Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
you gotta admit...they are on to something......
what is it that they are on to... build a tank and it will last a long time!

*%@ cares.... riding has to be fun, getting the hell beat out of you so your sled don't break is no fun to me...

rode with an rx-1 today and that thing is a total load. btw - he has had many more problems with it than anyone I have ever heard of with a rev... probably just unlucky-

·
Registered
96 Posts
My friend has a RX-1. He is switching to a Rev. Can't take the beating anymore. To date his has been in for more warranty issues than mine. Even the mighty four stroke has its problems.

By the way, my Rev has run perfectly. No problems. ALWAYS REMEMBER, MORE PEOPLE WILL TALK ABOUT PROBLEMS THAN THOSE WHO ARE HAVING A NO PROBLEMS. It sucks that some have issues, but it is not the majority. You will always hear people praise their sled if they have a different manufacturer, but you rarely hear someone bash their sled if they have a different manufacturer than you.

Just defending an awesome product...Skidoo Rev.

Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a friend with a new RS-rage 4-stroke. Lots of problems. They are tempermental to start and warm up (fouls the plugs). Put new plugs in (they are down deep inside the head) and after it is warmed up it misses, backfires and dies while running down the trail. Then it started overheating (reminds me of my last sled: POO
). My SDI hasn't hiccupped once.

·
Registered
552 Posts
thedoo said:
a 2stroke will never make it that far 5000 at most then you need new rings at least
[snapback]299649[/snapback]​
I just put TWENTY FOUR THOUSAND MILES on a Rotax 800 triple with no repairs, compression was the same as new, 145 lbs. The "four strokes last longer" myth is just that, a MYTH. I've owned, modified, maintained, repaired and rebuilt japanese multi cyl street bike engines enough to know there will be some pretty bummed out owners when faced with a $5K rebuild estimate. Many will not properly warm them up, and fewer still will change the oil frequently enough with the correct oil. Four strokes, however are GREAT NEWS for the mechanically challenged amongst us who can't start a two stroke without flooding, fouling and cursing.

·
Registered
561 Posts
unbroke said:
I have a friend with a new RS-rage 4-stroke. Lots of problems. They are tempermental to start and warm up (fouls the plugs). Put new plugs in (they are down deep inside the head) and after it is warmed up it misses, backfires and dies while running down the trail. Then it started overheating (reminds me of my last sled: POO
[snapback]300164[/snapback]​
2 of the people that I know that bought Rages are also having problems. 1 of them sounds just like the problems your friend is having. The other is more serious and that there is a rattle and vibration that may be crank related.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Shortbus said:
unbroke said:
2 of the people that I know that bought Rages are also having problems. 1 of them sounds just like the problems your friend is having. The other is more serious and that there is a rattle and vibration that may be crank related.
[snapback]300634[/snapback]​
Your post just refreshed my memory, in 1977 my buddy bought a new XS750 triple, the rod bearings went out the second year. We found drill chips jammed in one of the crankshafts drilled oil passages, effectively blocking it. Don't get me wrong, I think Yamaha's engineering and quality is very good. Just trying to put some truth to the perception that the 4-stroke is the end all.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I just heard of a guy with an RX-1 that is in the shop. Two cylinders down. Putting rings in a two stroke does suck but it is very cheap compared to the repair bill for a four stroke repair.

a 2stroke will never make it that far 5000 at most then you need new rings at least
This statement would only be true if it said the following:

a SERIES III ROTAX 2 stroke will never make it that far 5000 at most then you need new rings at least

Rotax Rotary valve engines like the 670 and 583s would aften go at least 15,000 without needing a rebuild. The triples were pretty good as well as they were not messed with. I am hoping Rotax can get their next generation engines back to the reliability levels that they had in the past.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
670hoth said:
I just heard of a guy with an RX-1 that is in the shop. Two cylinders down. Putting rings in a two stroke does suck but it is very cheap compared to the repair bill for a four stroke repair.

This statement would only be true if it said the following:

a SERIES III ROTAX 2 stroke will never make it that far 5000 at most then you need new rings at least

Rotax Rotary valve engines like the 670 and 583s would aften go at least 15,000 without needing a rebuild. The triples were pretty good as well as they were not messed with. I am hoping Rotax can get their next generation engines back to the reliability levels that they had in the past.
[snapback]300649[/snapback]​
Me too. I will say that I don't have a major problem with putting a new set of pistons/rings in @ 5000 miles. Now, I would do this as Preventative maintenance, not wait for it to blow up. Maybe it's just me, but there is really nothing like running a hopped up 2 stroke.
Kinda like running one of the old GSXR oil/air cooled motors...
The new motors are real nice, very smooth, quiet, all good traits, but just seem a little sterile to me, not much character.

·
Registered
565 Posts
670hoth,

You are correct. I have asked this question many time......What happened to the bulletproof Rotaxs of the 90's.........Could not kill that motor.

I have a 96 Formula SS with over 8000 miles. Never once did it leave me stranded. Starts every time and pulls like a animal for the size of the motor.

My 03 800 is DOA in the dealer getting a complete rebuild after 3300 miles. What gives ??

I have never owned any other sled than SkiDoo's ( 9 of them ). That will change this spring.

·
Registered
392 Posts
WELL IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR DETERMINED TO TAKE THE JAPANESE PLUNGE, GO AHEAD AND BUY A BOAT WITH A TRACK, I'D LIKE TO SEE YOU RIDE AN RX-1 322 MILES IN ONE DAY AND THEN STAY UP TILL MIDNIGHT DRINKING BEER AND WATCHING T.V.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
liquid said:
WELL IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR DETERMINED TO TAKE THE JAPANESE PLUNGE, GO AHEAD AND BUY A BOAT WITH A TRACK, I'D LIKE TO SEE YOU RIDE AN RX-1 322 MILES IN ONE DAY AND THEN STAY UP TILL MIDNIGHT DRINKING BEER AND WATCHING T.V.
[snapback]300759[/snapback]​
I sleep only 4 Hrs a night, so I'd have an extra 3-4 hours in my day to make up those miles! I might be late, but I'd get the job done!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
liquid said:
[snapback]300759[/snapback]​
I rode my 96 Formula SS 670 292 miles in 1 day in the lower penisula last year....and I still drank beer that night.

Whats up with the Japanese thing ? Skidoo's built in Canada (engine in Austria ).

What does build origin have to do with anything ?

·
Registered
844 Posts
unbroke said:
Not sticking up for Yamaha but I rode with a Rage and Vector this past week for about 650 miles and no problems from either. One comment have your friends check idle, if it idles too slow(low) it cause the TORS(throttle override switch) to kick in and shut the ignition down causing to backfire and act like someone shut the key off, blipping the throttle a couple of times will usually bring back to life. Try having him adjust the idle up if his dealer hasn't already. Also make sure throttle cable is not too tight, this will also cause TORS to kick in.

·
Snow Deprived
727 Posts
2 strokes can last my cousin has a 2001 mxz 700 and just turned over 21 000 km on the weekend, hasnt touched the motor...just bearings in the skid and other minor stuff. Still starts 3rd pull when cold and first when warm

·
Registered
171 Posts
What did you expect. This is a doo site. I own cat, doo, and yami. Sled that has gone to the dealer the least is the Yami. Best on gas mileage, trail ride, quality for me has ben yami. They just don't have the ditch banger yet. That is what the cat and doo do for me. Yami is building as good or better quality product then the other 3. RX1 new suspension is pretty sweet. They have brought four strokes to the forefront and the other 3 are following. Yami makes the best four strokes on the market and some people can't stand change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.