Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Me too, wired, it's all about numbers with BRP. I neverwanted electric start, for 2 years they gave it to me free on the spring order. I would like "shot" start on a trail sled probably never see it.

they keep dumbing down models, like the "X" model, shocks on the XRS, like they know what's best for us. We should be able to order what we want or require, goodness we're paying plenty for the sled know.

·
Registered
452 Posts
As soon as Ski-Doo/BRP makes a XRS 600R Renegade I’ll be the first one at the dealer with a down payment. Having the SHOT option would also be a great addition

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Doo just did a FB live q&a and I am pretty sure that this was addressed.

·
Registered
411 Posts
BRP is a #s based company. If they actually sold enough Gade 600 XRS' to justify production they would build them.

·
RS
3,087 Posts
i also thought it was odd to have an MXZ 600 XRS but not the gade,

I'd also love to have the XRS models in shot start, i love it on my freeride.

what they need to do is make the Iron Dog available to public again and not just a race department sled.

Reactions: ROBGROTTO

·
Registered
936 Posts
Doo has proven they are all about the numbers when it comes to model selection. It doesn’t matter if it makes sense or a lot of people would like it. Sales have to justify the cost of adding the model. Also, they consider how many people they will lose if they they don’t offer it. Enough people may be willing to buy it to justify the cost but if all those people will stick with Doo and just buy another then why take on the cost to add it.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Yes it stinks you cant have exactly what you want for the Big Money that these sleds cost now ! So I guess you have to decide what you want more the 600cc motor or the 137" track & tunnel . Unless you need 2 Linq spots on your tunnel get the MXZ or if you're a Big Guy and need the 2 Linq tunnel spots get the Renegade 850 . It is a Sweet motor ! Even if you dont go 100mph I truly believe you will enjoy the torque of the 850cc

Lets us know what you end up choosing !

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Same reason you cannot get a 900 Ace NA in an X model or an XRS or you cannot get a 900 Ace in turbo or NA in a 129. Sales. They continue to streamline the offering because overall the sport is declining not growing.

This is not specific to Doo. Poo does the same thing. More than a few Poo riders would have liked to have a Matryx XCR but it was not offered. At some point they will retire the 600 and 800 engines and that will be it if you ride that brand and with zero four strokes in the lineup.

Reactions: skof

·
Registered
2022 XCR 850 136
1,402 Posts
IMO you're far better off going with the 850 over 600 even if you don't need the extra power and speed. No secret these etecs lose their fuel/oil economy 3/4 throttle and up, which makes the 850 a better all around trail sled even riding at 600 speeds. Only a few pounds difference and the real only true offset is initial buying cost difference, which comes back at resale. When I bought my 600R last season coming from an 800, my insurance didn't go down, which surprised me. That said and for what I know now, 850 all the way. Ride it like a 600 and squeeze it when you need it because you can.

Dan

·
Registered
2022 XCR 850 136
1,402 Posts
Same reason you cannot get a 900 Ace NA in an X model or an XRS or you cannot get a 900 Ace in turbo or NA in a 129. Sales. They continue to streamline the offering because overall the sport is declining not growing.
well they did offer a 600 in a renegade and they seen the lack of demand in sales, which led them to drop the option. Doo does also speculate on possible demand to justify what they make. They never offered a 900T in 129 to know if it would sell good or not. I'm also betting bean counters have it figured out by selling a sled with 2 linq spots will generate $$$ more in accessories than a 129 with 1 linq spot.

Dan

·
Registered
858 Posts
Not so sure its about numbers as much as dollars in every case. They are making a calculation that if your willing to spend on a 600 XRs you'll step up.

Let's face it there is no logical reason that they can't drop a 600 in there.

·
Registered
2022 XCR 850 136
1,402 Posts
Just under $1500 (Canuck) diff from 600 to 850 in same sled and a small fraction of that is actual cost to build diff. Bean counters have it all figured out. Buying from the competition and showing sales that way is probably the only way to expose demand at this point.

Dan

·
Registered
936 Posts
Not so sure its about numbers as much as dollars in every case. They are making a calculation that if your willing to spend on a 600 XRs you'll step up.

Let's face it there is no logical reason that they can't drop a 600 in there.
You use numbers to count dollars. Dollars was implied in my comment.

·
Registered
936 Posts
IMO you're far better off going with the 850 over 600 even if you don't need the extra power and speed. No secret these etecs lose their fuel/oil economy 3/4 throttle and up, which makes the 850 a better all around trail sled even riding at 600 speeds. Only a few pounds difference and the real only true offset is initial buying cost difference, which comes back at resale. When I bought my 600R last season coming from an 800, my insurance didn't go down, which surprised me. That said and for what I know now, 850 all the way. Ride it like a 600 and squeeze it when you need it because you can.

Dan
Maybe the 850 is breaking the mold but I would be surprised. My dealer has always told me he doesn't want used 800's because they don't sell while he can move used 600's more easily. Haven't had that conversation with him since the 850 came out. With that said I will admit I'm amazed how well Doo has upsold the 850 to the masses. So many people on 850's that really don't need it. The 600 was always the high volume engine and go to displacement. Feels like they've somehow made it the 850 and convinced people to spend more on what they don't necessarily need.

Regarding insurance, I would be shocked if it went down. It sounds like you bought a 600 that was newer than the 850 you had the insurance was the same so in effect it was cheaper. If you had bought it a newer 850 it would have probably gone up. Every time I buy a new 600 it goes up even though it's the same size motor.

I really don't care about gas mileage personally. Plenty of gas stations where I ride and ultimately it's a small piece of the overall cost. I rode 1,700 miles this year. The difference between 15 mpg and 20 mpg is about $100. That's nothing in the big picture the cost of snowmobiling.

Personally, I don't want to pay more for something I don't need. Been on 850's many times and I simply like my 600 more for the trails I ride. I'll probably jump brands before I go up to an 800 class.

·
Registered
2022 XCR 850 136
1,402 Posts
Maybe the 850 is breaking the mold but I would be surprised. My dealer has always told me he doesn't want used 800's because they don't sell while he can move used 600's more easily. Haven't had that conversation with him since the 850 came out. With that said I will admit I'm amazed how well Doo has upsold the 850 to the masses. So many people on 850's that really don't need it. The 600 was always the high volume engine and go to displacement. Feels like they've somehow made it the 850 and convinced people to spend more on what they don't necessarily need.

Regarding insurance, I would be shocked if it went down. It sounds like you bought a 600 that was newer than the 850 you had the insurance was the same so in effect it was cheaper. If you had bought it a newer 850 it would have probably gone up. Every time I buy a new 600 it goes up even though it's the same size motor.

I really don't care about gas mileage personally. Plenty of gas stations where I ride and ultimately it's a small piece of the overall cost. I rode 1,700 miles this year. The difference between 15 mpg and 20 mpg is about $100. That's nothing in the big picture the cost of snowmobiling.

Personally, I don't want to pay more for something I don't need. Been on 850's many times and I simply like my 600 more for the trails I ride. I'll probably jump brands before I go up to an 800 class.
I don't think there is a wrong answer. When I bought my 600r for the 18/19 season and put 6400 kms on, I was of the mindset of not needing an 800 class sled and performance wise I can make a 600 rock. I also like being an underdog and make a sled rock.

I did well in resale on another 600 I had, so I thought it was safer getting a 600 rather then chance an 850. There were issues with some 850s, but now they seem to be cleared up (belt life/engine). No secret the 800s are old news now and had issues of their own especially in year 2 or 3, making resale not in their favour. Fast forward to today, the used 850s seems to hold better value compared to outgoing 800 so it does seem resale is much better for at least after year 1 or 2. Once you get into season 3 or 4 the 600 would probably be still easier to sell I'm guessing. Probably a supply/demand game to how successful sales are in that particular area though. Have to keep in mind, the longer transferable warranties and thirsty oil pumps seem to help the 850 sales for trade ins.

When it comes to insurance, there seems to be no rime or reason for some increases. I called my insurance before ordering 600 just out of curiosity and it was same price for same class sled 600 or 850. Other times it went up because more cc and other times not..whatever. Hang up and call again for a different answer.. Also because I had an "XRS" it was told to me thats why it cost more to insure 600 than my Assault 800 I had. Yeah I hate insurance companies, but thats another story lol

I'm not really concerned about fuel economy either, but depending what sleds you ride with and how hard your 600 works, being the first looking for gas is a PIA. I get about the same range with my 900T when riding it hard, but the 600 will work harder on average for longer periods of time. The 850s seemed to always drink consistently less, but I do almost always lead so that in itself tends to drink a bit more.

I'm really no fan of doo's marketing, in fact in many aspects I hate how doo manipulates sales, but IMO for me I would get an 850 over a 600 even though the 600R is still a great engine.

I might have a 650 next season...who knows lol

Dan

1 - 20 of 33 Posts