Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Tried the single non carbide on the outside and the 4" carbide on the inside and it darted terrible.No damaged to front end parts and toe set at 3/16" out total.Then i tried a set of dually's i had here and the darting almost all went away .I have been experimenting with center shock tension and ski tension and have it about as good as I can get the sled setup however i still get push in the turns that are tight.

If i can explain it properly you turn the bars to make the turn and the ski's seem to push and you continue to turn slightly, then your turn the bars more to get around the turn and then the ski's will bite and you then have to straighten out the bars to keep the inside ski down .In other words I seem to be correcting more than i should be to turn and i am not going very fast.My wife is right behind me on another brand sled short track studded and she never pushes .

I have the 137" track with 96 studs in the middle.The trails were grommed and hard.If it's icy you just push too much and have to ride where you can get some snow to bite.

I have a question ....Has anyone tried the regular duallys and found that by switching to the slim jims that they still provide very good darting control but less push in the turns.I would like to try them before going to my snow trackers for a couple reasons.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I switched from the 6" doolies to the 6" slim Jims last weekend, no darting, heavier feeling steering, turns better than it ever has, only about 300 miles with them but so far I am happy with them, I almost go into corners to fast knowing that it will turn, keep in mind that my 6" doolies were pretty shot but even brand new they did not turn like the slim jims, I bought the slims online for $112 American.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
You might be expecting perfection.

It is great that you want it to be the best. And I think that you are on that track. However, I would have a hard time believing that there is a sled out there that does not dart under some condition.

I have found that when I am tired the sled darts more.

I hope that you are not working on the darting problem when you could be riding.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was thinking of getting some from bergstromskegs after the end of the season. What is your suspension setup like? Specifically what are your front shocks set at for preload. If you soften the preload does it get better?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It darts so badly with single runner i could not take the pain in my shoulder blades after 60 miles.Dually's it almost all but stopped and i can live with that.

I am not sacrificing ride time for test time....

I have been all over the suspension setups and the best so far is stops at 2 center shock 2 front shocks at 1.5 , torsion on 3.I weigh about 250 ready to ride .

I played with the ski shock preload on other days and if i add too much preload it darts more and steers harder and too much feedback through the bars.If i soften the ski shocks up too much then it pushes more and less bar feedback= lesh harsh.

I would like it to rail like my wife's old 2003 polaris .She actually has to slow for me to make the turns....lol...

I understand everything is a tradeoff and maybe I am too fussy but I have not found the happy medium yet and evryone i have talked to personally on the trail or sled stop says that the ski doo's are known for dating..My 1200 was also terrible I though it was the heavy front end .

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a 2014 GSX 1200 SE and with the stock carbides it darted alot.

After adding Woodys Doolys I think I can honestly say it has not darted once since.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think the best runners depend on the sled and the conditions you ride in.

I would call Woodys and have them make the recommendation as everyone has different machines, riding styles, preferences and trail/off trail conditions.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Doolys push bad in the corners but steer easy. Slim Jims steer harder, but push less than doolys until you start amping it up, they then push in the corners. Neither dart too bad at all. Both wear out quickly. I found it best to shim them to completely get rid of the darting, but with shims they both steer a little harder.

Someone mentioned the Bergstroms, I have a 8" pair of those with ski-savers and shims, one ride and found they steer hard, push in the corners and still dart, I got one run (DAY) on them and broke out the carbide on them, he would not warranty them, but sent them back to me with a nice coat of gold paint and a new set of ski-savers! Worst money ever spent on a set of Carbides and huge disappointment. Way overrated!

Aggressive Snowtrackers steer easy, don't dart, and do not push. Also no need to shim and should never be shimmed. Last an extremely long time. I have over 8500 miles on my originals and have only replaced the correctors once a few thousand ago. By far the best Carbides on the market IMO. They will easily go for well over 10,000 miles for me and make riding fun! Can tune the suspension as a suspension and not for steering.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Aggressive snow trackers for me. I just went on a 375km ride and could not be happier and my shoulders surely are happy. I loosened my front skid shock two notches from full tight and no push in the corners. I will never own a sled that doesn't have trackers on it from now on. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aggressive snow trackers for me. I just went on a 375km ride and could not be happier and my shoulders surely are happy. I loosened my front skid shock two notches from full tight and no push in the corners. I will never own a sled that doesn't have trackers on it from now on. Worth every penny.
I has the Snow trackers on my 1200 last spring for a few hundred miles and one thing i found annoying and that is why i just do not try them on my 900 is this.......When you drive down the side of a plowed road or cross a road in the spring,they pick up rocks like crazy and the rocks have to be pryed out of the trackers .This happened several times when I tried them out on my 1200 but in the defense of the trackers the trails were soft and the ground was thawing out.

We lost our snow this week and looks like we will not be sledding anytime soon.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just put a set of slim jims on my wifes ace 600. The wear bars were worn pretty good, and the sled was darting real bad. I put a 4 inch set of SlimJims on it and WOW!! what a difference, dart completly gone. It stears a bit stiffer but well worth it for how positive it steers and NO darting.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I has the Snow trackers on my 1200 last spring for a few hundred miles and one thing i found annoying and that is why i just do not try them on my 900 is this.......When you drive down the side of a plowed road or cross a road in the spring,they pick up rocks like crazy and the rocks have to be pryed out of the trackers .This happened several times when I tried them out on my 1200 but in the defense of the trackers the trails were soft and the ground was thawing out.

We lost our snow this week and looks like we will not be sledding anytime soon.
I guess every area is different, i just was on a 375 km ride ( one day) and had a run of 12 km on a gravel road. No rocks stuck in mine, but like they say, size is everything??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts