Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a hell of a machine...in my opinion. After owning so many sleds over the years...I can say that the Ski-Doo 800R might just be the best sled that REASONABLE money can buy. I have never been so damned excited in AUGUST to get back on a sled!!!!

I'm not saying it is the absolute best sled out there (I'm not trying to start a bash fest). I think the ETEC is probably a better sled (I have a 175 Evinrude ETEC on my boat...sooooo nice). And maybe (God forbid I say this on dootalk) some other manufactuerers have some nice models as well. But if you want to beat the snot out of just about anything you come up against....be comfortable as hell all day long....have more power than you know what to do with...how can you beat the XP 800R???

This is kind of a useless post, but my mind has transitioned a bit early this year to sledding and I find myself on these boards in August! I was thinking why....and its because my 800R provided me with the best year of sledding I've ever had last winter! I'm jazzed!!! Let it snow!

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
Yup, it's quite the sled with an unheard of power to weight ratio when it comes to stock consumer / non-race sleds. Granted they kind of hit a wall around 100mph but who cares they're an absolute blast up to that point. Supposedly the E-Tec version of the 800R with the new dual air intake found some longer legs on top but I've also heard it's smoother and "deceptively fast". When I read that I read smooth / electric like power and no "hit" or kick in the pants. I don't know about everybody else but I'd rather feel the power than have a few more digits on top. Last year I was on some good hardpacked snow and I slowed down to a nice cruising speed of 40mph and then nailed it, she hooked and yanked the skiis in the air and held them there till I let off at over 80mph. It's a pretty amazing sled and the rider position and handling is also a nice step up versus the original Rev. My only complaints are the throttle is a little on stiff side and the sutter / small bump compliance could be a little better / plusher. I installed the updated rear arm kit and it did help in that regard / made a noticeable difference. The XPs are a little colder of a ride and harder to wrench on versus the Rev though. And mine seeps a little coolant like most other ones and it's harder on belts than my Rev but I guess there's always trade offs. But overall I like it, just in hindsight I whish I would've went for the Gade but there's always next time. At the time I bought it I was used to riding almost all hardpacked wooded trails. Now most of my miles are ditchline in a relatively flat area and when the wind kicks up those ditches can really fill in and get deep!!! Plus, the longer track would ride better on the bumps to. Speaking of sled sites, I'm on them year round!!! LOL...

·
Banned
943 Posts
I'll let you know come the first weekend in December. As far as ergonomics and fit and finish my frame fits much better than on a Cat.

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
I'll let you know come the first weekend in December. As far as ergonomics and fit and finish my frame fits much better than on a Cat.
I don't doubt that one... I like the F-Series sleds (comfort city) but they're in what, their 5th year of full production and the darn hoods still don't fit right...LOL...

·
Registered
245 Posts
The Etec 800 is smooth but electric feeling, I don't think so. It's just that you have response over a wider range. It's the most fun I've had since my old CR 500 Honda.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yup, it's quite the sled with an unheard of power to weight ratio when it comes to stock consumer / non-race sleds. Granted they kind of hit a wall around 100mph but who cares they're an absolute blast up to that point. Supposedly the E-Tec version of the 800R with the new dual air intake found some longer legs on top but I've also heard it's smoother and "deceptively fast". When I read that I read smooth / electric like power and no "hit" or kick in the pants. I don't know about everybody else but I'd rather feel the power than have a few more digits on top. Last year I was on some good hardpacked snow and I slowed down to a nice cruising speed of 40mph and then nailed it, she hooked and yanked the skiis in the air and held them there till I let off at over 80mph. It's a pretty amazing sled and the rider position and handling is also a nice step up versus the original Rev. My only complaints are the throttle is a little on stiff side and the sutter / small bump compliance could be a little better / plusher. I installed the updated rear arm kit and it did help in that regard / made a noticeable difference. The XPs are a little colder of a ride and harder to wrench on versus the Rev though. And mine seeps a little coolant like most other ones and it's harder on belts than my Rev but I guess there's always trade offs. But overall I like it, just in hindsight I whish I would've went for the Gade but there's always next time. At the time I bought it I was used to riding almost all hardpacked wooded trails. Now most of my miles are ditchline in a relatively flat area and when the wind kicks up those ditches can really fill in and get deep!!! Plus, the longer track would ride better on the bumps to. Speaking of sled sites, I'm on them year round!!! LOL...
You may want to try a gade first before you buy. I demoed an 800 etec backcountry and found the longer track to be a buck board in the woops and it pushed in the corners more then the shortie. Now it does have it's purpose when your in the deeper stuff

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
You may want to try a gade first before you buy. I demoed an 800 etec backcountry and found the longer track to be a buck board in the woops and it pushed in the corners more then the shortie. Now it does have it's purpose when your in the deeper stuff
I was talking more like little stutter bumps and not large whoops and the Backcountry isn't exactly your run of the mill Gade either, it's got a 1.75" track versus 1.25" plus some other things to, can't think of everything off the top of my head. But yeah, you're probably right, best to demo something before you buy one. So far the only Doo's I've ever been able to demo were the original early release "08" XP 800R and then the early release "09" 600 E-Tec. Those are the only two models that I know of that were shipped around to dealers to use as demos. My only 136" experience came last year on a 1996 A/C Pantera. I picked it up for 100 bucks (not running) and with the help of my father in law got it going and sold it for a grand. It's an older sit down chassis with only 8" or so of travel but I could still feel the added ride quality from the extended track. That little experience sold me on the idea of making my next sled a Gade. That and occasionally riding ditchline that's so deep it's all I can do to avoid getting stuck sometimes.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Wait till you put your A-- on the seat and ride it for a couple of hundred miles. any regreats will disappear.

Note: on the issue of hitting the brick wall at 100mph. I've had it happen to me twice. But more times have i hit speedo 110mph+. So i want to blame temp & snow conditions on that issue. But who Knows?

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
simple physics here, I've had considerable seat time on gades and shorties, both are awesome, but the gade is better on rough stuff and soft stuff, shortie is better in the corners and hard pack, the rest is compromising and choosing what you want most. sorry to the op for the jack, but your right the 800r is good value, IMHO doo is always close to nailing it out of the box.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
What a hell of a machine...in my opinion. After owning so many sleds over the years...I can say that the Ski-Doo 800R might just be the best sled that REASONABLE money can buy. I have never been so damned excited in AUGUST to get back on a sled!!!!

I'm not saying it is the absolute best sled out there (I'm not trying to start a bash fest). I think the ETEC is probably a better sled (I have a 175 Evinrude ETEC on my boat...sooooo nice). And maybe (God forbid I say this on dootalk) some other manufactuerers have some nice models as well. But if you want to beat the snot out of just about anything you come up against....be comfortable as hell all day long....have more power than you know what to do with...how can you beat the XP 800R???

This is kind of a useless post, but my mind has transitioned a bit early this year to sledding and I find myself on these boards in August! I was thinking why....and its because my 800R provided me with the best year of sledding I've ever had last winter! I'm jazzed!!! Let it snow!
i agree 100% the 800r has great power the frame of the rev-xp is awesome i just love the hell out of my bc x for me it's the perfect sled the only thing that could make it better is putting the 800 e tec in it one will be had in my near future

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
simple physics here, I've had considerable seat time on gades and shorties, both are awesome, but the gade is better on rough stuff and soft stuff, shortie is better in the corners and hard pack, the rest is compromising and choosing what you want most. sorry to the op for the jack, but your right the 800r is good value, IMHO doo is always close to nailing it out of the box.
Which do you like better and why??? I only owned shorties but am really thinking of making my next sled a Gade. When you say the shorties are better on hardpack do you just mean top speed? When you say the shorties are better in the corners do you just mean they're more responsive or is there a big difference in steering effort or front end push???

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wait till you put your A-- on the seat and ride it for a couple of hundred miles. any regreats will disappear.

Note: on the issue of hitting the brick wall at 100mph. I've had it happen to me twice. But more times have i hit speedo 110mph+. So i want to blame temp & snow conditions on that issue. But who Knows?
I have absolutely no wall on my 800R. I've hit 117 on the speedo and can push it over 100 (speedo) on just about any trail condition. Probably won't be able to this year...putting on a 1.75" track and gearing down 2. But I really don't like top end, top speed stuff. I'll give that up for the snap and hook up in the deep.

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
I have absolutely no wall on my 800R. I've hit 117 on the speedo and can push it over 100 (speedo) on just about any trail condition. Probably won't be able to this year...putting on a 1.75" track and gearing down 2. But I really don't like top end, top speed stuff. I'll give that up for the snap and hook up in the deep.
Key word there is "speedo"...

I've hit 118-119 on my speedo but my GPS said 106...

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Which do you like better and why??? I only owned shorties but am really thinking of making my next sled a Gade. When you say the shorties are better on hardpack do you just mean top speed? When you say the shorties are better in the corners do you just mean they're more responsive or is there a big difference in steering effort or front end push???
I prefer the 120 cuz I mostly ride trails and I love to corner, not that the gade can't run on hardpack but I notice the hyfax bite(melting)a little sooner at higher speeds, top end is only a little lower(5 mph), and cornering also the gade handles(corners)just fine but I can easily feel the extra mass I'm trying to turn, (slightly more push). but off trail it's gade all the way. other opinions may vary. good luck.

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
not that the gade can't run on hardpack but I notice the hyfax bite(melting)a little sooner at higher speeds, top end is only a little lower(5 mph), and cornering also the gade handles(corners)just fine but I can easily feel the extra mass I'm trying to turn, (slightly more push). but off trail it's gade all the way. other opinions may vary. good luck.
You never said which one you like better...

·
Banned
0 Posts
Several members have had this happen. I didn't believe it either until it happened to me. Again only twice. Most runs go over 110 (speedo). But when it happens the sled pulls like a freight train then just stops. Kinda Wierd!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Key word there is "speedo"...

I've hit 118-119 on my speedo but my GPS said 106...
I hear you...I was wondering if people meant hitting a wall at 100 on the speedo or GPS. I always knew the speedo was way off...do most run 12 mph slower than the speedo when measured on GPS?

·
Registered
132 Posts

1 - 20 of 23 Posts