Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . possible? I have 2,800 on my 04 REV and as the sled still hooks up at 4,000rpm, would anything bad happen if I just leave it on there for as long as possible to get the most life I can out of it? What would I notice if the belt were too worn?

·
Registered
334 Posts
i normally just change my belts around 1,000 miles or less seems like as they get more worn its doesnt pull as hard as a brand knew belt , only bad thing that can happend is the belt shreading and making a nice mess in your sled. but thats just my 2 cents !!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
cr500r said:
. . . possible? I have 2,800 on my 04 REV and as the sled still hooks up at 4,000rpm, would anything bad happen if I just leave it on there for as long as possible to get the most life I can out of it? What would I notice if the belt were too worn?
[snapback]260050[/snapback]​
First off your a safety hazard..... when the belt goes.... and it will... what do you think is gonna happen.... an x riding bud did the same thing and lost the belt at 70mph... he lost control becasue the clutch locked... he went left out of control.... then came back right which is where I was so we tangled at 70mph....
First time I joined the over the handle bar club... and I wached as our sleds did a death roll... my new sled was totaled

His idea was same as yours

You will also notice more horspower makes it to the snow... so go ahead and change them

Just think what could happen as your going down the trail and lose power....

Told the story on a trip and had one guy laugh and say I got 1500 miles on mine and I aint gonna change it (We call him ROCK for a reason)... so 2 miles down the trial..... the lose belt broke his clutch cover and so it cost him more then just a new belt....

So we pull up to the rest of the group.... ROCK says he blew his belt... and 3 other guys go change there belt....

IMHO a belt should be replaced around 1200 miles???

·
Registered
594 Posts
The longer you let the belt go without changing, the more performance you will lose due to wear and possible stretching. You can check the thickness specs on the belt you have when it was new. Measure the thickness now and see how much is lost. The other thing is piece of mind. Why wait for you current belt to come apart on the trail when you can change it now in your warm garage? I replace my belt at least every other season or no ore than 1,500 miles. My $.02.
'02 MXZ 600

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that, with 2,800 miles on the original belt I'm gonna change it out tonight, especially after I let the Mach Z and MXZ800 guys ride it because they "Never rode a REV yet." and they hammered/clamped my sled at WOT! I rode the MXZ800 and was not impressed with its speed, I could have beat it. Anyhow, thanks for the replies, I don't think I'll even keep it for a spare, just a spare spare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.