Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son is 12 now, and am tired of repairing current sled, so... What sled is the right sled for a good, 13 year old (next season). He's right at 100 lbs. now, strong, and a good rider on the flats.

he's solid on leaning over his current indy 98 500. but no confidence to lean it in a side hill situation. but it outweighs him considerably.

I want to get him a follow me sled. But the current freestyle is to short on muscle, and the rumored 550 fan is interesting? but I'm worried it might only serve him for 1 or two years and he'd be ready for something real? Like should I do a rev 550f now and call it good for 4 or 5 years.

or am I missing the obvious pick? What do you guys think?

I'm a boon docker, and a powder only rider, I live in Idaho, with trail riding only happening to get me someplace good. give me some ideas. thanks.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I was 13 wen my dad bought me a 04 440 skandic. I was happy for the first year, but i've outgrown it and im unhappy with its performance and handeling. he said he regrets gettin that sled now, and just wanted something with a long track that was light so i would get stuck and have to walk home. I'd say a 550 mxz or summit is a good sled. They have good power and handle great. The rider centralized mass should make it easier to sidehill and boondock with confidense.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had an 04 600hosdi renegade x when I was 13 however I was turning 14 in 2 months not that 2 months makes a difference. I'm now 16 and still have my renegade its been a great sled. I have been skidooing basically since i was 5 or 6 though I guess that might make a difference. Your son doesnt have to drive it wide open all the time anyway its just nice to have the extra power when you need it. Also its good to know that 3 or 4 years down the line a 600 will still be powerful enough for him. So if you believe your son has the skill level get a 600 for him but make sure he knows its not his old indy 500.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My wife weighs in at a whopping 110 lbs. She is ridding a 2005 summit 600ho 144. She loves it, she can move it around pretty good and she follows me around into some pretty scary spots. I have had to ride her sled out of some sticky spots a few times but it has plenty of power and is light enough for her to move around on, plus she can start it......which she can't do with my 800. Get him a 600HO then you won't be buying him a new sled in a year!

·
Registered
11 Posts
sled said:
My 12 year old son is riding an 800 144 summit w/nos this year.......can't seem to get him off it.
[snapback]732345[/snapback]​
Wow My 12 yeasr old son is pretty tall and solidly built but he doesn't like the snappy throttle of my 800. He rides and likes a loaner Summitt 600 136". If I were to by him a sled I'd get a 550F. He'll out grow it in 2 or three years but then his sister, who is currently 9 years old will inherit it.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
My 9 year old is on a MX-Z 550F, he love it, i even like riding it.
If you are riding mountains, you might wont a 600.
The 550 F tops out at 120 km. lots fast enough for my kid. Installed a elec. start kit on it, was money well spent. Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the input, I'm waiting for the announcements for 07 I guess it will all be out around march 10th. I am wondering about the weight difference from a 550 f to a 600 ho 136 and the price difference too? Seems I must be missing something in between these also?

·
Registered
316 Posts
JAYTOO said:
I appreciate all the input, I'm waiting for the announcements for 07 I guess it will all be out around march 10th. I am wondering about the weight difference from a 550 f to a 600 ho 136 and the price difference too? Seems I must be missing something in between these also?
[snapback]733111[/snapback]​
I bought my wife a 500 ss and put a 121 1.5" paddle on it and it works great for her. They are getting rid of them for almost 3 grand less than the 600 sdi's and they only have 10 horse less. Plus, you can put a longer track on it fairly cheap. People are selling rail extensions and tunnel extensions for 150 bucks and tracks for 150 bucks on snowest. Last time I was at dealer, they had a 2005 500ss for 5300 bucks, 600 sdi summit was 8100.

·
Registered
326 Posts
600 summit might be a bit big at first but it would not take long for him to grow into it, and it should be good for along time. heck I still ride a 600, and my next one when I get out of college will be a 600 again. Well it might see some mods.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
get him a mach
then it will be done

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would get him another used sled rust for the simple reason he is 13. I am sure we all rember what we did at that age. Riding with your friends no parents around passing each other in the trails, riding down the roads to fast and spinning out. All the fun normal things you do at that age. It would really suck to have something bad happen to a brand new sled. Me and my sister were just rembering back when a friend of the family my sister and his brother were fooling around in a parking lot while my dad and myself were getting ready to go for a ride. He stuffed a brand new exicter so far under a station wagon that we had to jack the wagon up to get the sled out from under it. Pretty funny for me not so funny for his dad that now was proud owner of a 12 mile old exciter that was hit so hard it drove the jack shaft through the chain case. Just something to think about. I can't wait for my sons to be old enough to ride but they definetly will be riding used until atleast 16 or 17

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would buy him a used 550 summit rev. Excellent machine as it's light enough for him to boondock with and will teach him proper throttle control.

Buying him a liquid cooled rev is over kill in my opinion as the sled will be riding him on the hills.

·
Registered
212 Posts
We went riding yesterday. My son(12) got to spend some time on his cousins' 550 rev.
Comments: It kinda runs out'a power goin up that hill.

He also got to ride a 07 800 summit

Comments: That thing doesn't slow down, it just keeps on accelerating!

Dealer said he would add that to the comment list. We all got a chuckle from that.

·
Registered
212 Posts
airman17 said:
get him the smaller version of the snowhawk. That thing looks sweeeeet!!!
[snapback]733768[/snapback]​
I'm sure the smaller version wouldn't cut it......He gets around just fine on the 600

Looks like I'm gonna need the 800 version for myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
well my 13 yr old first year rode a 01 700mxz, at 15 rode 02 800mxzx,then 17 an 05 600sdi X renegade and nows he's 19 and loves it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts