Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for tips on suspension setup for my 2015 XRS 600. I'm a newbie when it comes to sled setup - it seems completely different than bikes, so I am struggling a bit. My sled is all stock except for Curve XS skis, Ice Cobra 1.6, and swaybar disconnect (I usually ride with it disconnected. I seems to handle moguls/bumps better this way). I come from a motocross background and am an aggressive trail rider with some off-trail, prefer timing/blitzing moguls and tight whooped out single-track. I weight 240 geared up. I can do my own rebuild/revalve, just am not sure which direction to go.

Overall the valving and bump absorption feels good to me, but I think the sled could handle better. fast stutter bumps are a little harsh feeling.

I purchased a race manual for my sled and it recommends some spring changes and one shim change on the center shock for a x-country setup. Has anyone tried this?

• The specs are" 135 lb/in front springs
  • 222/190 center springs
  • Mixing 2 different torsion springs: one 1.66-80 torsion, one 1.35-80 torsion
  • changing one center shock shim (18-t0.144).

I've also spoken with Hygear and they recommended a 1/4" lowering kit for the front of the sled with dual rate springs. I'd be curious to try this - it looks like the parts to do it are only about $25.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I raced the Skidoo XRS 600 in 2011 before it was cool to race the production motors. Everyone laughed at me for racing a "trail sled." With that being said a lot of the fellow racers on the converted sno-x sleds had a lot of money into shocks to change them over to XC racing. All that I did was exactly what you said below. It basically changed the stock XRS shocks to a little bit stiffer set up for a light weight sno-x rider. It was amazing! From my understanding that is the shock set up that now comes with the new Iron-dog XRS sleds. Just a we bit stiffer. It really helped when you got into the high speed woop sections that is for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I raced the Skidoo XRS 600 in 2011 before it was cool to race the production motors. Everyone laughed at me for racing a "trail sled." With that being said a lot of the fellow racers on the converted sno-x sleds had a lot of money into shocks to change them over to XC racing. All that I did was exactly what you said below. It basically changed the stock XRS shocks to a little bit stiffer set up for a light weight sno-x rider. It was amazing! From my understanding that is the shock set up that now comes with the new Iron-dog XRS sleds. Just a we bit stiffer. It really helped when you got into the high speed woop sections that is for sure.
OK cool. That's good feedback. Yeah, I saw that the Iron Dog comes with stiffer suspension than the standard XRS. I think its interesting that the XRS keeps getting softer and softer over time, since it was originally one of the more hardcore consumer sleds you could buy

The part numbers on the springs in the race manual dont show up as a normal Skidoo part. Im assuming I need to buy them from the race department - any idea if normal consumers can buy stuff from them, or do I need to find someone who has a race account with them?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
You should be able to call the skidoo race truck at 1-320-251-2882. Basically you are calling Warnert Racing and they will place the order for you through Quebec.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Private message me if you'd like. I have the stock springs off my RS (fronts, center and rear torsions) that might work really well for you.

When you run without the sway bar you need much stiffer front springs.

Let me know and I can give you some setup pointers...between RS and XRS and some of my experiences.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i just bought a 2015 600 etec MXZ - XS with no manual and believe all the shocks are too soft. i will go a season before i make major changes. Need to figure out what all the dials are

1 - 6 of 6 Posts