictate that with all of the challenges presented be riding a sled, bike, atv, or driving a car, you need to be in posession of your faculties, FULLY. That is why I always have had a rule that I don't drink AT ALL, even one beer, when I ride or drive.
I have, for a very long time, had a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for myself. I can't afford to crash my sled, wreck my car, or get a ticket when it could've been avoided.

To those of you who look at the pic I posted and say "how does that relate?", just imagine that accident (which was, to the best of my knowledge, alcohol free) had it involved alcohol.

Remeber, stupid hurts.

Jerry
[snapback]692159[/snapback]​
I respect your personal decision not to drink and ride at all if you know you can't control your drinking. However, I still don't see how the pic of the sober guy crashing is supposed to convince anyone to not drink at all when they ride. Personally, I do all my 'fast' riding in the morning, before all the yahoos are out, and before I (and most other riders) have had any beers. If I do have a beer with lunch, I cut way back on my speeds and enjoy the scenery more during the afternoon. Even if I don't drink at all, I slow down in the afternoon, and especially in the evening. Maybe if that guy would have had a beer with lunch, (and if he had any brains) he wouldn't have wrecked at all because he might have been going slower... Just my opinion, not everyone turns into a booze-crazed psycho after one sip of the 'devils juice'...

·
Fanny
2,449 Posts
Im all in favor of the no tolerance ON BEER
Im not even all for the 2 beer Tolerance....... beer is icky!

To fit in with the beer drinkers I usually get a smirnoff....... SO I fit in ya know Its not brown but it comes in a glass bottle!

·
5,656 Posts
rampage said:
CustomRev said:

Remeber, stupid hurts.

Jerry
[snapback]692159[/snapback]​
I respect your personal decision not to drink and ride at all if you know you can't control your drinking. However, I still don't see how the pic of the sober guy crashing is supposed to convince anyone to not drink at all when they ride. Personally, I do all my 'fast' riding in the morning, before all the yahoos are out, and before I (and most other riders) have had any beers. If I do have a beer with lunch, I cut way back on my speeds and enjoy the scenery more during the afternoon. Even if I don't drink at all, I slow down in the afternoon, and especially in the evening. Maybe if that guy would have had a beer with lunch, (and if he had any brains) he wouldn't have wrecked at all because he might have been going slower... Just my opinion, not everyone turns into a booze-crazed psycho after one sip of the 'devils juice'...
[snapback]692242[/snapback]​
I think it's great that you drink responsibly when you ride, but unfortunately you are not always representative of other riders. One of the guys I used to ride with felt it was his responsibility to polish off a 6 pack everytime we rode....then things just got stupid. Yes, he did ride slower, but took more chances (dodging trees, jumping, etc...). And he always started a fight, one that usually resulted in him getting thrown down and held there.....not pretty, not what I ride for. Needless to say, he doesn't go with us anymore, doesn't call, and is not welcome. Without the booze, great guy.....drinking....instant buttwipe.
Again....I'm not anti-alcohol, just pro-common sense, and for ME that means no "jesus juice" when I ride.

I'll make you guys happy and not post any more on this topic.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.