Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
After a long winter on the sidelines I'm spring ordering another Renegade, I had a x ordered last year but could not take it, now i can and thinking i should go with the xrs. Im 250 lbs with no gear and ride 50/50 groomed trails to bumpy trails. Im a aggressive rider but in no way a racer, just wondering if the xrs will be to stiff.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have a 2014 X and spent a lot of time on a 2014 XRS also, my X bottoms on HARD hits and bigger (5-8 feet of air) jumps. It handles typical bumpy trails awesome 4-8 inches moguls just feel like a slight chop and the seat is awesome. The XRS has a hard narrow seat and is very rough in the stutters but sucks up the big stuff AWSOME. I'm 150 lbs and the owner of the XRS is 220 ish and we both have the same thoughts on the sleds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Its hard to get away from the visually appealing black XRS when not being able to try/sit on them, Is there a difference in seats, the specs on both say REV-XP® X® narrow seat with 5 L / 1.3 gal of storage. I would rather the comfort so i guess I'm leaning towards the x, but the only problem is i had a 08x shorty that i could bottom out on the same bumpy trails i will be riding on and i have gained a few pounds since that sled.. so in the same thought the xrs might be the better choice, and now i have come full circle and still don't know what to do, on the plus side at least this is the the biggest problem in my life at this moment

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Its hard to get away from the visually appealing XRS when not being able to try/sit on them, Is there a difference in seats, the specs on both say REV-XP® X® narrow seat with 5 L / 1.3 gal of storage. I would rather the comfort so i guess I'm leaning towards the x, but the only problem is i had a 08x shorty that i could bottom out on the same bumpy trails i will be riding on and i have gained a few pounds since that sled.. so in the same thought the xrs might be the better choice, and now i have come full circle and still don't know what to do, on the plus side at least this is the the biggest problem in my life at this moment
you will be fine on an XRS, no worries. I have XRS shocks with valving a little stiffer than stock and stiffer rear springs and I can make mine very smooth if needed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you will be fine on an XRS, no worries. I have XRS shocks with valving a little stiffer than stock and stiffer rear springs and I can make mine very smooth if needed.
I won't lie thats what i was hoping to hear, Just curious Is there a difference in stiffness in seats??

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I just rode the 15 XRS and didn't have a prob with he seat. I have an x now and didn't notice a difference. I'm 240 and didn't think the XRS was too stiff. You will need the extra stiffness that the XRS has . I added stiffer rear springs to my x and never bottomed out. I'm told the XRS is already stiffer by 1 than the x. Go with the XRS

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
no, the xrs seat is a little narrower and I prefer it in tight trails for ease of leaning side to side, the x seat is a little wider and maybe a bit more comfortable for sitting long rides but both seats are excellent. On the xrs you just need to lower front spring preload from the high ride height they come with and go with a little more compression and rebound dampening.

Reactions: Rye242424

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got a 14 xrs 800 and enjoy it very much. I am 6' 3'' and weigh 220 and I don't find the seat hard or suspension stiff. We put on

300km days and it's comfortable. The rear suspension is set any where from 2.5 to 4 on the remote adjusters. Front suspension

springs are at factory soft setting and I find this works for me. I don't think the '14 are valved as stiff as years past from what I read.

But this is my first xrs and haven't ridden an earlier model to compare it too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I used to have an 2011 Pro R rush and it was a stiff ride. I also rode a 2012 MXZ XRS and was not impressed at all. The looks of the new XRS is exactly what I want but I'm not sure if I'm better off getting the Gade X. Currently I have a 2012 MXZ X and love it. Only reason I'm thinking of a Gade is the ride quality and traction, The 2012 Gade X I rode was the nicest riding sled ever but I hope I don't lose and iota of the handling I currently have. Heck, or maybe I'll wait for the 2016 cuz I want more power :)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The Gade XRS will probably be a good in between.. .the XRS has a higher riding position to favor going fast in the chatters and more travel to absord big ones.. i prefer the X but if you top 220lbs, you will need a bigger spring in the back if you want to stay Under 3 inches sag... the XRS is really a snowcross machine.. IMO not the top trail machine if you do more then 100 miles a day...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I won't lie thats what i was hoping to hear, Just curious Is there a difference in stiffness in seats??
I'm leaning towards the 15 XRS and have the same concern on stiffness. It sounds though like the XRS isn't that much stiffer than the X. If I find the seat too firm, I will either buy an aftermarket or buy the 15X seat from the on-line parts store.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Everyone that has tried my XRS comments how stiff it is. For the same when I get off mine and on another I feel less connected to the trail. I like the stiffness, and the feed back, Most of all what I love about the XRS is nothing can sneak up on you and buck you sideways when riding aggressive. It even tracks straight when ridden hard into braking bumps off the throttle, which is a first for me on any sled. I have hit huge holes in the trail at 50+ mph, it soaked them up, used the travel, and rebounded under control. It is set up for my weight, 180 lbs, and most clickers are near the top for my riding style. Your local trail conditions should be the deciding factor. If I lived in an area with better grooming I don't know that the XRS would be my choice.

The only time I wish I was on something else is studder bumps. 6-8 inch bumps can actually make it hard to see on the XRS, the bumps become vibration and will shake your head so fast it can blur your vision. Reducing the rear compression in these conditions helps, but its still very stiff. Also riding with my wife trailing behind I find myself having to push it, and wait. Adjusting and riding the same speed as her causes the sled to ride to harsh. I expend more energy trying to go at a slower pace. Coming out of a corner and holding it wide open through 2-3 ft bumps is nothing short of amazing on a XRS. A sled that will bottom out in that situation can cause damage to the machine and rider rather quickly.

If you are not going to constantly push the sled to the limits the x is probably for you. If you want to ride as if there are no trail conditions that can slow you down, the xrs is the one.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Either Sled Needs A Professional Re-Valve To Reach Its Full Potential For Your Particular Weight And riding Style/Conditions.

If You're The Kind Of Guy Who Doesn't Want To Spend The Money On Revalving Shocks....Figure The X Will Be Softer, The Xrs Will Be More Stiff.

Do You Stand Often? Xrs Has A More Forward Steering Post Yes?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I just rode the 15 XRS and didn't have a prob with he seat. I have an x now and didn't notice a difference. I'm 240 and didn't think the XRS was too stiff. You will need the extra stiffness that the XRS has . I added stiffer rear springs to my x and never bottomed out. I'm told the XRS is already stiffer by 1 than the x. Go with the XRS
I keep hearing the damping is stiffer on the XRS but not the springs. I wish someone from Ski Doo could confirm the spring package on the 15 XRS. I am quite pleased with my 2014 Rene X with 1 up on all 6 springs. Although, I think it could use more rebound damping in the rear.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks guys for all the info.

There is lots of good advise here, this site is great.

We have some amazing trails around here that i enjoy riding on where the X would be perfect, but i also spend time on a bumpy trail up to the camp across a lake where the 1.5 track on the XRS will be handy.

My weight (250 lbs) seems to be the big factor.

So right now if i go with the X ill need to buy bigger springs and eventually a bigger lugged track.

or go with the XRS that may or may not already have a stiffer spring and has the bigger track just not sure if it will be soft enough for the day trips on groomed trails.

If the XRS can be softened up enough to be a decent trail sled for me, i think ill go with it.

Can someone post a link to some good reading on how shocks work, e.g. compression, rebound damping, re-vavling ... because i really don't know much about it.

Thanks again guys for all your input

Here's a few more questions to some of the comments.

If you are not going to constantly push the sled to the limits the x is probably for you. If you want to ride as if there are no trail conditions that can slow you down, the xrs is the one.
This is great, just wondering how much you weigh?

Can this be confirmed.

no, the xrs seat is a little narrower and I prefer it in tight trails for ease of leaning side to side, the x seat is a little wider and maybe a bit more comfortable for sitting long rides but both seats are excellent. On the xrs you just need to lower front spring preload from the high ride height they come with and go with a little more compression and rebound dampening.
Is this a adjustment on the shock or something that I need to pay to have done?

I've got a 14 xrs 800 and enjoy it very much. I am 6' 3'' and weigh 220 and I don't find the seat hard or suspension stiff. We put on

300km days and it's comfortable. The rear suspension is set any where from 2.5 to 4 on the remote adjusters. Front suspension

springs are at factory soft setting and I find this works for me. I don't think the '14 are valved as stiff as years past from what I read.

But this is my first xrs and haven't ridden an earlier model to compare it too.
What kind of riding are you doing? Groomed trails or ditch banging?

Either Sled Needs A Professional Re-Valve To Reach Its Full Potential For Your Particular Weight And riding Style/Conditions.

If You're The Kind Of Guy Who Doesn't Want To Spend The Money On Revalving Shocks....Figure The X Will Be Softer, The Xrs Will Be More Stiff.

Do You Stand Often? Xrs Has A More Forward Steering Post Yes?
If i find the XRS to stiff, can i re-valve it softer? How much does that cost?

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Thanks guys for all the info.

There is lots of good advise here, this site is great.

We have some amazing trails around here that i enjoy riding on where the X would be perfect, but i also spend time on a bumpy trail up to the camp across a lake where the 1.5 track on the XRS will be handy.

My weight (250 lbs) seems to be the big factor.

So right now if i go with the X ill need to buy bigger springs and eventually a bigger lugged track.

or go with the XRS that may or may not already have a stiffer spring and has the bigger track just not sure if it will be soft enough for the day trips on groomed trails.

If the XRS can be softened up enough to be a decent trail sled for me, i think ill go with it.

Can someone post a link to some good reading on how shocks work, e.g. compression, rebound damping, re-vavling ... because i really don't know much about it.

Thanks again guys for all your input

Here's a few more questions to some of the comments.

This is great, just wondering how much you weigh?

Can this be confirmed.

Is this a adjustment on the shock or something that I need to pay to have done?

What kind of riding are you doing? Groomed trails or ditch banging?

If i find the XRS to stiff, can i re-valve it softer? How much does that cost?
Adjustment is on the front shocks. back off preload to 1.75" of threads showing, front bumper should be 19" of the ground and crank compression up and rebound almost all the way.

It will not be too stiff for you unless you are looking for a gsx type ride.

Springs are the same as the x, thicker shock shaft and slightly larger diameter shocks feel a bit firmer but no problem. I have 2000 miles on mine with XRS shocks valved stiffer, ctr tender 1 firmer and rear springs next size up and I can make it ride plush. I have a few miles on a 2014 xrs with all stock valving but heavy 270-271 rears and that thing rides like a dream. Shocks can always be re-valved if needed but you will not need it. An x model would be fine also.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
The Gade XRS will probably be a good in between.. .the XRS has a higher riding position to favor going fast in the chatters and more travel to absord big ones.. i prefer the X but if you top 220lbs, you will need a bigger spring in the back if you want to stay Under 3 inches sag... the XRS is really a snowcross machine.. IMO not the top trail machine if you do more then 100 miles a day...
I disagree completely, an Xrs is a great trail machine 2-300 miles a day no problem for the right rider. If you use the stock front sring preload position then it is not a lot of fun in the corners because your ride height is to high. Back that off properly and you can rail with it. If you are less than 180 lbs it may be firm if you ride slow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Adjustment is on the front shocks. back off preload to 1.75" of threads showing, front bumper should be 19" of the ground and crank compression up and rebound almost all the way.

It will not be too stiff for you unless you are looking for a gsx type ride.

Springs are the same as the x, thicker shock shaft and slightly larger diameter shocks feel a bit firmer but no problem. I have 2000 miles on mine with XRS shocks valved stiffer, ctr tender 1 firmer and rear springs next size up and I can make it ride plush. I have a few miles on a 2014 xrs with all stock valving but heavy 270-271 rears and that thing rides like a dream. Shocks can always be re-valved if needed but you will not need it. An x model would be fine also.
Not looking for a gsx, just worried ill regret buying the XRS because its too stiff for me, I know the X will be fine but I want the bigger track and love the look of the all black XRS.

I feel comfortable ordering the XRS now but i'll wait until i go see them in Barrie on the 29th. :Cheers to all you guys that take a minute to share your knowledge.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts