Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having troubles with a 2013 summit, i have narrowed it down to the pipe temp (not the can) sensor. All codes cleared, will derate engine and cut power as soon as you load engine in deep snow. All other options are tested and proved out. Now i have heard the 2013 was a lot more sensetive to the ex temp, short of swapping in a 2014 pcm im at a loss. Has anyone removed or ran a spacer like they sell for the can probe to desensetize this circuit, without causing other issues, like melted pistons? The mxz runs only the can temp sensor, but is the mapping different enough on the summit that one cannot be removed?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Temp sensor. Hmmm it should throw a code!

Mine broke and i got a check enginelight. Ski ran great tho.

A friend had a similar problem on an 800 e-tev. He changed sparkplugs and that fixed it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will store a code, ex temp high. It is always too high, hence the need to make a change of some kind.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had a code for exhaust temp sensor, turned out my stator was coming apart. I also was getting a code for the air pressure sensor. It ran fine at WOT, but would fall on its face under light load between 6-7000 rpm. Dealer said stator had a wire partially cut, causing the intermittent issue. Thankfully it was still under warranty. Anyway, just wanted to point out that throwing parts at a problem is never a good idea. So I'll ask, what have you done to diagnose this problem as being the sensor itself?

·
Sponsors
3,964 Posts
I had bad temp sensor last March and my sled would fall on its face, so I took it to the dealer and they found multiple temp sensor errors when the hooked it up to Buds and I was amazed at all the info that was in there.

He knew exactly the times I had a temp sensor errors (last error code was about 10 min before shut down when returning to parking lot) on last ride and previous rides it logged how what codes, how many times I started and stopped the sled and time in between.

They replaced both sensors and the module & it fixed the problem. I was happy it was still under warranty.

Reactions: Daag44

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has been in, same info as yours, can see all the same type of data logs. Where I have the problem, is on the buds software, all systems were tested and pass. Rave pos, throttle pos, pump pressure, regulator, pickup screen, filter. Airbox sensor.... All checks out proper. Egt sensors read proper on software, compression good, plugs are new, yes i indexed them. Clutching, went as far as taking primary and secondary off a good running sled, all same specs, his still works good this one fails. I am out of ideas to try, so is the dealer. The only consistent error is that high egt data keeps showing. Took can sensor right out and ran it, no change. Used bikeman probe spacer, no change. If probe is right out of can, yet high egt shows, and sensors both pass testing, only option left is temp sendor in expansion chamber. Which is the same theory i had come up with, without buds software. I either need to lower pipe temp????? How??? Or fool the information that the ecu is seeing. Hence the question, will the sled still have enough proper info to run and not melt down. Mxz has no sensor....
Is the system running on a predetermined map with safety overrides? Or is it live programming determining fuel delivery based on temp inputs?
Idahodoo, what were your symptoms/conditions leading up to sled falling on its face? Random? Or consistent symptoms? Maybe new temp sensors have different parameters? Or is the dealer not able to test signal accuracy? I havent ruled out sensors being off, i just am at the limits of throwing parts at it. Dealer suggested trying a different ecu, but cost is on me, and it was just a guess. He admits that testing it and sensors, there are no failures.

·
Premium Member
27,924 Posts
Use premium gauge to monitor the tuned pipe temperature and compare with the muffler temps. Compare these readings with another Summit owner. Shouldn't be hard seeing this is the mountain section.......

We read the tuned pipe temp on the 600RS via the premium gauge to keep things from...............overheating.................We can simply rejet if necessary so it is easy for us. But if backed against a wall where no one can help, take matters into your own hands :wink_old:

·
Premium Member
27,924 Posts
First test the tuned pipe temperature sensor to make sure it is reading the correct temps.

·
hater on all xrs and freeride owners that drive li
2,307 Posts
i just swapped pipe sensors and the module for a buddy. his was sputtering and falling on it's face and had check muffler scrolling across the dash almost constantly. mind you it was the muffler sensor that rattled out and must have got bumped.

sorry daag unless you send the cluster out to get flashed only the 600rs reads pipe temps.

and how to lower pipe temp mix in some race gas as it burns cooler and slower, or buy a fuel mod from hrss and that supplys more fuel which allows the machine to run richer.

or spend the 360 bucks and order the pipe sensor. pn 515177446

·
Sponsors
3,964 Posts
Idahodoo, what were your symptoms/conditions leading up to sled falling on its face? Random? Or consistent symptoms? Maybe new temp sensors have different parameters? Or is the dealer not able to test signal accuracy? I havent ruled out sensors being off, i just am at the limits of throwing parts at it. Dealer suggested trying a different ecu, but cost is on me, and it was just a guess. He admits that testing it and sensors, there are no failures.
It would happen at random times when I mashed the throttle, (it would boop and felt tike I hit the kill switch momentarily) it first showed up when running my light weight hood & Intake that I built, also was running the Thing cooker can, never seen anything on the gauge because it was always covered with snow + the error code never stayed on the gauge.

So I changed everything back to stock 1 thing at a time trying to troubleshoot the issue it continued to do even when everything back to stock, So that when I took it to the dealer they found the issue and ordered the parts, I rode it the next week end after they reset the codes and it started to do it more frequently.

The parts came in I took it down and they changed the both sensors & controller haven't had the problem since.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all!!
Idahodoo, this sounds very familiar, dealer tests cannot fail the sensors, but I think its worth a shot. It is the only component that keeps coming up into question, and dealer cannot replicate riding loads

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know what the actual code is that everyone is getting? I have a P1428 code, and I think it is either the can or pipe sensor. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here's a thought I would try to rule out the EGT sensor.

Get a resistor in the 220 to 320 ohm range and bypass the sensor like many do instead of replacing a faulty sensor. Not saying this is a good long-term solution but definitely worth trying to rule it out. If with the EGT bypassed all is good then you either have flaky sensor that goes wonky with heat or vibration or you actually have a heat problem.

Here's the EGT sensor table.

Capture.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here's a thought I would try to rule out the EGT sensor.

Get a resistor in the 220 to 320 ohm range and bypass the sensor like many do instead of replacing a faulty sensor. Not saying this is a good long-term solution but definitely worth trying to rule it out. If with the EGT bypassed all is good then you either have flaky sensor that goes wonky with heat or vibration or you actually have a heat problem.

Here's the EGT sensor table.

Keywords!! Like many do to bypass!!!!
Thank you this is exactly what Ive been trying to find out, have others bypassed this circuit!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes many do it. My nephew bypassed is EGT for months before he finally purchased a new sensor. Didn't appear to cause any problems. Curious to see if others have had similar success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could not fault the sensors ever, tested good in every way. Put new sensors in, ( different shape/ number) sled runs like a champ!!

·
Sponsors
3,964 Posts
Sweet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts