Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Xrs_800
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 6,800 miles of hard riding its time to rebuild the ole girl. She's been to 9 States to ride and been trailered over 25,000 miles. Seems crazy but the amount of trips out west she's seen and made it though was impressive. She rode up to Ptarmigan's peak in Vail Pass Colorado at 12,555 FT. Then several trips to West Yellowstone and over Two Top MTN. The reason for a rebuild before she goes boom is due to being held wide open for miles on end and the deep powder riding out west. Also if it does go boom I lose my core fee for $700.
Here's some photos of some cool rides she's been apart.

The orginal motor's crank runout was 0.002 on a dial indicator and 130psi of compression. The runout has not changed for the last 2,500miles. The compression has dropped 10psi every 750 to 1,000 miles for the last 2 years. I was very surprised to see the crank was straight with blowing several belts over the years. This sled had the piston recall and updates done at 300 miles only so not really a factor on miles on the motor.

Here's the build list:
Brand new short block from brp
4 new motor mounts
New thermostat
New Ripsaw 2 1.25 track
New Woody's grand master studs (126 total)
New bearings in the chain case
New chain
New Bronze oilite a arm bushings (orginal oilite bushings only made it 5k miles)
New springs
New spring retainers

Here's what's been done over the last 2 years
Rebuilt clutches
Rave valves cleaned
Plugs yearly
Skid bushings replaces
Shocks rebuilt x3
Fuel filter x2
Recoil x3
Reeds
Intake boots
Motor mounts x2
Brakes x2
Belts. (Yes belts with a "s" for several lol) x4
I'm sure I'm forgetting alot when it comes to parts I've thrown at her.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Nature Automotive design Lighting
Helmet Vehicle Tire Motorcycle Sports gear
Cloud Sky Snowmobile Vehicle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood
Cloud Sky Water Vehicle Snow

Attachments

·
Xrs_800
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The track swap is complete. New chain case bearings and seals installed. Also did the brake side bearing. At 6,800 miles that bearing had a lot of play. Not a ton of grease left in it either.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29,654 Posts
The orginal motor's crank runout was 0.002 on a dial indicator and 130psi of compression. The runout has not changed for the last 2,500miles. The compression has dropped 10psi every 750 to 1,000 miles for the last 2 years. I was very surprised to see the crank was straight with blowing several belts over the years.
That crankshafts was built like a truck. 0.002" with over 6K miles??? Wow!

The compression decay is worrisome. Do you think the piston skirts are collapsing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts