Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First ride 2016 xrs torsion springs on 2, 200 miles snow flap started dragging. Set torsion to 5 flap only inches off ground. I had gas caddy, empty quick link bag, I'm 190. Thoughts

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Do you have any rebound in the rear shock? Probably pooched from the factory. Seems BRP is getting very lax with their shocks.

·
Registered
814 Posts
My riding buddy's stock set up (2016 XRS) can be set very soft. We started at the softest settings and he's probably 190 dressed. I think he is cranking up the torsions and the preload on all 3 coiled shocks and is firming up compression and rebound as well. Sure seems like these aren't the XRSs of yesterday that came from the factory in full beast mode no matter what you did to the settings. His is X soft for sure last ride IMO, which is way too soft for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven'tn adjusting the rebound on rear shock yet, torsion spring on 2 setting for first 200 miles was great then snow flap started to rub so I adjusted to 5 and only inches off snow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do you have any rebound in the rear shock? Probably pooched from the factory. Seems BRP is getting very lax with their shocks.
I just noticed the same thing with my '15 xrs the other day. What do you mean by rebound and how do you check it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will try adjusting the compression settings, but when I sit down it is only 2 " of the ground and doesn;t come back up. Worth a try.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Torsion spring spacers really do help... I'd look into that. Make or buy your own

Also, is your ride height set up correctly?

·
Registered
43 Posts
"PIT GRUNT" just nailed it, it needs to touch the ground to help with cooling. I ride a 2016 XRS and i weight 165 all wet, and it touches the ground with the fuel caddy in the back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm 190 without gear and I had fuel caddy on, link bag was empty. I did go and adjust front center shock collar as I was trying to dial in front ski shocks and downward pressure. To adjust ride height (sag) I started with torsion springs on 2 and and after 200 miles flap started to drag and i went immediately to 5 and flap was 2" of ground. If I put anything is Q link bag I expect flap will constantly drag. I had 2013 renegade X and never had flap on ground loaded with overnight bag as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Same here; I rode 953 miles last week on a fresh Freeride with sag set to specs and all the shock clickers in the middle with torsions on 2. I only bottomed in the hardest washouts, and seemed to do well enough over fast stutter bumps, especially standing up. Now; in my warm garage, I can press down on the tail and it will only come up a portion of the way, unless I pick up on the grab bar, then it will stay.

·
Registered
814 Posts
It shouldn't pop all the way back up when you get off. Look up how to set up the suspension properly, there are a ton of written descriptions and videos. All you need is a tape measure for measurements l, pencil and a ratchet strap (to loop around garage or barn joists ) to take the weight off the springs as you're getting your starting point. I tend to start at the softest and work my way stiffer until i get where I need to be. Others will say start in at the middle settings and tweak it from there. The big thing is understanding what you're aiming for on each measurement and documenting your starting point.

·
Registered
814 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Maybe something is going on with the XRS shocks, I don't know, but my sled, which at the time was a 2012 tnt, did this last year. The front shock on the rear skid was shot and had no nitrogen in it whatsoever. The rear suspension would eventually collapse and not return. Didn't matter where the springs where set at. The colder the weather the worse it was. Sitting in a warm garage, it seemed fine. I ended up tearing out the shocks in a hotel parking lot in Vermont, found it was the front shock causing the problem. I replaced it with a good used shock to finish out the season which was nearly over at that point. So maybe its worth checking to see if the shock is charged properly for starters.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
"PIT GRUNT" just nailed it, it needs to touch the ground to help with cooling. I ride a 2016 XRS and i weight 165 all wet, and it touches the ground with the fuel caddy in the back.
tend to disagree with that . on the 12 xrs was dragging and i was bottoming all the time . put in stiffer springs and ran 2 inches above the snow , rarely bottomed and cooling was fine . The iron dog is much stiffer and flap stays above snow and might bottom once or twice a ride when landing hard . digital guage shows 45- 50 degrees celcius with flap above the snow or 4-4.5 bars . That is with studded tracks which will make more snow dust on hard pack.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts