05 600 SDI Adrenaline.

Settings are....

Limiter strap up 1 hole.

Front shocks...lightest preload.

Suspension front shock.....Middle preload

Coupling block.....thick part back

Spring tension block..... #2 setting

The rest...?

I tried going to full preload on the front shock springs and the ski pressure and darting was worse...the info on the clutch cover confuses me....it says to get less steering effort, increase preload on front shocks.

I like the back suspension now, as far as bumps, it does feel a bit twitchy in the rear, but not as bad as prior to limiter adj.

The steering is REAL heavy on Hardpack trails, and when I had the preload on the front shocks up all the way, it had a mind of its own! Popey couldnt have steered it.

So, what is a good setting for all these things to get lighter ski pressure, good bump comfort, less darting and a more stable back end at speed and also when letting off the throttle into a turn?

·
FAQ man
3,848 Posts
Yeah, they mean to tighten the preload on the front shock of the rear suspension. This reduces ski pressure.

First reduce the spring pressure on the ski shocks, reduces ski pressure.

You can also turn the rear coupler block so that the fat side of the block is down. You should notice less ski pressure from this as well.

Good luck,
Jerry C

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Maybe if I...

Leave front shock preload at 0 or 1

Change front arm Preload to 1 off of Max

Leave spring tension at 2

Leave coupler set with thick facing back.

The coupling block.....what effect does it have between the 2 settings?

KK

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
put your straps back to stock,and don't couple suspension, raise your middle shock just past the middle or more,front shocks just past middle. Think about the changes.
If you want less steering efort ,you have to alow the front of the sled to raise,but by tightening the straps it won't alow the sled to rise up.
Rich

·
Ready for flight
2,505 Posts
First of all I have found that the middle spring controls ski pressure the more compression on the middle spring the less ski pressure. The front springs, the more you compress them the less ski pressure because it lifts the front end and shifts the weight to the track. Now the back springs depends on the weight of the rider,and the ride you want. I weigh 260 lbs so I have mine on the stiffest setting ,my middle spring is set to 1" from fully compressed,my front springs are on 4 . Now to the darting if you have taken the precicsion ski off put them back on ,park the sled on level ground get down and look to see if the carbides are sitting level on the ground. If they are not call Scott at Bergstrom skegs or bergstrom and get some shims,while you are there if you have picks in the track get a pair off 24" carbides(they call them 24" because they have 3 pcs of 8" carbide) put them on the inside of each ski. If you do not have picks ask Scott. The other thing is to make sure that your skis have a .125" toe out that means that you set the skis straight and measure between the centers of the back of the skis and the centers of the front skis and the difference should be 1/8 of an inch between the front and the back, with the front being the wider. I hope this helps , let me also say that everybody has a opinion and this is mine.

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
I have my rear springs on 4, centre shock on lowest compression, limiter strap is stock. front springs on 3 lowest compression. Suspension coupled( fat part facing back) . Inside carbides are Bergstrom Triple Point, outside are stock. Steering is excellent. If I turn the clicker up one on the centre shock, it steers alot heavier and darts.

·
Registered
393 Posts
First question...precisions or flex skis? If you have precisions, then you have to lessen the ski pressure and center shock. If you have flex skis, then do what I did.

I had the exact same problem on my sled as you are having. Crank the front ski preload down about 6 threads past #4 and increase preload on the center shock to the highest or next to highest setting (compressing the center spring more). Also, I let out my limiter strap one hole because I like the skis to come up and like the way I can control the steering pressure with the throttle. Increasing the tension on the center shock is what will make the big difference on the ski pressure. Before I made these corrections my sled darted so bad that it made riding unenjoyable.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks for the input....

Precision skis.....

Am I corret in this...

Front shocks pre load
More preload = more ski pressure
Less pre load = less ski pressure

It seemed to me that putting more preload in the front shocks caused it to be harder to turn. I went from stock...least pre load to most preload and it sure felt tough to turn. I also changed the front arm shock to be one more notch of pre load.

You guys are taliking about threads, but I only see the stepped adjustments on my shocks

Front Arm Pre load

More Pre load on spring = less ski pressure

Run block with fat part back to have less wt transfer

Rear spring tension set to my wt which is 175 w/o gear, so #2 setting

I thought a limiter adjustment would help the back end stop wagging like a dogs tail....

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
sucking up the limiter strap will put more weight on the skis, letting it out will take weight off skis

·
RAIN IS NOT AN OPTION!
687 Posts
Ok I need to throw my hat in the ring as totally confused!

I have a 2005 MZXZ 600 SDI. The is a new style for me coming from the ZX.

I just aligned my skis. I found that the center shock at about 1/4" past half way gives me excellent bottoming protection. My Limiter strap is at te next hole up from stock. My ride springs are on 3 and the rear coupling block is stock or on 1. My front ski shocks are at 3.

I am looking into getting the Bergstrom triple points for the insides. But still not sure of set up.

HELP!

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
SD440zx said:

I just aligned my skis. I found that the center shock at about 1/4" past half way gives me excellent bottoming protection. My Limiter strap is at te next hole up from stock. My ride springs are on 3 and the rear coupling block is stock or on 1. My front ski shocks are at 3.

I am looking into getting the Bergstrom triple points for the insides. But still not sure of set up.

HELP!

[snapback]311765[/snapback]​
what part of the setup are you not happy with??? what happens or does not happen that you want changed??

·
RAIN IS NOT AN OPTION!
687 Posts
doo rider said:
SD440zx said:

HELP!

[snapback]311765[/snapback]​
what part of the setup are you not happy with??? what happens or does not happen that you want changed??
[snapback]311769[/snapback]​
It pushes in the corners. Sine I did the ski alignment I noticed less Darting. I am hoping with the 18" Bergstrom triple points I would push so bad. Do you think I should back off to 2 on the front shocks? Will this help?

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
With this style riding you need to really lean on the inside ski with your body, if you want this thing to turn. Also if you get the center shock up too much it will act tippy in turns.percisions will push thats the nature of the beast
These are my observations.
Rich

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
I found that the Bergstroms helped me alot with the turning in the corners. It still pushes in deep snow, and a little bit in loose snow, but it bites like crazy now with the triple points on groomed trails.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
SD440zx (MZXZ ??) 05 X is an SC-4,as in the avatar, not an SC-III like the others.

Different beast, and yes you need arms like Popeye !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts