Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just looking for some information from you guys in regards to front suspension damage. I recently discovered a large rock with my left ski while breaking trail and have bent some suspension/chassis components. The impact was enough to push the strut assembly back about 2 inches and up slightly and shear some bolts that hold the front panel/bumper. My tie rod now touches the frame when I steer (I had to file some of the aluminum frame out to be able to travel). I can only imagine that I am not the first person to do this to a XU frame and I was wondering if anyone else has needed to repair this. Can you re-bend the frame tube that runs between the struts? Do you think it will have an impact on the strut itself?

I will post pictures later today.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
I've heard of someone bending a pogo tube back. The cross-member piece will likely have to be replaced. The strut spline and steering arm should also be inspected for damage.

Reactions: suv1

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Fellas,

Here are some pictures of the damage, I had had a chance to look at a couple sleds and see that this is a common "wear" issue with the Pogo suspension. Not sure if we are just hard on equipment round here with not much snow or its a common problem. Do Revel springs help with this as the ski doesn't bottom out as much? Or is it just a faction of hitting obstacles with the ski just right?

Similar to other incidents people may have had? I have it at the dealer right now to see what parts need replacing. I will need the cross member for sure as well as a new tie rod and a couple bolts that sheared off but other than that I don't know what else needs replacing.

You can see where the tie rod was wearing against the aluminum frame. We had to file a small portion of that frame off to get it out of the bush.

What do you guys think?

12809520_10153565293593867_1554834868499

12065583_10153565293548867_4470254863192

·
7,718 Posts
Routine damage up here, not a really big deal to chg out, motor can stay in e-module. If you catch a rock hard enough, at the right angle, with enough speed, this will happen.

There usually isn't anything else to worry about, crossmember is all that usually needs replacing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that can be quite the problem then isn't it! Too bad the part that breaks costs 500$! Could be worse I guess. We will see what the dealer says later this week/next week and maybe I will just fix it myself.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ouch. Got a quote back from the dealer. I didn't get a price for each item specifically but I did reference the prices listed on World of Powersports lists. All prices are approx.

Parts to be replaced
Cross member - $500

Steering arm - $100

Carbide - $80

LH Body pannel - $150

Tie Rod - $50

Misc

Total rebuild estimate

$2700

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
why replace the plastic? It certainly appears serviceable from that pic.

If it is an insurance claim, why the excitement over the bottom line?

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
so for @ 900 you can unbolt bent stuff and install new stuff yourself. Just unbolting and bolting, about as simple and straightforward as it gets. Take pics as you go if needed as reference.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't worry, if it wasn't for insurance I would be doing the R&R myself. However I don't feel like shelving money out to a company every year to not utilize the coverage when available. I do find it rather unfortunate how much labour is required for such a R&R as it most likely outpaces the parts required.

I am not too worried about the price of the work more trying to put more information out on the costs associated with the repairs. I looked for other information online but was unable to find any, thus the thread. Maybe someone else will encounter a similar circumstance and come looking on this forums wealth of information. They may find it of use.

Do you guys think that Revel springs may have helped in a similar scenario? I can only imagine that my suspension bottomed out and thats when the damage occurred. If I had revel sings, potentially the springs may have absorbed a bit more of the damage? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
It's hard to say. Depending on how you hit, it could have made all the difference having the Revel springs and/or shocks, or it could have folded anyway. In some situations it would help for sure, but if you stuff your ski under a log while cruising along, it won't matter how nice the suspension is.

·
Registered
369 Posts
While the Revel springs are a simple, cheap, and fantastic upgrade I speculate they would not have prevented the damage. It sounds like it was a head on collision with an immovable object, not an instance of upward force absorbable by a spring/shock. I think you were lucky to avoid greater sled damage and personal injury. I assume a substantial force is needed to jam the entire fork tube/cross frame straight back like that. Would an aftermarket car suspension mitigate frontal collision impact with a fire hydrant? I doubt it.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
keep the stuff they take off.most of it looks fairly serviceable in case you do this again but worse after you drop full coverage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem last year with a skandic after I hit a stump under the snow right between the 2 pogos.

My left pogo went back like 4 inch and the right one advanced foward maybe 1 inch.

The left steering arm was stuck in the e module aluminium frame and i couldnt drive it anymore.

Back at home, ive installed two big eye-bolts in my concreate floor (one each side of the garage) (got them at the mine were I work)

Attached one pogo to a sling, the other one to another sling with a 5t come-along.

Ive been able to bring back both pogo to nearly original angle.

The e-module did not break or move but the black pipe between both pogo's had so much distorsion that a fissure appear under it.

Showed it to the dealer and he was telling me I should not run the sled. He estimated the reparation to around 3K $.

6000 km later its still going realy well.

I check the black pipe every time I go out just the make sure the fissure is still the same.

Depend on what you do with ur sled but usualy, we dont jump 10 feets high with skandic ! :p

At the end it costed zero and the sled still ride like a charm. It just break my hearth because i know about it but what can i do :p

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Bending it back under pressure works but weakens the steel, it'll bend again, apart from changing the whole unit best cut off the bent part and weld another HD tube to the pogo, that's what i be doing if....i mean when i bend mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know it should bend again but thats why im saying its only a skandic.

Theres no reason why it should bend again unless you hit something again.

I would wait for a bigger accident before calling insurance or put money out of my pocket.

It cost nothing to try to bend it back, and with the photos weve saw the impact wasnt realy big.

Hes only problem is the steering arm stuck in the e module. Hes black pipe seem to be ok.

It depend on what ever he want to repair it , keep it or sell it later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts