Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
I was able to borrow a 2006 Yamaha Attak last weekend. It had 300 km's on it when I picked it up, and 500 km's on it when I dropped it off.

During the test ride I was able to compare it to a 2005 MX Z Renegade 800 PTEK and a 2005 Mach Z 1000SDI with a 136" track and HPG T/A's; so essentially it was a Mach Z converted into a 2006 MX Z Renegade X 1000SDI.

Temperatures were around -15 C.

Rider Positioning;

There's no doubt that you sit further forward on the Rev, but the seating on the Attak is very comfortable. You can position yourself on the Attak so that your feet are underneath your hips, which makes for easy transitions from sitting to standing. The handlebars are in a good spot. I would prefer a straighter bar with an adjustable riser. On sharp turns I found the bar was hitting my chest too much. I sit as far forward as possible on the Attak and Rev at all times when I'm not standing. The seat is soft. Too soft for me, but the sculpting of it is great for standing and switching from running board to running board. The height is good on it for a 5'7" rider. My legs were spread wider on the Attak vs. the Rev while sitting far forward, but it wasn't uncomfortable. The footwells on the Attak are not flat, but with the seating position I didn't find myself wanting to put my feet in the footwells anyway because at that point your feet would not be under your hips, and you would feel more of the rough trail on your back if you held your feet in the footwells. I did use the footwells for powder riding, but that's all. The windshield is useless, much like the X windscreen on the Rev's. There is a bit more wind coverage on the Attak provided by the larger body of the machine up front. Also there was no bashing the shins against the jagged panels from this rider.

Electonics;

Yamaha's guages are sweet, and superior to those on the Rev. The guages offer you 2 different trip meters, a clock, an analog RPM display, a digital speedometer and a reading of barometric pressure...I guess that's cool, but unless you know what it means and you actually give a crap, I have no use for it. I'd like to see things like air temperature, airbox temperature, engine temperature, pipe temperature...those are more interesting to me....if the engine's computer is already reading this stuff, throw it on the guages. The guages also offer you a plain overheat light. There's also a light that goes out to let you know when the engine is up to operating temperature to prevent cold drive-away's (although I waited for the heat exchangers to be warm cause I think the light goes out too fast), a high beam light, a digital fuel guage (unsure of accuracy), digital hand and thumb warmer level indicators, an engine warning indicator like the Rev engine light, another warning light (not sure what for), a rear suspension indicator (applicable for the E-Ohlins shock on other models), a low fuel indicator since you don't know how to read the digital fuel guage (lol) and an oil level warning indicator. The sled also has a DC jack standard. Where's the heated visor outlet? Should be standard on all sleds these days. Operation of the electronics was good for the most part. I did find the handle bar warmers a little weak on high and have read from owners who have the same issue. The thumb warmer was plenty warm though. The windshield doesn't block the wind at your hands, but those warmers should get hotter regardless. Overall, the electonics on a rev pale in comparison.

Cold starts;

Fuel injection on the Attak is as smooth as it gets. Granted we weren't faced with -40 temps, the engine fires up instantly with the turn of the key and idles like a car...higher RPM's for the first half minute during warm-up, then it idles down gradually according to engine temperature. Easy starts, no choke, no fouled plugs, no hassles, but if your battery dies, time for a boost because like SDI, when she's dead, she's dead.

Handling; Attak vs. Rev vs. RT

Rough Trail:

All that talk about the Attak being a bump eater? All the people who claim the Attak doesn't kick you around in the 3 foot moguls? Well, they certainly aren't blowing smoke. The Attak made a believer out of me as soon as I hit the rough trail. The suspesion set up was stock, the only thing I played with was the Remote Adjuster for the rear suspension dampening. Yamaha has done a fine job setting up the handling on this sled, regardless of the weight one thing is for sure, it handles the bumps amazingly without kicking the crap out of you and to all the dis-believers, I can tell you now that the Attak handles straight-line moguls within 10% of a difference of the Rev (as in, almost as good) and it surpasses the handling of the RT in the bumps, no doubt. I played with the RA quite a bit and found myself using 2 settings, softest, and hardest. In rough trail I set it to hardest. I'm 125 pounds and throughout 200 km's I bottomed the rear suspension out 3 times, and the front end never bottomed. (except off the ice roads) Considering the weight of this thing, I'm impressed, big time. There is still room underneath the rear to make the suspension softer or stiffer...I'm not sure what a 200 pound guy would do to this rear suspension but it certainly worked for me. The range of adjustability on the RA is HUGE, I even found it to be too fine, but more adjustability is better than not enough in this case. The location of the dial is, well...there's room for improvement. I'd like to know how the Electonic Ohlins are working, cause that would be much handier...as long as it would be just as durable. That being said, the RA adjuster is far better than getting off your Rev and playing with a tool kit. I usually adjusted the rear on the fly. While sitting through the moguls on an an Attak, the Rev doesn't kick you around like the Attak does, but standing eliminates this problem. Now for a negative aspect of the Attak in the bumps, if you are talking corner to corner moguls...forget it. At that point the Attak shows its weight and you'll end up in the bush before you keep up to a Rev, however compared to an RT, the Attak is better, by about 20% corner to corner. Don't forget the weight difference between the Attak and RT isn't much, and handling wise I think the Attak is better compared to the RT class of sleds, even though the 1000SDI will leave the 1000FI Attak in its dust.

Smooth trail:

The Attak purs...you don't know how much it weighs and with the flawless acceleration and powerband, it is sweet, I'll declare the Rev/RT/Attak even in this category.

Lake Running:

This is where I found myself setting the RA to softest, and it was a plush ride for sure. The torque of this motor is unbelievable throughout the powerband. Whether you are at 50% throttle or 90% throttle and you punch it, you feel the difference with no hesitation. I stretched the legs of it out to 185 km/h on the dream-o-meter with the 136 x 15 x 1.25 ripsaw track. Will it beat a PowerTEK with the same track? It'd be to close to call, there's no clear winner in my books. Again, the Mach will leave the Attak in its dust.

Flat Land Powder Riding:

How much does the Attak weigh because I couldn't feel a thing! I carved that puppy through flat land powder with ease, even with the crappy ripsaw track. This is where I found myself using the toeholds, and it was effortless, I found it even easier than pulling over my Rev Renegade in the deep stuff. Compare it to the RT Renegade and forget it, the RT is a pig, it plainly sucks in the powder compared to the Attak and Rev...the RT is just too front heavy, so a big plus to Yamaha for finding ways to disguise the weight of that big motor in the powder. Hitting the trails after the powder, my RA switch was all gummed up with snow...like I said, the electronic one would be nice...and unless you have tiny fingers, count on taking your mitts/gloves off to adjust that puppy.

Hill Climbing/Powder Riding:

Call in the troops, cause this thing gets stuck and it gets stuck real fast! Let's remember that the 1.25" ripsaw track is for hardpacked conditions with minimal loose snow, and in the powder the ripsaw sucks big time. Add to that the weight of the Attak and I needed a winch to get this thing up the hill. What's going to help balance out the weight? A 144" x 15 or 16" x 1.5" track would be sweet on the Attak and transform this machine into the hill/powder capabilities of a Renegade Rev, if not better. There's a reason Yammi's Mountain sled has a 162" x 16" track on it. One thing I found is that the running boards need to be a little bit wider near the back end on the Attak. I can't remember if they narrowed at all, but I found myself missing the board with my rear foot while switching from side to side on this machine.

A True Crossover Sled?

We know that the Crossfire and Switchback are better at eating powder than bumps, while the Renegade wins in the Bump eating department over powder. The Attak may be Yammi's competition for BRP's Renegade, but it won't do what the Gade can in the powder. For 2007 Yamaha will be offering more entry level 4 strokes, but it would be nice if they offered a longer track option for the Attak because if you are a occassional powder rider, the stock form just isn't enough in the deep stuff.

Storage;

There is none, not really anyway. No rack or hitch offered by Yamaha, a big negative for the type of riding I do...something else I hope they'd change, but it isn't likely to improve anytime soon.

Ski's;

Like a track upgrade, the Attak would benefit like any sled from a decent set of ski's. I think my Powder Pro's would do wonders for the Attak, but a ski upgrade alone wouldn't make this puppy climb any better than it does in stock form.

Engine Compartment;

Don't drop your wedding ring in there, cause it's gone. It's a tight space under the flimsy hoods...the snap style latches aren't my favourite, but you shouldn't be under the hood often on this 1000cc 4 stroke anyway, right?

Maintenance;

Yammi's manual calls for very little maintenance with an oil change ever 4000 km's and a filter change every 20,000 km's. I don't know where the filter is, but when the dealer does the valves at 20,000 k, they can do the filter too. What about the Fuel Injection Adjustments recommended every 4000 km's? No better than repetitive SDI updates in my opinion....I don't want to be bringing it into a dealer every 4000 km's. I suppose it's better than blowing motors and waiting for back ordered parts though, right BRP?

Noise/Vibration;

The vibration is minimal, but there's some noise in the track that gets annoying, maybe because you can hear it over the engine. I watched as the control rod did its work as opposed to limiter straps, and as the front of the track went over each mogul, there was a distrubing clunk that really made me wonder if something was breaking...to my knowledge, it's normal. As far as the sled engine actually being quieter than a 2 stroke? I thought it was louder at trail speeds...I don't know what Yammi does to the exhaust, but I have a feeling it could be a lot quieter than it is, but they like making it sound cool cause that's all uneducated buyers care about in the showroom.

Economy;

Fuel...the same as the PowerTEK. EPA certified = fuel efficient, there's no huge differences out there in economy from EPA certified 4 strokes to 2 strokes. Even the SDI can beat this FI in fuel range. Oil? Didn't burn any.

Cooling;

Never overheated and was in ample snow conditions, but I'm not used to those heat exchangers under the running boards. It kept the boards clean for the most part, except after letting the machine cool off and having nice slippery ice on top of them. There's another cooler near the driveshaft, and there's a car-like radiator with a fan in the engine compartment to help with cooling. I've read about guys still having problems and installing the optional rear heat exchanger. Yammi wants to save weight, but I think it should come stock.

Overall look;

Meh, I don't care what it looks like at this point, like everything else it takes getting used to, all I've noted is that my next snowmobile jacket should be black to fit with whatever product I buy next.

Conclusion;

Am I surprised by the way this beast handles? You bet. Is the Attak better than the Renegade overall? No, it isn't in my opinion, but it is close, very close in some categories. At which point does a consumer look at reliability as their #1 factor in buying a sled? How much handling are you willing to give up to get that reliability? With our conditions and my riding style, 10% loss in handling is worth a reliable engine, and then some. Throw that 144" track on with a rack that will hold 25 litres of fuel and a hitch that can tow a boggan load of firewood the odd time and I'm sold. There's no doubt Yamaha has come out with a sled in its first year of production that is making heads turn and making the choice of what your next sled will be, a more difficult one. One thing is for sure, forget the magazines and even what I say about it, get yourself on one if you have a chance for a full days ride and you may not want to give it back...you will be impressed. Watch out BRP, there's a new leader at your doorstep that without a doubt in my mind will take top spot in sales. Give it 5 years. 4 stroke technology in snowmobiles is just starting to get good.

Video Review;

http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/albu...notrax_0001.wmv

YK

·
planes take off against the wind
15,035 Posts
Well its about dang time....

looks like one of my dessertations....

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yellowknife said:
I was able to borrow a 2006 Yamaha Attak last weekend. It had 300 km's on it when I picked it up, and 500 km's on it when I dropped it off.

During the test ride I was able to compare it to a 2005 MX Z Renegade 800 PTEK and a 2005 Mach Z 1000SDI with a 136" track and HPG T/A's; so essentially it was a Mach Z converted into a 2006 MX Z Renegade X 1000SDI.

Temperatures were around -15 C.

Rider Positioning;

There's no doubt that you sit further forward on the Rev, but the seating on the Attak is very comfortable. You can position yourself on the Attak so that your feet are underneath your hips, which makes for easy transitions from sitting to standing. The handlebars are in a good spot. I would prefer a straighter bar with an adjustable riser. On sharp turns I found the bar was hitting my chest too much. I sit as far forward as possible on the Attak and Rev at all times when I'm not standing. The seat is soft. Too soft for me, but the sculpting of it is great for standing and switching from running board to running board. The height is good on it for a 5'7" rider. My legs were spread wider on the Attak vs. the Rev while sitting far forward, but it wasn't uncomfortable. The footwells on the Attak are not flat, but with the seating position I didn't find myself wanting to put my feet in the footwells anyway because at that point your feet would not be under your hips, and you would feel more of the rough trail on your back if you held your feet in the footwells. I did use the footwells for powder riding, but that's all. The windshield is useless, much like the X windscreen on the Rev's. There is a bit more wind coverage on the Attak provided by the larger body of the machine up front. Also there was no bashing the shins against the jagged panels from this rider.

Electonics;

Yamaha's guages are sweet, and superior to those on the Rev. The guages offer you 2 different trip meters, a clock, an analog RPM display, a digital speedometer and a reading of barometric pressure...I guess that's cool, but unless you know what it means and you actually give a crap, I have no use for it. I'd like to see things like air temperature, airbox temperature, engine temperature, pipe temperature...those are more interesting to me....if the engine's computer is already reading this stuff, throw it on the guages. The guages also offer you a plain overheat light. There's also a light that goes out to let you know when the engine is up to operating temperature to prevent cold drive-away's (although I waited for the heat exchangers to be warm cause I think the light goes out too fast), a high beam light, a digital fuel guage (unsure of accuracy), digital hand and thumb warmer level indicators, an engine warning indicator like the Rev engine light, another warning light (not sure what for), a rear suspension indicator (applicable for the E-Ohlins shock on other models), a low fuel indicator since you don't know how to read the digital fuel guage (lol) and an oil level warning indicator. The sled also has a DC jack standard. Where's the heated visor outlet? Should be standard on all sleds these days. Operation of the electronics was good for the most part. I did find the handle bar warmers a little weak on high and have read from owners who have the same issue. The thumb warmer was plenty warm though. The windshield doesn't block the wind at your hands, but those warmers should get hotter regardless. Overall, the electonics on a rev pale in comparison.

Cold starts;

Fuel injection on the Attak is as smooth as it gets. Granted we weren't faced with -40 temps, the engine fires up instantly with the turn of the key and idles like a car...higher RPM's for the first half minute during warm-up, then it idles down gradually according to engine temperature. Easy starts, no choke, no fouled plugs, no hassles, but if your battery dies, time for a boost because like SDI, when she's dead, she's dead.

Handling; Attak vs. Rev vs. RT

Rough Trail:

All that talk about the Attak being a bump eater? All the people who claim the Attak doesn't kick you around in the 3 foot moguls? Well, they certainly aren't blowing smoke. The Attak made a believer out of me as soon as I hit the rough trail. The suspesion set up was stock, the only thing I played with was the Remote Adjuster for the rear suspension dampening. Yamaha has done a fine job setting up the handling on this sled, regardless of the weight one thing is for sure, it handles the bumps amazingly without kicking the crap out of you and to all the dis-believers, I can tell you now that the Attak handles straight-line moguls within 10% of a difference of the Rev (as in, almost as good) and it surpasses the handling of the RT in the bumps, no doubt. I played with the RA quite a bit and found myself using 2 settings, softest, and hardest. In rough trail I set it to hardest. I'm 125 pounds and throughout 200 km's I bottomed the rear suspension out 3 times, and the front end never bottomed. (except off the ice roads) Considering the weight of this thing, I'm impressed, big time. There is still room underneath the rear to make the suspension softer or stiffer...I'm not sure what a 200 pound guy would do to this rear suspension but it certainly worked for me. The range of adjustability on the RA is HUGE, I even found it to be too fine, but more adjustability is better than not enough in this case. The location of the dial is, well...there's room for improvement. I'd like to know how the Electonic Ohlins are working, cause that would be much handier...as long as it would be just as durable. That being said, the RA adjuster is far better than getting off your Rev and playing with a tool kit. I usually adjusted the rear on the fly. While sitting through the moguls on an an Attak, the Rev doesn't kick you around like the Attak does, but standing eliminates this problem. Now for a negative aspect of the Attak in the bumps, if you are talking corner to corner moguls...forget it. At that point the Attak shows its weight and you'll end up in the bush before you keep up to a Rev, however compared to an RT, the Attak is better, by about 20% corner to corner. Don't forget the weight difference between the Attak and RT isn't much, and handling wise I think the Attak is better compared to the RT class of sleds, even though the 1000SDI will leave the 1000FI Attak in its dust.

Smooth trail:

The Attak purs...you don't know how much it weighs and with the flawless acceleration and powerband, it is sweet, I'll declare the Rev/RT/Attak even in this category.

Lake Running:

This is where I found myself setting the RA to softest, and it was a plush ride for sure. The torque of this motor is unbelievable throughout the powerband. Whether you are at 50% throttle or 90% throttle and you punch it, you feel the difference with no hesitation. I stretched the legs of it out to 185 km/h on the dream-o-meter with the 136 x 15 x 1.25 ripsaw track. Will it beat a PowerTEK with the same track? It'd be to close to call, there's no clear winner in my books. Again, the Mach will leave the Attak in its dust.

Flat Land Powder Riding:

How much does the Attak weigh because I couldn't feel a thing! I carved that puppy through flat land powder with ease, even with the crappy ripsaw track. This is where I found myself using the toeholds, and it was effortless, I found it even easier than pulling over my Rev Renegade in the deep stuff. Compare it to the RT Renegade and forget it, the RT is a pig, it plainly sucks in the powder compared to the Attak and Rev...the RT is just too front heavy, so a big plus to Yamaha for finding ways to disguise the weight of that big motor in the powder. Hitting the trails after the powder, my RA switch was all gummed up with snow...like I said, the electronic one would be nice...and unless you have tiny fingers, count on taking your mitts/gloves off to adjust that puppy.

Hill Climbing/Powder Riding:

Call in the troops, cause this thing gets stuck and it gets stuck real fast! Let's remember that the 1.25" ripsaw track is for hardpacked conditions with minimal loose snow, and in the powder the ripsaw sucks big time. Add to that the weight of the Attak and I needed a winch to get this thing up the hill. What's going to help balance out the weight? A 144" x 15 or 16" x 1.5" track would be sweet on the Attak and transform this machine into the hill/powder capabilities of a Renegade Rev, if not better. There's a reason Yammi's Mountain sled has a 162" x 16" track on it. One thing I found is that the running boards need to be a little bit wider near the back end on the Attak. I can't remember if they narrowed at all, but I found myself missing the board with my rear foot while switching from side to side on this machine.

A True Crossover Sled?

We know that the Crossfire and Switchback are better at eating powder than bumps, while the Renegade wins in the Bump eating department over powder. The Attak may be Yammi's competition for BRP's Renegade, but it won't do what the Gade can in the powder. For 2007 Yamaha will be offering more entry level 4 strokes, but it would be nice if they offered a longer track option for the Attak because if you are a occassional powder rider, the stock form just isn't enough in the deep stuff.

Storage;

There is none, not really anyway. No rack or hitch offered by Yamaha, a big negative for the type of riding I do...something else I hope they'd change, but it isn't likely to improve anytime soon.

Ski's;

Like a track upgrade, the Attak would benefit like any sled from a decent set of ski's. I think my Powder Pro's would do wonders for the Attak, but a ski upgrade alone wouldn't make this puppy climb any better than it does in stock form.

Engine Compartment;

Don't drop your wedding ring in there, cause it's gone. It's a tight space under the flimsy hoods...the snap style latches aren't my favourite, but you shouldn't be under the hood often on this 1000cc 4 stroke anyway, right?

Maintenance;

Yammi's manual calls for very little maintenance with an oil change ever 4000 km's and a filter change every 20,000 km's. I don't know where the filter is, but when the dealer does the valves at 20,000 k, they can do the filter too. What about the Fuel Injection Adjustments recommended every 4000 km's? No better than repetitive SDI updates in my opinion....I don't want to be bringing it into a dealer every 4000 km's. I suppose it's better than blowing motors and waiting for back ordered parts though, right BRP?

Noise/Vibration;

The vibration is minimal, but there's some noise in the track that gets annoying, maybe because you can hear it over the engine. I watched as the control rod did its work as opposed to limiter straps, and as the front of the track went over each mogul, there was a distrubing clunk that really made me wonder if something was breaking...to my knowledge, it's normal. As far as the sled engine actually being quieter than a 2 stroke? I thought it was louder at trail speeds...I don't know what Yammi does to the exhaust, but I have a feeling it could be a lot quieter than it is, but they like making it sound cool cause that's all uneducated buyers care about in the showroom.

Economy;

Fuel...the same as the PowerTEK. EPA certified = fuel efficient, there's no huge differences out there in economy from EPA certified 4 strokes to 2 strokes. Even the SDI can beat this FI in fuel range. Oil? Didn't burn any.

Cooling;

Never overheated and was in ample snow conditions, but I'm not used to those heat exchangers under the running boards. It kept the boards clean for the most part, except after letting the machine cool off and having nice slippery ice on top of them. There's another cooler near the driveshaft, and there's a car-like radiator with a fan in the engine compartment to help with cooling. I've read about guys still having problems and installing the optional rear heat exchanger. Yammi wants to save weight, but I think it should come stock.

Overall look;

Meh, I don't care what it looks like at this point, like everything else it takes getting used to, all I've noted is that my next snowmobile jacket should be black to fit with whatever product I buy next.

Conclusion;

Am I surprised by the way this beast handles? You bet. Is the Attak better than the Renegade overall? No, it isn't in my opinion, but it is close, very close in some categories. At which point does a consumer look at reliability as their #1 factor in buying a sled? How much handling are you willing to give up to get that reliability? With our conditions and my riding style, 10% loss in handling is worth a reliable engine, and then some. Throw that 144" track on with a rack that will hold 25 litres of fuel and a hitch that can tow a boggan load of firewood the odd time and I'm sold. There's no doubt Yamaha has come out with a sled in its first year of production that is making heads turn and making the choice of what your next sled will be, a more difficult one. One thing is for sure, forget the magazines and even what I say about it, get yourself on one if you have a chance for a full days ride and you may not want to give it back...you will be impressed. Watch out BRP, there's a new leader at your doorstep that without a doubt in my mind will take top spot in sales. Give it 5 years. 4 stroke technology in snowmobiles is just starting to get good.

Video Review;

It isn't ready yet due to a lack of a damned computer, but the footage is shot and I will add the video link to this thread as soon as I get her done so you can see my review in action. Hope you liked my written report!! Any questions, let me know.

YK
[snapback]705475[/snapback]​
THATS A EXCEPTIONAL FAIR COMPARISON. TASTEFULLY DONE,AND VERY TO THE POINT. WELL DONE

·
Registered
632 Posts
Fantastic review, YK. It's great to read your comparisons, and knowing that you do put lots of miles on your sled tells me that you know what your talking about.

However, for your next review can you do something about the "I'm 125 lbs"...last time I was 125 lbs...I think I was in Grade 6 or 7 and it was the 70's.

It would be interesting to put a 1 3/4" x 15 or 16 track on that puppy...similar to the 'Gade.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
We rode with an Apex Yesterday, and lets just say the sleds owner was offering it to everyone in the group because the trails were nasty rough and twisty! I never tried it, because I was afraid my Rev would be gone for an hour and my back would be junk.

Glad you enjoyed the sled!

Now wait till 07 and they might be ahead of Doo's in some of those areas!

·
15,035 Posts
Yellowknife said:
Electonics;

Yamaha's guages are sweet, and superior to those on the Rev. The guages offer you 2 different trip meters, a clock, an analog RPM display, a digital speedometer and a reading of barometric pressure...I guess that's cool, but unless you know what it means and you actually give a crap, I have no use for it. I'd like to see things like air temperature, airbox temperature, engine temperature, pipe temperature...those are more interesting to me....if the engine's computer is already reading this stuff, throw it on the guages.

maybe squish can confirm but I thought the mach has 2 odos as well?
I agree things like exhaust temp, air temp would be better... that data is in the MPEM now, a simple code subprogram would display it.

Yellowknife said:
but if your battery dies, time for a boost because like SDI, when she's dead, she's dead.

The Mach w/elect has a back up capacitor to run the electronics for a back up to the pull start. Not sure how it works, never needed it, but in a pinch it beats carrying jumper cables.

[/quote]
and handling wise I think the Attak is better compared to the RT class of sleds,

[/quote]
how much of that would you consider to be because of squishes special shocks? (for comparison purposes?)

[/quote]
top spot in sales. Give it 5 years. 4 stroke technology in snowmobiles is just starting to get good.
[/quote]

DANG - you write that yourself? You should consider moonlighting for the mags.... I see an author in our midst...

Great JOB!!!!

Everyone - give YK a round of applause for this great effort ....

(it was almost worth the wait...
) (j/k)

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
What are "Electonics" ???

Something new ???

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
YK,

Good, thorough review...thanks for your thoughts...not many of us get to try out the different sleds first hand...

However...

....first you got the Yammie Grizzly

....now you're trying out the Yammie Attak

....seems to me like you're moving to the dark side...

..come back ....YK.....come baaaaaaaaacccckkk......

·
15,035 Posts
Bobadoo said:
What are "Electonics" ???

Something new ???

[snapback]705550[/snapback]​
good catch- is that like Ebonics?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Awesome review YK.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Great work, Allan !!

I concur with the rough trail assessment, I had a chance to ride for a bit, and in the tough corner to corner moguls the damned thing tried to leap off into the trees !

Lakes...
When I squeezed the fun flipper on a few lakes I had to hang on for dear life as that puppy leaped into warp speed instantly...scary fast.

But I really liked getting back on my REV after the quick test ride....ahhhhhh !!

maybe in a few more years...

__.02.gif

hit_the_fan.gif

Attachments

·
E-Tec Rules
33,599 Posts
i am gonig to buy some elctonics at wallmart

great review
:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Wait till the video comes out,Allen is a very tallented rider and to watch him carve the Attack in the powder made it look like a light weight sled.Now I got to get him to pilot my Mach at the local snow drags.Hey Papasled,you should have seen your eyes when you reved up the Attack ,priceless.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks YK for a very well done review!! It's great to get honest impressions and observations without all the brand loyalty bashing! Again great job!

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
squish band said:
Wait till the video comes out,Allen is a very tallented rider and to watch him carve the Attack in the powder made it look like a light weight sled.Now I got to get him to pilot my Mach at the local snow drags.Hey Papasled,you should have seen your eyes when you reved up the Attack ,priceless.
[snapback]705601[/snapback]​
Oh, I believe you, that thing sounded like a finely tuned street bike, growling to be unleashed !!
Not that I'm a sucker for that kinda thing....

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Awesome review, very well done. When I rode an attak it offered extreme resistance to turning on hardpack or soft snow, your thoughts? I also noticed excessive body roll in smooth corners and was very tippy when standing up, did you notice that? I also rode a rt 1000 gadeX and thought it was better in the bumps than my rev x but like the attak the bumpier it got the more the weight was noticed. I would appreciate your response as you got more seat time than I did. My weight 225.

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
zdooman said:
The Mach w/elect has a back up capacitor to run the electronics for a back up to the pull start. Not sure how it works, never needed it, but in a pinch it beats carrying jumper cables.

yeah all that backup crap isn't foolproof. I had it on my SDI and it worked sometimes and sometimes it didn't, it depended how dead the battery was. The jumper cables are actually standard/fixed on the battery of the Attak...at least it was on this one.

zdooman said:
how much of that would you consider to be because of squishes special shocks? (for comparison purposes?)

Squish's HPG T/A's should make the RT handle the best it can, but it still couldn't keep up with the Attak in rough trail.

·
Registered
235 Posts
papasled said:
squish band said:
[snapback]705601[/snapback]​
Oh, I believe you, that thing sounded like a finely tuned street bike, growling to be unleashed !!
Not that I'm a sucker for that kinda thing....

[snapback]705659[/snapback]​
I am

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jeb said:
Awesome review, very well done. When I rode an attak it offered extreme resistance to turning on hardpack or soft snow, your thoughts? I also noticed excessive body roll in smooth corners and was very tippy when standing up, did you notice that? I also rode a rt 1000 gadeX and thought it was better in the bumps than my rev x but like the attak the bumpier it got the more the weight was noticed. I would appreciate your response as you got more seat time than I did. My weight 225.
[snapback]705674[/snapback]​
I noticed some lighter than preferred ski pressure, but there's plenty of adjustments available to tweak that out, I didn't bother with changing the weight transfer and steering effort although it looks easy to do in the manual. I did find it tippy in my first 50 km's, but I got used to it, I don't think it's a negative thing, just a 'getting used to it' thing...kinda like some people feel the rev is tippy and too high when they first try it out...no big deal.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.