Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone injecting Isoflex into the PTO port? Have a pretty fresh motor, just broken in and worry about the bearing. I heard some people inject 10-15cc isoflex into the port every season for maintenance and peace of mind. Bearing was packed with isoflex when rebuilt. I heard some say the grease stays in the bearing when looking during a teardown, other say little grease was left, so seems to be both ways. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Brad

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Anyone injecting Isoflex into the PTO port? Have a pretty fresh motor, just broken in and worry about the bearing. I heard some people inject 10-15cc isoflex into the port every season for maintenance and peace of mind. Bearing was packed with isoflex when rebuilt. I heard some say the grease stays in the bearing when looking during a teardown, other say little grease was left, so seems to be both ways. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Brad
If you can inject isoflex into it, I would. Cant hurt you none.
My ZX/809 has the 97 cases so I dont have that option with that engine anyway, But my 02 engine does have it.
Wish my 97 did though, Cause I sent it to DNE Performance to get ported and polished. While it was apart, Don comented on how someone put a new crank into it, I told him that I did that, And it was still in really good shape. The rods still looked like they had the copper look. Was really happy with the engine when I got it back. Stronger than ever. 300 KM's into it, Blew the 2 outer bearing on the clutch side. Sounded horrible, But shut her down in time. My cases had NO DAMAGE whatsoever.
Was really lucky. Put new crank in again. I drilled the PTO oil mod hole for scavenging the oil to them bearings.
So I am hoping for better luck. I was actually suprised that Don did not drill the hole, But he is pretty old school.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Geez Nick, sounds like my gig a few seasons back. I lucked out on the crank and case. Over 1000 miles and so far so good, even suffering that maddening over-rev. That has to stop!! I might be on to something though. Don't fret kids, I'll share. Well most of it...

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dont mean to hijack here, but how do you go about injecting the isoflex?? anybody have pics?
There is a 90 degree elbow on the PTO side - 2000 and up blocks. Has a cap on it. You are supposed to get a syringe and push it down in the hole, about 1.5 inches or so to get past the bend then inject the isoflex. The hole is about 1/4 or slightly smaller (did not measure) and the syringe needs to have some sort of thin nose that can reach down into the port.

Brad

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can inject isoflex into it, I would. Cant hurt you none.
My ZX/809 has the 97 cases so I dont have that option with that engine anyway, But my 02 engine does have it.
Wish my 97 did though, Cause I sent it to DNE Performance to get ported and polished. While it was apart, Don comented on how someone put a new crank into it, I told him that I did that, And it was still in really good shape. The rods still looked like they had the copper look. Was really happy with the engine when I got it back. Stronger than ever. 300 KM's into it, Blew the 2 outer bearing on the clutch side. Sounded horrible, But shut her down in time. My cases had NO DAMAGE whatsoever.
Was really lucky. Put new crank in again. I drilled the PTO oil mod hole for scavenging the oil to them bearings.
So I am hoping for better luck. I was actually suprised that Don did not drill the hole, But he is pretty old school.
The big question in my mind is say I inject it in, where exactly does it land and it is possible to push out any old grease etc....just not sure if it would hurt anything, but suspect it would not as well. I always ride around worrying about that stupid bearing.

Brad

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The big question in my mind is say I inject it in, where exactly does it land and it is possible to push out any old grease etc....just not sure if it would hurt anything, but suspect it would not as well. I always ride around worrying about that stupid bearing.

Brad
When injecting it would go between the two bearings.the crank has another seal behind them two bearings as oppose to my 97 style crank and cases does not have the seal behind them.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts

Brad
If you put too much in and push the seal out or when the grease heats up it puts too much pressure on the seal.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
Its a good thing to do but dont got crazy with it. If you dont add the tube like pictured then you risk pushing a lot of it out the crank seal next to the clutch when you get extra hot or you over fill it.
Adding the tube gives it room to expand and contract instead of blowing it out the seal. You can also go to far and have it blow out the tube but not for long.
Only need to add like 10cc every 2500 miles to keep it up.

In the picture the tube I'm talking about is tied to the coolant hose, total length is like 8 or 10 inches.

Attachments

·
Can Thread Patrol
3,971 Posts
Its a good thing to do but dont got crazy with it. If you dont add the tube like pictured then you risk pushing a lot of it out the crank seal next to the clutch when you get extra hot or you over fill it.
Adding the tube gives it room to expand and contract instead of blowing it out the seal. You can also go to far and have it blow out the tube but not for long.
Only need to add like 10cc every 2500 miles to keep it up.

In the picture the tube I'm talking about is tied to the coolant hose, total length is like 8 or 10 inches.
is that just a piece of hose you used to extend the vent?

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
is that just a piece of hose you used to extend the vent?
That's all it is. As you can see in that pic the isoflex is up to the zip tie meaning the motor is hot, when the motor cools it will pull most of the extra isoflex back into the bearing cavity.

·
Can Thread Patrol
3,971 Posts
the isoflex i need for crank bearings is the NB-52 right? my Mach Z has 3000 miles on it and i think im gonna do what you did with the little piece of hose, and pump a little grease into it for good measure

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
the isoflex i need for crank bearings is the NB-52 right? my Mach Z has 3000 miles on it and i think im gonna do what you did with the little piece of hose, and pump a little grease into it for good measure
Yes, it is NB-52. We have it in stock if you need it.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
There is a 90 degree elbow on the PTO side - 2000 and up blocks. Has a cap on it. You are supposed to get a syringe and push it down in the hole, about 1.5 inches or so to get past the bend then inject the isoflex. The hole is about 1/4 or slightly smaller (did not measure) and the syringe needs to have some sort of thin nose that can reach down into the port.

Brad
Mines a 99 and it has this as well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
So i also almost posted this question. I have a 98. Im going to look for that tube fitting next time i have to cover off. If it is not there is there another way to inject the isoflex? Could you pull the reeds out and inject it directly to the bearing?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
So i also almost posted this question. I have a 98. Im going to look for that tube fitting next time i have to cover off. If it is not there is there another way to inject the isoflex? Could you pull the reeds out and inject it directly to the bearing?
I doubt you will be able to get at the bearings with the fanciest syringe with the reeds out.
For the early cases without the injection tube, Your best bet would be to drill the scavenger hole. There is allot of good info in FAQ's for drilling this oil mod.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I dont want to tear the motor apart just to drill the hole. Nothing is wrong with it. Just thinking preventive. Im up around 7000 miles and to my knowledge the crank has never been touched.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts