Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont get what the point of revalving is when you can just buy stiffer springs. As far as i can see if you had a stiffer spring like a 440 spring, your shocks would act like 440 shocks (besides the fading). I have an adrenaline and it bottoms out in the moguls. If i put 440 springs in the rear, will that solve my problem?

·
Ukranian Mafia
5,538 Posts
adrenalineX said:
i dont get what the point of revalving is when you can just buy stiffer springs. As far as i can see if you had a stiffer spring like a 440 spring, your shocks would act like 440 shocks (besides the fading). I have an adrenaline and it bottoms out in the moguls. If i put 440 springs in the rear, will that solve my problem?
[snapback]313892[/snapback]​
The point is that a shock and spring work in tandem to dampen motion. Their rates are matched depending on piston speed, machine weight, etc. Swapping to springs should give you a higher ride height, more compression force, but, in turn, more rebound force, meaning you need more rebound dampening. If you've ridden anything with too much spring or too much dampening you would immediately be able to tell whether you've got too much spring or too much compression. I make it sound quite simple here, but it's not, there's a fair amount of figuring to do to make things work in harmony, depending on how picky you are to getting the proper ride

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
adrenalineX said:
[snapback]313892[/snapback]​
Many different ways to skin a cat, but my findings are this: Going to a progressive stack allows for use of springs with decreased preload and thus a decent smooth trail/small bump ride, but yet very good big bump capicaty. Just going to stiff springs will help bottoming, but you will get beat up and when you get in the big bumps you will most likely still bottom out

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Here is the simple rule:
"Springs carry the load, shocks dampen the load". Only really need stiffer springs if :
a) you are a really heavy person and/or are carrying a pasenger
like to jump big distances or are racing sno cross

The stiffer springs with stock valving will rattle your fillings in small or large stutter bumps as rear skid will have a hard time compressing due to high preload..

Valving is very important when changing to stiffer springs. Like stated before stiffer springs will have more energy to release after compressing and rebound damping must be increased or sled will buck and kick...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts