Yes, definitely!!!1918.45%
Get more info on the Jeep, but yeah, sounds like a good deal!1918.45%
I would think twice.98.74%
Heck no!!!5654.37%

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 1980 CJ7 Jeep and has 113,000 miles and a 4.2L 6 cyl. Don't know much else about it yet but am really thinking about trading my sled for it! What doo you think??

·
Map of the Problematique
5,109 Posts
Would you trade a 03.5 Ski Doo Blair Morgan 800X with some mods and 4,000 miles for this?.....
Yes.

...but only because I don't have the money to snowmobile. That thing looks like a lot of three-season fun!

You've got to wonder why he's willing to trade for a sled with 4k+ miles...maybe something wrong with it so be careful.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes.

...but only because I don't have the money to snowmobile. That thing looks like a lot of three-season fun!

You've got to wonder why he's willing to trade for a sled with 4k+ miles...maybe something wrong with it so be careful.
Oh yeah, I know. I haven't went and looked at it yet. And that is the same ball park I am in, not really enough money to ride. Getting too expensive. I got a few buddies who know a thing or two about Jeeps. We'll have to go take a look at it this weekend.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried offroading, atving, motocross, sea doos, street bikes...etc and none seem to be as fun as riding a sled.

Don't do it!!!
Well I know it won't be as fun as sledding but at least it's something I can do 10 months out of the year and can take the family along as well. And I'll still probably get a cheap sled for next season.

·
Map of the Problematique
5,109 Posts
Hey, look! I found the jeep:

http://www.jeep-classifieds.com/34964_jeep-ad.html

Your REV is worth no more than $3500, and these late 70s to mid 80s jeeps (in good, clean condition) seem to be fetching $4000-$5500.

Have one of your jeep-inclined buddies go through it. I'd trade for sure if I had a family I needed to include in activities.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
I dont think i would. I am not really a jeep guy at all. now if it was a 90s model silverado with a 9" lift and some nice tires on it, it could be a different story. most guys want too much for a truck though to trade a sled. if you like jeeps though, this is a good deal as stated above. steve

·
Been there, wrecked that
1,167 Posts
Only if you put a winch on the jeep.
Have'nt needed one for my sled, YET.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Well I know it won't be as fun as sledding but at least it's something I can do 10 months out of the year and can take the family along as well. And I'll still probably get a cheap sled for next season.
If your planning on getting another sled to ride and there's nothing major wrong with the Jeep do it, 113k is a lot of miles though. I had one when I was younger and it was a blast.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Can't believe I was the only one that said "YES" in the pole, because there is a lot you can doo with that jeep. You can alway get another sled, maybe not the one you have now, but sleds get better and better and yours will get more and more affordable.

In my area, I'd say "NO". We practically have year round sledding. No way I'd give up my sled at this stage of my life. If your a young man and it will enhance your family life. Doo it, what's the worst thing that could happen.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, look! I found the jeep:

http://www.jeep-classifieds.com/34964_jeep-ad.html

Your REV is worth no more than $3500, and these late 70s to mid 80s jeeps (in good, clean condition) seem to be fetching $4000-$5500.

Have one of your jeep-inclined buddies go through it. I'd trade for sure if I had a family I needed to include in activities.
Thanks for the link! Didn't realize he was asking that much for it! Gonna definitely go check it out. If it runs good and everything still works on it, why not! We'll see.

·
First In, Last Out
2,985 Posts
I'm one who would say no, but that's because I love sledding, even if it's limited. I had the truck vs. sled debate before buying my sled, and the sled came on top. However, if having a jeep works better for you, then go with the jeep.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Such a tough decision! If it had a top and doors I'd be all over it! I just need to look at it. That's all there is to it!

·
Registered
225 Posts
If trading for the jeep means you will no longer sled possibly ever, than I wouldn't. At the end of the day the jeep is just another pain in the neck vehicle that requires maintenance. I miss my jeep (owned three of them .. 77, 87, 97) and would like to get another. The body rusts easy, they squeek a lot, the engine is great, but there is always something with those old ones. "its a jeep thing" so you gotta love em. I just won't give up my sled unless I had a back up sled I liked better.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally talked to the guy on the phone. The rear main leaks, the power steering leaks, the transfer case is "wet" (whatever that means??), the motor smokes "a little", the rear shackles have been "braced", and the rear right side of the tub has rust holes. Um, no thanks! And he wants $5,000 for that, especially with no top or doors? Good luck with that! Knew it was too good to be true!

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Finally talked to the guy on the phone. The rear main leaks, the power steering leaks, the transfer case is "wet" (whatever that means??), the motor smokes "a little", the rear shackles have been "braced", and the rear right side of the tub has rust holes. Um, no thanks! And he wants $5,000 for that, especially with no top or doors? Good luck with that! Knew it was too good to be true!
Don't worry. He'll likely get it.

We sold my bros 4cly man. jeep for 3400.00 with no top, cracked shield, rusty doors, etc....He had even rolled it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts