Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone combined two windshields together to make the factory one taller? I just picked up an old windshield off an older tundra I believe and I was thinking of attaching the two to make my current one 12-18in higher. I figured pop rivets would be best to attach them but curious if anyone has done this and how did it turn out. I don't want to mess up my old one if there's not really a gain.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Has anyone combined two windshields together to make the factory one taller? I just picked up an old windshield off an older tundra I believe and I was thinking of attaching the two to make my current one 12-18in higher. I figured pop rivets would be best to attach them but curious if anyone has done this and how did it turn out. I don't want to mess up my old one if there's not really a gain.
Haven't done it myself, but I have seen dozens and dozens of sleds with it done. Pop rivets will work or sure.

·
Registered
206 Posts
1/4" pan head bolts, fender and rubber washers and wing nuts. Easy on and off. mine are cut so I can flip them down on the inside to put the cover on.

Ext.jpg

Ones I have seen with a whole windshield catch to much air and start ripping the stock windshield out

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly what I was looking for thank you. My next question was going to be how do you make the cover still fit but you beat me to it thanks again!

·
Registered
677 Posts
That's exactly what I was looking for thank you. My next question was going to be how do you make the cover still fit but you beat me to it t
I Don't have a picture because I sold the sled, but u can use a couple of clamps to make it really easy to put on and take off.. Maybe some might have a picture on how its done.. someone from up north had a picture on here somewhere as that is where I got the idea.. works really well and comes off in seconds when u want to take it off in the spring when it warms up

·
Registered
206 Posts
I Don't have a picture because I sold the sled, but u can use a couple of clamps to make it really easy to put on and take off.. Maybe some might have a picture on how its done.. someone from up north had a picture on here somewhere as that is where I got the idea.. works really well and comes off in seconds when u want to take it off in the spring when it warms up
Seen some of those, small C-clamps, even seen the spring metal clothes pins used. They tend to attract willow branches for some reason which require reassembly if you can find the parts in the snow

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used carriage bolts with wing nuts so it was easier to remove when not needed. Just a piece of Lexan I got from the hardware store and cut to size. After about 2 years it was getting really scratched up from branches & such so I just cut a new one. It will fold back if going over 45 or 50 mph, so it gets removed when I trailer places.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
a3592e94765135e546d797c6e8c0e991.jpg

Clip it on/off.... nice when you tow your sled anywhere and still
Want to get the cover on her.
Same as the lights, ram mount unscrew and bend them down for the cover also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
I've made extensions similar to ones shown above with wingnuts.

My brother has made a few variations using a new technique. He cut a slit on each side of the windshield below the mirrors all the way forward to near the front edge, then tipped the whole windshield forward (and thus up) about three-four inches. He says the more vertical shield really makes a huge difference at not shooting air right at your end. Also gives you a little more space around the bars when in a full turn. A little risky with a $100+ windshield, but it sounds like it works great. The slit is filled in with a dart of plexi and rivets.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I've made extensions similar to ones shown above with wingnuts.

My brother has made a few variations using a new technique. He cut a slit on each side of the windshield below the mirrors all the way forward to near the front edge, then tipped the whole windshield forward (and thus up) about three-four inches. He says the more vertical shield really makes a huge difference at not shooting air right at your end. Also gives you a little more space around the bars when in a full turn. A little risky with a $100+ windshield, but it sounds like it works great. The slit is filled in with a dart of plexi and rivets.

That's a very common mod on KLR motorcycles, and you can see that it's done on the bike in my avatar. Much easier to do on the smaller fairing of the bike though. Kudos to your brother for having the courage to cut up a perfectly good windshield on an XU.

·
Registered
677 Posts

ya that is the one... I made one like this and it is excellent.. easy to remove or add...makes the ride in cold conditions so much more comfortable, especially for old guys like me who won't wear a helmet... hoping the new sled will have a higher windshield or at least deflect the wind different then the Xu...

·
Registered
94 Posts
ya that is the one... I made one like this and it is excellent.. easy to remove or add...makes the ride in cold conditions so much more comfortable, especially for old guys like me who won't wear a helmet... hoping the new sled will have a higher windshield or at least deflect the wind different then the Xu...
Thats funny, you don't look that old to me

·
Registered
522 Posts

I like your light mounting. May steal that one

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I like your light mounting. May steal that one
It's all yours lol
You can see the grey epoxy I used to glue the black plastic to the headlight... keeps lights from shaking.
Going to put another coat and sand it down and paint it black, just haven't had a chance.
You can see in this pic that I had them mounted to my bumper first and only got a couple rides and broke off the mount, i run over way to many trees to have anything on the bumper lol
117f621778524587c350ada0c6bc6e23.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts