Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into building a turbo 1200 and am wondering what pieces I have to buy and what is involved in puting xp plastics on a xr.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am looking into building a turbo 1200 and am wondering what pieces I have to buy and what is involved in puting xp plastics on a xr.
I am also wondering what is involved for this. I have a turbo 1200 mountain sled and want to put a narrower front end on it and xp plastics. Anybody have any ideas for different front ends also.

·
Registered
371 Posts

From what I have heard and read on this topic, I believe that the battery has to be mounted 90 degrees from its original location and the stock 1200 primary will hit/rub on the xp side panel.

·
boost junkie
10,690 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

How involved is the xp plastic on the xr danraywpd?
It's not too hard. You need all of the xp plastic like mentioned above. You also need a smaller muffler, relocate the overflow tank (I extended the lines and mounted it in the xp spot under the hood), relocate the fuse panel (I made a bracket to mount the reverse switch and the fuses), and either spin the battery 90 degrees OR buy a shorter battery that will fit with mods to the battery box. If you don't have a turbo you need a header. Also need an xp bumper

·
Registered
371 Posts

How involved is the xp plastic on the xr danraywpd?
Its actually easier than I thought. Just takes some time to get all the pieces.
these are the XP parts you will need.
- XP air box, hood, Console(use the 2011 model) c/w two vent panels, gauge pod, windshield, side panels w/ filler panels, belly pan/nose cone, Lateral shells (side panels attach to them) and front bumper.
1) Basically the belly pan bolts right up, you don't even have to drill any holes!
2) Front bumper bolts right up, you will need to make two brackets (from the front bumper bolt holes, down to the chassis if you want to lift the front of the sled).
3) Air box fits right on the frame supports. You will need to cut down the end of the XR air tube (the part that fits into the air box) to fit it into the XP air box.
4) after that just install the lateral shells, nose cone, console, hood, and gauge pod.
5) I left the coolant tank in the same spot as factory. With the 2011 console there is a vent that is on each side. I just notched the vent to clear the coolant tank and bolted the vents to the console (they normal clip to the air box).
6) the left side panel will fit with no problems.
7) the right side panel needs the battery relocated and the fuse block turned sideways. The pull start hole lines even lines right up with the reverse lever!
8) I used a MBRP exhaust silencer at first, but then i modded it to make it quieter and still fit the XP plastics. I am also running a header.
I think that pretty much sums it up.

·
boost junkie
10,690 Posts
I don't get it

all that effort just to look like a xp

and your still on a shorty

I understand some my need a narrow front end but you don't need new plastic for that

·
Registered
650 Posts
I get it Chris. A sled with the looks and feel of the narrower XP with all the goodness of the XR. It probably has folks scratchin their heads when they see it and then hear it run. It's a nice, customized sled that stands out of a crowd.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
I don't get it either Chris. But that is some of the fun of owning a snowmobile. Some like to tinker as much as they like to ride. How much does this cost to make this plastic swap? It has to be fairly expensive unless you are buying used pieces. I like all the custom sleds out there and really like looking at all of the mods. A big thumbs up to all of the creative owners. Dave thanks for sharing all the pics of the sleds you have modded out at Powderlites.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I did it to mine and like it. I'll be close to even ($200??) after selling my old plastic. I modify pretty much everything I own so why not?? When it comes time to sell it I bet it'll sell before a stocker. It is so easy to do I'm really surprised BRP went thru the trouble of designing and molding xr plastic. They could have stuck an 800r muffler in there and made it work and it would even be quiet. Mines all black with gloss black side panels and stock skidoo x decals.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Somebody pm'd me the price for the XP panels required not including any attachment bolts or rivets. $1189.00 WOW!!!!!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Somebody pm'd me the price for the XP panels required not including any attachment bolts or rivets. $1189.00 WOW!!!!!
That must be in Canada! USA Retail $800+ I paid a little more than $600 for new hood, cap, side panels, console, gauge support, belly pan, bottom pans , bumper, airbox. If you want to add foam and decals it's more but nowhere near $1189. I did notice the prices on some of the pieces have went up since last spring.
I relocated the overflow tank to the same location as it is on the xp sleds-above the exhaust. I used 2 pieces of hose and put an inline valve in the hose that warms the throttle body so I can shut it off.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
The prices on the list were from US for a 2011 but I did notice it included $130 for foam. There were no decals in the prices.

The 2011 air intake cost almost $60 more and the console is $45 more than the 2010. There are a bunch of grills on the 2011 that cost more also. There was also an $80 windshield in the pricing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts