Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2014 Expedition this winter, have put about 600km on it so far. I find steering to be good but floatation not so good. When trail riding on hard trails and veer off the trail it seems to be fairly tippy and also sidehilling.

Anyone update to ski skins or wider skis and have good results about being less tippy or wanting to pull you off into the deeper snow?

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Majority of the Expeditions in my group run the ski skins for better flotation. Suspension setup can help also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the skiskins on my TX, I find they help with both floatation and the darting. I don't find tundras tippy at all so is a non issue for me.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Another guy I know put on a set of those wicked extra wide Polaris skis on his WT....they work well

·
Registered
335 Posts
Polaris Pro Floats.

Love 'em on my Tundra LT.

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,281 Posts
Just got my 2014 Expedition this winter, have put about 600km on it so far. I find steering to be good but floatation not so good. When trail riding on hard trails and veer off the trail it seems to be fairly tippy and also sidehilling.

Anyone update to ski skins or wider skis and have good results about being less tippy or wanting to pull you off into the deeper snow?

Cheers
No help with you Expy but that is a great picture!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the BRP 10” wide ski skins on both of my sleds (2020 Expedition 900 Sport and 2019 Expedition SE 900) and I’m very happy with them. I do a lot of off trail riding and they keep the front end up. I also ride groomed trails and don’t have any issues with them. However, I’m not an aggressive rider. I was sold on the skins after I put them on my 2012 Skandic 600 Ace years ago. Made a huge difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Some good choices out there. Thanks for the responses. I think i am going to the local skidoo dealer tomoro and seeing if i can get some ds2 ski skins as they are the cheapest route and hopefully will be a good upgrade.. Will post up some pix when get them installed.. A ton of fresh powder around here with no base so mite be good time to try out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The rear of the ski skiins dont sit flush with bottom of the skis, there is no bolt at rear of ski to help suck it tighter- will ride it on the weekend and see how it performs..

They look a fair bit wider so should help out a fair bit in the deeper snow.. Cant wait.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The rear of the ski skiins dont sit flush with bottom of the skis, there is no bolt at rear of ski to help suck it tighter- will ride it on the weekend and see how it performs..

They look a fair bit wider so should help out a fair bit in the deeper snow.. Cant wait.
I think some have heated up the rear of the skins. Check Skandic page for possible how-to.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I borrowed on this idea from suv1: https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1179305-moulding-a-ski/

My 2016 Expedition Sport skis had a flat/straight tail. Not the best for backing up. I took the skis off and clamped the tail ends of the flat skis (top down) to the edge of my work bench. I then heated them with a heat gun until they 'drooped to the desired curve' (which would ultimately be the desired upsweep). I then did the same with my ski skins so that they matched the skis. I then bolted the skis and skins together and put them back on the sled. They work great. My thanks again to suv1.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts