Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Is there a trick or any helpful tips on removal and installation of the inner 2, lower y pipe bolts?? In preparation for installing my estart next week, I pulled my y pipe off. One inside lower bolt was missing an the other was a P.I.A. To get out. The other 6 were easy with my t handle. Is there a special wrench to get at those inner 2? Thanks in advance. I'd like those 2 to go in nice and easy when I re-install the y pipe.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Is there a trick or any helpful tips on removal and installation of the inner 2, lower y pipe bolts?? In preparation for installing my estart next week, I pulled my y pipe off. One inside lower bolt was missing an the other was a P.I.A. To get out. The other 6 were easy with my t handle. Is there a special wrench to get at those inner 2? Thanks in advance. I'd like those 2 to go in nice and easy when I re-install the y pipe.
Take a piece of paper or shop towel and stuff it between your allen wrench extension and socket head screw. You'll have it right when the screw is "stuck" on the extension. Working with your fingers, no ratchet, get the screw started. Simply remove ball end extension when screw is in. I put a few drops of Loctite #271 on the first few threads, done dozens of y-pipes and haven't had one come loose. If you use Loctite and the old fastners clean them up with some brake cleaner first.

You learn all kinds of work arounds when maintaining fighter aircraft, everything is a pain in the [email protected]@ to get to.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Nice tips, good techniques are worth their weight in gold!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nice tips, good techniques are worth their weight in gold!
Throw the old washers away and install Nord Loc Washers and you will never have to worry about them lossening up or a bolt falling out again. You can get them from Macmaster Carr.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Throw the old washers away and install Nord Loc Washers and you will never have to worry about them lossening up or a bolt falling out again. You can get them from Macmaster Carr.
I did order some nord loc's from a member on here. I'm waiting for them to get here. They shipped from VT yesterday. I figured that I should do something since one was missing and 2 others were loose.

·
Registered
555 Posts
While cleaning up my "05" 600HO, I found 1 bolt missing, one half out and the rest a little loose and oil under the y-pipe, I have nord locks installed already ,2 seasons ago. They are the proper size and bolts were torqued while motor was out for re-build. So yes you still have to worry about them, I'm not the only one that has experienced this, do a search, You still need to check them every season, I didn't and I could have lost my engine on the many lakes I zipped accross last winter. Just a FYI

1 - 6 of 6 Posts