Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
doodad said:
I AM LOOKING AT GETTING A NAW HELMET AND I REALY LIKE THE X TEAM MODULAR WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK

[snapback]286691[/snapback]​
You'll have a hard time making up your mind based on the comments here. You'll get everything from greatest helmet ever made to biggest POS ever made. I used to have an original style mod when I wore glasses. It never fogged (did not have heated shield) and was the most convenient helmet made if you wear glasses. Helmet was warm and quiet but not the best visibility. The weight and safety was an issue for me. My neck and between my shoulders were sore after every ride and had a very minor crash that snapped the jaw piece like it was a twig. I guess the BV2S is lighter and has better visibility but has it's own issues. I personally would have a hard time dropping the coin they want for one of those.

I rarely ride in temps below 10 Deg F, spend most of my time off trail, and no longer wear glasses (Lasik). I now wear mx style and goggles. I'll never wear anything else. Way lighter and considered safer. I can make it as warm as I want it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have one of the first runs of the modular and it has +'s and -'s. I have had frost bite in several places on my face. The main thing I didn't like was the filters and even though it is my spit you have to keep changing the filter during your ride unless you want to swim in it. They are fairly easy to use though. Mine doesn't seem that heavy. Doesn't fog up either. I use a MX style with goggles also now unless it is really cold out, then I stay home and drink!!

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
akmike75 said:
I have one of the first runs of the modular and it has +'s and -'s. I have had frost bite in several places on my face. The main thing I didn't like was the filters and even though it is my spit you have to keep changing the filter during your ride unless you want to swim in it. They are fairly easy to use though. Mine doesn't seem that heavy. Doesn't fog up either. I use a MX style with goggles also now unless it is really cold out, then I stay home and drink!!
[snapback]286744[/snapback]​
I had an X-team last year, got tired of fiddling with it. Replaced this year with an HJC-14 alternating sometimes with a new Zeus Liftech Modular, they all have + and - about them, best thing I think you can do is borrow one for a ride and see what you like and don't like.
Our dealer has a few demo helmets that I've tried before deciding..

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have one and love it , I think it is the best helmet I have ever had never once fogged not even a hint of fogging, I have the x model sled with low windsheild so when it gets really cold out or alot of fast driving you have to wear the extra inner face cover that is supplied with the helmet and I think it is neopreme or something and I always wore a balaclauva and I never really had a problem there were times a little chilly but only at really cold temps and fast driving across lakes or loging roads but it was never cold enough for me to buy the bigger windsheild, but I always thought it was more my chin that got cool nothing was ever getting through the helmet just what could get between where my jacket stopped and the helmet started, and for the drowning in spit I never once had a problem and never changed any filters either actually didn't even knew they had any, I guess never really thought about it just put it on and drove my sled

·
Registered
40 Posts
doodad said:
I AM LOOKING AT GETTING A NAW HELMET AND I REALY LIKE THE X TEAM MODULAR WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK

I love mine. The thing I like the best is that it never fogs up. The mask shoots the breath directly out the side. There is a slight problem with the wind comming thru. I did get slight frostbite a year ago when it was about -10 or -15. Riding in mostly Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan it rarely gets that cold. Riding in 0 it is fine. Plus I love being able to completely lift up the front of the helmet. Over all I give it an 8 out of 10.

Matt

·
Registered
546 Posts
doodad said:

i went to the toronto sled show and tried 5 different brands including the doo. the best fitting and lightest approved helmet i found was the G-MAX 14X modular. the front lid flips up high enough that it's straight up and not leaning forward to add weight on your neck. the electric shield was $100 verses some at over $250 and i got the helmet elec. shield and got to keep the double visor for $280. no taxes. the side foam pieces are replaceable with thinner ones for fatter faces or if you wear a balaclava etc....nice paint schemes too. check it out!! www.royaldistributing.com. excellent wind proof positive seal around the shield too, NO WIND!!! verry comfortable. best helmet i've ever owned and i have 5 full faces around the house...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I love my modular. It does not fog , its not tempramental, and I can always count on it. It has some quirks, it can be a little cold- in which case I use the supplied deflector, but it never lets me down. I carry a package of absorbant masks with me and depending on the riding conditions, is how often I change them. I dont like the idea of having the cord and I see it all the time where riders forget and walk away and get yanked backwards after the cord pulls tight. I know I would end up forgetting about it and Id be the one buying a new sheild every time I ripped it off! Thats my opinion!

·
Registered
5 Posts
doodad said:

I have used mine for several hundred miles and love it. The only thing I changed was to make my own pad for the breathing mask. Pick up a car drying pad from Wal-Mart, use your stock pad as a template, and cut out a couple of them. Easy to put in when they are dry, they don't fall apart like the stock one and they're cheap. I alway's keep a spare in the pocket of my jacket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have glasses, their a great helmet. They don't fog, comfortable, and warm.
YA, They doo have their bad points. But, all and all if your glass fog all the time it's going to be a long day.
thanks for the tip aarontheagent, Im going to try it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
LOVE MY MODULAR X-TEAM 2003.
Never been frost bit, it takes a little longer to get it properly set on your face, with the breath mask and teh extra cover that covers the neck. I use a neck warmer that i pull up over my jawline and into the helmet a little to stop a cold draft if one occurs. from there if the breath mask is not snug to your face then it will fog on the inside of the sheild. Also if it isnt snug you will get one hell of a draft and snow dust from a snowmobile in front of you(if one gets in the front
)

LAST you cant forget the Sun sheild, WOW what an idea, that erases any cold riding and be able to see when others are riding with their hands up blocking the sun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.