Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am headed out on a trip to Island Pond, VT on Wednesday of this week.

I hope to put on around 500-600 miles

The HIFAXES look pretty skinny at 350 miles in that area around the idler wheels.

How far should I let them go?

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
If they are skinny on the outside they are even thinner on the inside, they wear on angle due to the inside iler position I think. Mine were just above the wear line on the outside of the rail and see thru on the inside. They were fine at 350 miles and gone at 420, they seemed to dissappear in 70 miles.

BRP will not warranty chewed rails.

Put in an F chassis S7 set

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have spent a lot of time measuring mine with a mic and continuing to check them against a new set on wear. I have 0ver 1,850 miles on this set and they were wore to the wear indicators within 500 miles or less in perfect snow conditions. It probably was a lot less than 500 miles I just never checked tilll I got home from my first trip. I have found that at the wear morks you still have 170 thousands of material before they are into the aluminum and here in lies the how far do you want to go. I have driven the sled in terrible conditions and excellent conditions since they wore to the wear indicators and haven't burned off much more material off the slides. I now have 130 thousands of material left and I check in a number of places not just by the wheels because I have found they wear bad towards the end of the skid also. If you know you are going to be in fairly good conditions I wouldn't worry but its not my sled. Keep in mind if you put the new set on they will wear really fast to the wear marks again and you could be only half way into your trip, then what. Oh yea I did move my wheels so they were all closer together and not offset like it came, don't know if that made much difference or not and I run my track really loose actually hanging a little. Good luck and enjoy yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts