Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been tinkering for a while with sleds and clutches. I still have not figured out what (or why its called) "shift" is actullay refered to in terms of clutching. I have read the mxz-revzone articles, which are absoulutley the best for free. I am still confused as to why it is called shift, since it is a cvt. Does this refer to power rpm? Could somebody explain this to me?

·
Registered
756 Posts
well, when you first get going the primary is open and the secondary is closed. this would be like first gear in a car. after you start moving, the primary closes a little, and the secondary opens a little. that changes the ratio of the pulleys(or clutches in this case). so it's like going into second gear. but the clutches have an infinite number of positions, or "gears". so the clutches are constantly "shifting" to new ratios. so that infinite number of "gears" lets the engine stay at the best rpm, unlike a car. hope this helps.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
Shifting for a sled = any opening/closing movement in the primary or secondary sheaves.

Or like the big utility sleds, they have a big lever to shift into low or high range gearing. but thats in the chaincase not clutch...

·
Registered
133 Posts
A manual trans. in a car requires you to shift gears with a shifter. A cvt setup in a sled still requires shifting but it is done automatically by the 2 clutches. A primary and secondary. The primary clutch takes the engine power and sends it to the secondary which opens or closes due to track load. The primary clutch shifts along with the secondary to maintain the proper engine rpm to keep the motor in its powerband. If a motor makes its power at 6000 rpm and up then the primary clutch must keep the engine at that rpm by shifting itself. The secondary clutch must also shift itself to keep the track accelerating at the proper speed along with the primary keeping the motor in its power range. The 2 clutches work as a team always shifting themselves between different ratios to keep the belt tight to transfer power and let the sled accelerate and decelerate - upshift and downshift without belt slippage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.