Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed 1.375 woody's gold digger studs, with lock washers and big nuts.

Woody's does not reccomend the use of locktite. After 180 miles have lost a large

number of studs. Are their any suggestions other than installing the standard size

nut?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I put a dab of red on mine and torqued them down, I've not lost one in over a thousand miles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would use loctite on the woody's nuts. Riders' Choice makes the tall Stainless Steel Nyloc nuts. You can get these from Shadetree (I am sure other places as well).

·
Registered
315 Posts
skater-1 said:
I installed 1.375 woody's gold digger studs, with lock washers and big nuts.

Woody's does not reccomend the use of locktite. After 180 miles have lost a large

number of studs. Are their any suggestions other than installing the standard size

nut?
[snapback]716594[/snapback]​
You should be using the nuts with the nylon inserts to lock the nut on the stud. Are you using metal or plastic backers? I have not had very good luck using plastic. I always use stainless backer plates. Also proper torque to set thestud in the track is essential. I have studded dozens of tracks and have never had a problem with the Nylock type of nuts.
.02$
bt3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I used the woodys tall nuts on 96 Megabites and the small washer they come with and have not had any problem with any loose ones at all. They dont reccomend you use and loctite.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've got Big Nuts with several hundred miles on them. Installed them with the serraded wachers they came with, torqued to specs and havn't lost any. Perhaps not enough miles on them yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am useing Aluminum Stud Boy Backers, Serraded washers and torqued

the Big Nuts. The nuts have no nylon lock device. I will install the standard

nut with lock devise and use red locktite.

In 2003 I installed Woodys 1.375s on a 125 track Polaris and in 400 miles

40% of the studs were bent excessively. Woodys exchanged the studs under

Goodwill. This is the reason I went for the Big Nuts this time.

Hope I dont have the same problem on the Ski-doo with the small nuts.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I have BOTH woodys big nuts, and stud boy nuts on mine........I think it is the wodys that are tapered more, and have the washer, the stud boys are not tapered, and have no washer.

I have lost NO STUDS, i used NO lock-tite, but i tighten my nuts with an mpact gun, and go tilll they stop turning, and start stretching (that in it self locks them on)

For what it is worth, I like the woody's MUCH better, for the pure fact that they are SIZED better, and don't stick in the socket after impacting them on...........the stud boys stick EVERY DANG TIME!

I check my studs after every ride............I have mixed bag of brands in there, woodys, red tip, and extreme max........

The woody's are the WURST........extreme max and red tip seem to hold out longer and better..........none have bent, but the woodys seem to loose the carbide tip more often than the cheapo's do....

I also found out this weekend, that i KNOW the guy who sells the red tail / red tip studs........He claims he has his studs tested by a metalurgist, and compared to the other brands, and the cheapo red tip's actually test out better fore carbide retention, and bending........?????

i don't know??? I only buy studs if they are a buck a peice or under, so either i get a deal on woody's or i buy the cheapo's........i have been happy for 5 years runnign now......

To sum it up, I prefer the woody's nuts, and the cheapo studs.....

I have not tried any of the cheapo nuts yet......

I have always used woodys double backers........and I will say the NEW ones, (they are shiny, instead of a dull aluminum) are much stronger........only the older ones, that were dull aluminum bend........I think woody's must have changed the alloy they use in the backers.........for the better.....

·
Dootalk = college student's study time
4,213 Posts
I have woodys, with the nyl. washer, and I have not lost one neither has anyone in my family. We just use a impact gun, and crank them down on there until it slightly sucks in the back. They hold good and straight. No loctite.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
144 DTM (1.375) with original nyloc nuts, I've never lost any
I ride real hard but I'm always careful crossing roads

1 - 13 of 13 Posts