Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I have a 2005 600 HO SDI Renegade. If I go from normal driving to wide open throttle there is some form of sputter, or miss in the engine at the upper end of the rpm range. I have noticed it lots espically if I was to hit a bit of a jump and pin the throttle, the RPM's increase as normal but fall off for a moment. Sounds like it's not getting gas for a second or at least not getting it correctly. I have only noticed it the last few hundred miles. About the same time I first noticed the 4500 - 5500 rpm stumble. Any thoughts and/or experiences? I hope there is a fix for this. Could it need an ECM update? The drop in rpm when you are trying to have some fun is a pain in the "edit for bad language". Nothing worse than loosing to a buddy cause your engine decides to take a bit of a break.

Thanks for any help!

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Most obvious answer is that it is your Rev Limiter that prevents the engine from over-reving.

I bet that's what it is. Turn your clickers down, or accelerate more gradually.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's not a rev limiter, allot of people in the past thought that. The newest ECM update 2005-3 is suppose to correct the WOT cut out, bombi calls it a surge

Here is the info

2004 - All 600 HO SDI - All models - All serial numbers
2005 - MXZ 600 HO SDI Renegade - Model #'s 000BXA00 & 000BX5B00
................................................................................................................
Problem:

In some cases spark plug fouling may be observed during warm up.

During rapid acceleration or loss of traction, especially when
engine is cold, engine surging may be observed at high RPM.

.................................................................................................................
Solution: Update calibration parameter in the vehicle ECM.

This new calibration will:

*Reduce the possibility of spark plug fouling.

*Provide more constant performance in altitude.

*Maintain a more consistent tuned pipe heat to reduce surging.

*Reduce backfire on deceleration.

*Improve knock sensor sensitivity for long term reliabilty.
................................................................................................................
Two types of procedure:

During the procedure you will have to choose one of these two procedures.

***Vehicles that were not updated according to Warranty Bulletin #2004-7.

***Vehicles that were updated according to Warranty Bulletin #2004-7.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yeah, what Flip said! I have struggled with the WOT cutout intermittently from the get go. Seems to either be a problem all day long or not at all, only when I pin it. I took 2005-3 a couple of weeks back and because its intermittent I can't say for sure its gone, but so far so good having been out on 4 different days since then...

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
So is it a surge protector? The manual has something about this I'll check on. Whatever it is is set to 8700 RPM or 8500 RPM, I forget which, on PTEK models.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With regards to clickers on primary, what should a stock renegade 600 SDI be set at? Mine is at 4. Any suggestions. I am not looking for a lake runner and am not in to daily tweakings. I want something that gets me in the ballpark and then just get on and ride it. Look forward to your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Your clickers should be set to maintain optimal RPMs. General concensus around here would put that at 8,000 under the premise that the tach reads about 200 RPM high. Dont' fixate on a given number, and consider that you likely may have to change them from day to day (or even throughout the day) based on conditions (temps) if you really are concerned about getting every bit of performance.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yellowknife said:
So is it a surge protector? The manual has something about this I'll check on. Whatever it is is set to 8700 RPM or 8500 RPM, I forget which, on PTEK models.
[snapback]296151[/snapback]​
It is not a surge protector at all, bombi claimed the expansion chamber (pipe) did not hold enough heat and would cause the cut out "surge" when you had a loss of traction. I really noticed this when I went to the champion plugs and it reved quicker, the cutouts went from once when I nailed it to 2~3 times when I nailed it, I noticed it more so on very cold days. Like Revulator said some days it would cut out and some days it would not.

As for the rev limiter theory I am not sure if they have one, I believe the carbed sleds don't anyways. My friend drop 700 jugs, pistons and head on hie 04 Renegade 600 HO and when he took it out he would hit 9000 RPM, so he added weight to bring the RPMs down, it did not have any type of rev limiter.

Yes the SDIs perform around the 8000 RPM mark, the carbed are around the 7900 RPM mark. The tach could very from 100 to 200 RPMs high. You will have to test different clickers to see which works best.

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Thanks for explaining FlipMode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts