Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Yuasa YTX20HL vs. YTX20HL-BS

19K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  DareDog 
#1 ·
Can somebody tell me the difference between the Yuasa YTX20HL and the YTX20HL-BS? My 800ETEC has the HL and my 850 has the HL-BS. I need a good battery for an 09 600ETEC I'm selling so I really wanted to take the one out of the 850 since that is the next oldest battery I have and I'd like the 850 to have the newest one for extreme cold weather starts. So will the BS version work in the 09 600 ETEC? Does the 850 need the BS version or will the HL work in in also? Thanks

#3 ·
I would get the BS due to the all the bouncing around. Make sure the post match, ie the positive and negatives are on the correct sides. In my grand touring the battery lays on its side and the post need to match for wire connections due to the wires made to length. I suspect this is also why the battery is sealed.

#5 ·
They are EXACTLY the same battery at the end of the day. The only difference is who fills it with acid and charges it.

"-BS" stands for Bottle Supplied.

On any AGM Yuasa battery, when you see the "-BS", it means that there is a bottle of acid in the box with the battery. The dealer or consumer must use that acid to fill it, cap it, and charge it.

When the "-BS" is absent from the part number on a Yuasa AGM battery, it's Factory Activated which means that Yuasa filled and charged it at their facility before shipping it to a distributor.

#7 ·
Battery in the 850 is specific to the 850 because of notch in exterior of battery to accommodate the mounting bracket. 850 battery will work in other sleds, but other sled batteries will not work in the 850 without modifying the bracket which is a PIA.
No, the 850 uses the same battery as most other Ski-doo's made since 2003.

#9 ·
So, the non BS should be fine in the 850. Is the 09 600's batt mounted sideways? Not sure if a BS will leak or not mounted that way.
Yes, an 09 XP 600 has the battery mounted sideways. I would describe it as mounted "on end".

The "-BS" has no relation to how it's mounted. See my explanation above. The type of battery determines how it can be mounted, in this case they are AGM. AGM stands for Absorbed Glass Mat which, just like it sounds, means that the acid is absorbed into the material inside the battery case. After it's absorbed, it's no longer a liquid, so it can't spill out. This is opposite a flooded acid battery, where the acid stays liquid inside the battery. These are the ones with clear or opaque cases where you can see the level of the fluid in them, and they have to be mounted upright so the acid doesn't spill out. Yuasa calls these their "Yumicron" or "Conventional" batteries.

#12 ·
From yuasa site
7462a4e6255060326ff18fac74c403d7.jpg
That's the lawyers covering their butt for liability reasons. If a consumer does something wrong, like doesn't let the acid soak into the mats before turning it on it's side in the machine, and acid leaks out and damages something or hurts someone, they're not liable because they told you to only use the factory activated version. Whereas if Yuasa filled the battery they know it was done correctly. It's not rocket science though, just follow the directions that come in the box.

Guys, I'm a buyer for a distributor in this industry, and Yuasa is one of the lines I buy. I've addressed this exact question with my contacts at Yuasa in the past. Trust me, these are the same batteries.

Reactions: 74Craig
#16 ·
Just pulled this original out of the 09. I'm going to replace it with a Chrome battery ytx20LBS factory sealed I purchased from the local fleet store for a whole 52 beans. I'm no longer wondering about the BS part but figure the first one did alrighty...

Attachments

#17 ·
Just pulled this original out of the 09. I'm going to replace it with a Chrome battery ytx20LBS factory sealed I purchased from the local fleet store for a whole 52 beans. I'm no longer wondering about the BS part but figure the first one did alrighty...
Yup... you did alrighty........ swapped out my 08 original last fall... ;)

#21 ·
#23 ·
Whats part number for Duracell battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.