Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Skandic SWT V-800 got it last March. Ever since April have been getting the engine light, oil light and battery light come on and the loud beeping that comes with it.The lights don't be on consistant always flash here flash there. There is only 4700Km's on it and asked the dealer here in Goose Bay to look at it had it there 3 times so far and every time i have had it there they say oh yes machine is good now, getting sick of paying someone to do nothing.

·
7,718 Posts
I have had a similar issue with mine at the conclusion of the season last year. I changed the voltage regulator and that got rid of the beep, but now I am getting the the flashing engine light again, lack of power on top and some backfiring. I am only getting about 1/2 of my power. I have already adjusted my forward cylinder valve clearances, treated my engine to a full bottle of combustion chamber cleaner and ran a tank full of injector cleaner through it as well.
Tonight I will be changing my stator and cleaning my pickup coil. If that doesn't work, I will change out the pickup coil and see what happens. Sounds like we have the same or similar problem, I can't see it being anything too serious, just an annoying electrical nag.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to a couple of ppl today and 1 person thought it could be a loose ground wire/connection?
Last spring out on the bay seal hunting the machine wouldn't charge the battery she slowly drained the battery after every start. And again last weekend. Tried to start it Sunday only about-20c would not start. I put it on charge for a few hrs. checked the voltage 12.8volts. I left it in the shed for the night no electric heat and the next day checked it again was showing 12.43 volts. So not the battery but what ever the problem is when she starts beeping seems like it is not charging the battery. Another thing i noticed when it is making those beeps the KILL SWITCH will not work got to haul out the teather to shut down the machine.It seems for now there is no loss of performance knock on wood.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you make out with the pick up coil and stator Labrador boy, still getting the same problem/s?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I forgot to mention in my original post/topic that my engine and battery light was flashing, the beeping was periodically at first and as the batteries amps came down it became more constant, i tried a new regulator and that wasn't it, took of my stator last evening and it was melted/cooked somewhat and by places the knuckles had fused together.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Inside the cover for timing chain lol.I guess its a good idea to have a new gasket on hand when putting the cover back on. Did you have to take the engine out or is there enough room to take it off without having to pull the motor.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Inside the cover beside the muffler, the place where the three yelow wires are, no need to pull the engine, very easy to get at just take the muffler of and do the work from there, just drain the oil before taking the cover off, the stator is easier to take out than getting at the voltage regulator that's for sure.

I took the cover of twice now and didn't have to change gasket, good to have one on hand though!

Before taking mine of i tested it for voltage, I unpluged from the voltsge regulator and with the engine runniing i got nothing from the engine, 00.5 i think?? i don't what it should be but it must be alot more than that!

·
7,718 Posts
I am having some luck tonight. I had a good talk with the local techs and we eliminated a lot of probable causes. In the end we again pointed to a grounding problem being the issue. Tonight I replaced the voltage regulator for good measure, installed a star-cutting washer on the regulator mounting points and ran a jumper from the regulator ground over to the main chassis ground. I also wire brushed the studs and chassis areas around the grounding points to restore a good cnx in case it was corroded/buggered and tightened all ground connections until the star washer turned and cut a little.

Reassemble and hope for the best tmrw.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Those grounding points aren't easily accessible, if there isn't suffient 12 volts going into the computer she surely would bog out, hope you found your problem!

·
7,718 Posts
Did a rough re-assemble today and threw the sled out by the door for a 3 hour cold soak @ -23*C or so while I installed the HD rear springs on the wifes GTX and did some welding. Thing started up perfect and no check engine light or beeping has returned. Excellent. Hopefully I have this tackled now and for anybody who refers back to this thread, I firmly believe that bad/loose/corroded ground connections are the root of most evil on these 4 stroke Ski-doo's. If you're having a miscellaneous problem that appears to have no clear cause, strip your sled down, get proper access to the grounding points, remove all ring lugs, wire brush it until you're numb, install a "star" (self cutting) washer next to the bare metal frame, then re-install your ring lugs and try your sled again.

I will not proclaim that I am out of the woods until I give it a good hour or so run and she stays clear, but it looks good so far.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
That's good news!

I'm sure with alot of v800's beginning to go into retirement this is not the last time we're going to hear of this problem.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems like I found the problem LOOSE GROUND WIRE . Checked the voltage she was throwing off 26something volts managed to get the socket on the ground with a bit of fooling around and got about 3/4 turn on it. I know now if it acts up again strip the ground and brush off the connection. All the bizzin noises and lights are gone time will tell for now I guess

·
7,718 Posts
That's great news. I think that this will be a problem for the V800 as time goes on but at least if searchers find this thread they'll wise up and concentrate on that cause.

·
7,718 Posts
There are several. Main chassis ground is underneath the aluminum tomfoolery that the fuse panel is mounted on, directly in front of the gas tank on the PTO side.

The one I was having trouble with is the voltage regulator single wire ground, have to pull the tank to get at that one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can anybody tell me if their is a similar forum talking of these problems but on a SUV 550 Fan. Since 3 weeks after I have a few miles done nearly every thing that is on the dash stops running. RPM, speedometer, oil light and temperature light come on, digital writing flash, and the last the head lights don't come on. Last sunday we stopped for lunch and after it was ok for a few miles and all the problems came back.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is a thread on here somewhere i can rember reading about it i think it was a problem with the rear tail light broken wire/cracked wire?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts