Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Honda CBR F4I and I have a Yoshimura tri-oval exhaust on it and love the sound to death. I have not found any pipe out there that sounds like these for sleds. I was thinking, if a bike runs up to 16,000RPM fine, a bike exhaust keeps sound, can handle heat, and is high flow enough to move pressure fast. Since a sled runs higher RPM, and not much problem with heat, why could you not put a bike exhaust on a sled? One person said I'd be buying new rings and cylinders before long and I want to know why. This aftermarket exhausts on sled don't sound a hell of a lot of different from a bike exhaust. Same RPM range, pipe size, ....am i missing something?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
was also told just to stay with stock....anybody else out there with mbrp or other aftermarket sled exhausts replacing rings and cylinders?

·
Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it Snow
1,015 Posts
First off bike pipes are built specifically for four stroke motors. You cannot install a can off a pipe and expect any good results. Even with bikes you have to redesign the header to make it have any true gains.

A two stroke pipe is designed to scavenge any unspent fuel and create a certain amount of back pressure that matches the jetting of the carburetors. The early days of sleds just used regular old mufflers and pipes but the soon learned that "tuning" a pipe to the motor brought a ton of benefits. Another reason for the quieter aftermarket pipes on sleds is due to the high attention on noise. Cracking a set of pipes open across a snowy field at 8 in the morning will aggrivatet he snot out of the snowmobile haters. They have quieted the pipes down in an effort to not become defunct companies thanks to the government.

Wireless101 said:
I have a 2003 Honda CBR F4I and I have a Yoshimura tri-oval exhaust on it and love the sound to death. I have not found any pipe out there that sounds like these for sleds. I was thinking, if a bike runs up to 16,000RPM fine, a bike exhaust keeps sound, can handle heat, and is high flow enough to move pressure fast. Since a sled runs higher RPM, and not much problem with heat, why could you not put a bike exhaust on a sled? One person said I'd be buying new rings and cylinders before long and I want to know why. This aftermarket exhausts on sled don't sound a hell of a lot of different from a bike exhaust. Same RPM range, pipe size, ....am i missing something?
[snapback]725338[/snapback]​

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Polardoo said:
First off bike pipes are built specifically for four stroke motors. You cannot install a can off a pipe and expect any good results. Even with bikes you have to redesign the header to make it have any true gains.

A two stroke pipe is designed to scavenge any unspent fuel and create a certain amount of back pressure that matches the jetting of the carburetors. The early days of sleds just used regular old mufflers and pipes but the soon learned that "tuning" a pipe to the motor brought a ton of benefits. Another reason for the quieter aftermarket pipes on sleds is due to the high attention on noise. Cracking a set of pipes open across a snowy field at 8 in the morning will aggrivatet he snot out of the snowmobile haters. They have quieted the pipes down in an effort to not become defunct companies thanks to the government.

Wireless101 said:
[snapback]725338[/snapback]​
[snapback]725359[/snapback]​
What aftermarket sled can do you recommend then knowing on what type of sound i'm looking for I don't need it loud, it's just yoshimura has a low low rumble that i love if you have ever heard them before....

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you want a low rumble try a 4 stroke sled....

·
Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it Snow
1,015 Posts
For a low rumble you will have to go four stroke if you want a sharp brap sound go mrbp. Personally I am not a fan of pipes. The argument that noises saves means nothing to me cause the guy on the piped sled can't hear a thing beyond his own sled. To each his own though just give the poor guy in front a second to realize your pullin up to pass before you gun the motor. Nothing like havin heart attack on the trail

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.