Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GotBoost?
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about converting my 2003.5 BM REV to a 136" or 144" but I do ride the groomed trails a lot too so I wanted to know how your sleds handle now in the tight twisty trails? Does it push in the corners or more inside ski lift? I'm thinking a 1.5" paddle track with some studs down the middle.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
revmeup said:
Anybody who converted to 136 what are you running for a top gear please??
23 or 24T??
[snapback]716857[/snapback]​
24/47 on mine... but pulling 2" lugs..

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I did it. I really like the upgrade but there is a bit more controlled inside ski lift in twities. It's soooo much better off trail it's unbelievable. Check out my signature and pm me with any questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a 05' GSX 500ss Sport. I would like to pass on what I believe to be smart upgrades. I am 200 lbs, 43 y/o, agressive rider.

Keep in mind I like to modify things for performance over looks. Besides Red Line Oil I left the motor alone. And a few other minor misc mods. Much of my research was here on Doo Talk and HardCore Sledder

The major MODS:

What I have done is to install a Tracks USA 136" rail extension & tunnel extension, 1 1/4' Ripsaw track with 108 studs. The Ripsaw, I think is worth its weight in gold over the stock track. I wish Doo would put this on standard. I found the advantage of the 136" track makes hooking up so much better. That Ripsaw really digs in so well with its finger design.

To compensate for the 136 extension I dropped from a 22 tooth to a 21 tooth top gear in the chain case. Overall, trail riding is also improved. Especially in the bumps. It just seems to soak up/ smooth out the bumps that much better though I will admit any REV chassie is superior to regular non rider forward chassies.

There are pluses and minuses of a 121 to a 136. For trail riding I loved the 121 for its flickability. Power sliding into/out of corners. I am still able to do this on the 136 but it is harder to do so. The 136 really likes to hook up better, both braking into and accelerating out of corners. Of course the 136 helps in the deeper powder though this is not a strong point of the Ripsaw. But a 136 Ripsaw will perform better than a 121 stock track in powder.

Getting away form the track I also replaced all four shocks with Penske Racing aluminum bodied shocks form Custom Axis. They are closing out these shocks and bacuse of this they are blowing them out at $350 while supplies last. Regular price was over $800 each. I thought my HPG VR, HPG rear shocks were OK but the front Motion Control were not something to be desired. To keep the sled balanced I decided to do all four at the same time. They were custom built for my riding style and weight.

The track upgrade ran $700, the shocks were $1400 with myself doing all the labor. Looking back I could have been happy with just the shock upgrade though I am really happy with the track upgrade too. Those Penske shocks are soooo sweet! A 121 is so much fun whipping it around, great for trails but suffers a bit in powder. Tough to get all the 500ss ponies to the ground.

As a 136 is also great on trails. I can ride faster with more confidence, sometimes a perhaps dangerous thing? But it out-preforms when off trail/powder. And those ponies are hooking up much better. Though a track upgrade is in order for a 121 also.

All said and done my friends and I max out on their Cat F's at 35 mph on bumpy trails. On my REV 121 I would do 60 mph on the same trail/bumps. On the 136 I am easily doing 70 mph and climbing, literally laughing all the time while doing so. Not to mention I am using AT LEAST 3 gallions LESS of gas per TANK than them! Man these REV's are fun.....

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I had a 136 but the inside ski would lift a lot in hard cornering. also, If the back end would slide out in an icy corner, it would nearly flip when it grabbed snow again. never a problem with this on the 121.

otherwise, I like the traction of the 136 and it was a bad "edit for bad language", but I do 95% trail so i went back to a 121 with a 1.5" track. on the trails, not a sled that can keep up!

Had a bunch of modded AC, Yammaha, and poo's (that I had passed) try to keep up.....they just kept getting smaller and smaller. (smooth trails too so they can't make that argument!)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Im running a 1.5x136 on my SS w/ a 22/43 gear ratio. On the trails i find it better than the 121. It feels more planted to the ground due from the longer foot print, I find it not as tippy or squrrily as the 121.I think with the extra wt/ track on the back end it smoothes it out alot compared to the 121 which seams to buck you around more.

When i did mine i thought i'd have my hands full since the rev was knowen to push alot. But to my suprise w/ the 1.5 x136 pushing, i found the 4" factory bides to hold fairly well on the trail so far . I do plan on going to 6" for next season though.I also shimed the skis too, which i belive helps a bunch.

With studding it, it might be a whole new ball game since you will have more bite rather than spinning and slidding than a non -studded track has.

There's alot of people out there that has a gade and will tell you it rails. It's just a matter of set-up for that paticular rider. Take it for whats its worth but ill NEVER ride a 121 agian.. anywhere.

We will see how it acts this wknd up in the yopper , there calling for blizzard conds on top of 30" on the ground. There calling for another 12" by fri night.

Attachments

·
2011 RMK PRO 155
8,136 Posts
I morfed my 121 into a 136 Gade over this past summer, and now with over 1600 miles this season I LOVE it. Here are the specifics on my mods. Sled is a 2005 MXZ 800HO

Tracks USA Rail Extension
Doo's Tunnel Extension Kit
136x15x2 Polaris (Camoplast) Track
23-45 Gearing
9T Extro Drivers
Custom Rev*Baron rear Rack W/LED Tail Light
Doo Jerry Can
Installed X Package HPG C46 Rear Shocks
Installed X Package Piggyback HPG Front Shocks

As Far as Trail riding, I can Hardly notice any change from how The 121 Handled the turns, the bumps are another story, with the added length and X package shocks, it is not even like they are there, but the biggest advantage is off trail, and a sled I can take out West and ride.

Attachments

·
GotBoost?
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm already running a 1.25" Ripsaw so I know it makes a big difference on just a 121" sled. Does anyone know if you can just bolt a 136" skid out of a Gade into my sled or do the mounting holes need to be changed? Does anyone have a 121" skid they want to get rid of cheap? Thanks for the info guys.

·
2011 RMK PRO 155
8,136 Posts
Wicked_ZR said:
I'm already running a 1.25" Ripsaw so I know it makes a big difference on just a 121" sled. Does anyone know if you can just bolt a 136" skid out of a Gade into my sled or do the mounting holes need to be changed? Does anyone have a 121" skid they want to get rid of cheap? Thanks for the info guys.
[snapback]718129[/snapback]​
As far as I know the Gade 136 skid is different, Mounting holes and Brackets will not align. Best way to go is with Tracks USA ( http://www.tracksusa.com ) Rail Extensions.

·
PRoblEm CHiLd
3,931 Posts
Ive done the 121 to 136 conversion and from what i rode it so far I loved it I run a 136x1.5x16in track But i havent ridden it much since the begining the sled ran like crap for a while. finally figured out why rode one weekend but ran out od snow then last weekend I flipped it end over end going about 60mph. and havent gotten a true full ride out of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts