Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious who actually rides there older triples?

Not being a jerk, just asking. I have (2) Mint condition 01' yellow spring order Mach Z's with low miles and I am a nervous wreck and I don't really want to even run them down the trail. Truth is, I have only put about 5-10 miles on either machine this year. They are awesome to stare at, but I am just OCD to the max.

I am just wondering what you guys think? In theory, I can only assume that the head designers at Ski- Doo never intended for these machines to be held hostage in our garages. I fully appreciate the collector value idea, however, I have seen some older Mach 1's and Z's that have north of 7,000 miles and assume that Ski-doo fully intended high mileage longevity as well.

The sitting is what makes me nervous.

My dad has a fully restored 67' GTX with a built 440. This thing never gets dust on it. The problem is, he only drives it about 500 miles a year. When he does drive it, there always seems to be a new leak, something smells hot or any variety of potential issues from sitting all year.

Also, my mom had a 2003 Monte Carlo SS. She worked about 3 blocks from the house. That car literally was driven 6 minutes a day. By the time it had 30,000 miles on it, she replaced the brakes and exhaust twice.

Just wondering how many times you fully exercise these machines without worrying about rotting away. Looking at rebuild kits, they seem to be pretty cheap. I know that will lower the value if the motor is rebuilt, but these things are such a blast to ride that it may be worth it.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

Reactions: 11c and Alatalo

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
It's a great topic to bring up and I wish I could say "I ride em' all like I stole them" but I can't. By the time I detail one, clean the engine bay, wax, and polish...the idea of getting it dirty and repeating all over again keeps me from taking them out much. I understand where you're coming from on regular use. THese things are like helicopters: they're happiest when they're being used regularly. The other thing is, I have limited windows to ride these things without trailering to a radar run. This year, we had ice and then heavy snow resulting in vast areas of slush with lots of deep snow everywhere too. Not the best riding for a Mach Z.

And lastly, I did what everyone said not to: I bought a brand new sled. I know which one I'll be climbing on for a day of riding...or more precisely, which ones I won't.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just curious who actually rides there older triples?

Not being a jerk, just asking. I have (2) Mint condition 01' yellow spring order Mach Z's with low miles and I am a nervous wreck and I don't really want to even run them down the trail. Truth is, I have only put about 5-10 miles on either machine this year. They are awesome to stare at, but I am just OCD to the max.

I am just wondering what you guys think? In theory, I can only assume that the head designers at Ski- Doo never intended for these machines to be held hostage in our garages. I fully appreciate the collector value idea, however, I have seen some older Mach 1's and Z's that have north of 7,000 miles and assume that Ski-doo fully intended high mileage longevity as well.

The sitting is what makes me nervous.

My dad has a fully restored 67' GTX with a built 440. This thing never gets dust on it. The problem is, he only drives it about 500 miles a year. When he does drive it, there always seems to be a new leak, something smells hot or any variety of potential issues from sitting all year.

Also, my mom had a 2003 Monte Carlo SS. She worked about 3 blocks from the house. That car literally was driven 6 minutes a day. By the time it had 30,000 miles on it, she replaced the brakes and exhaust twice.

Just wondering how many times you fully exercise these machines without worrying about rotting away. Looking at rebuild kits, they seem to be pretty cheap. I know that will lower the value if the motor is rebuilt, but these things are such a blast to ride that it may be worth it.

Any thoughts?
Here's my winter daily. 9200 miles on the original engine. I'm a bit partial to using mine as well. I want to enjoy it but I also don't want to risk ruining the seat and hood as those are 100% impossible to find. I say run one and maybe change out the seat to a less desirable ck3 and keep the other minty, or stock up on some nos parts which I have done for mine.

dca543f925749cbf8036f25450e1f7d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I ride mine when I can, which isn't often in our area anymore. they only come out on nice clear days to the local cook out or the odd local radar run for fun.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
None of my stuff is museum quality, and I bought them to ride. But truth be told; I can't ride em' all at once, nor could I actually keep 10 Mach Z's in top running, turn-key condition all at once.

Even if they're not perfect, they still attract attention at the local watering holes. They still cost just as much as the museum quality examples to keep up. And they're still provide that 800cc triple experience. B)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I don't have any triples, but I do have a 1993 VMax-4 and also a 1993 Mach 1 670.

The Mach 1 is a relatively recent purchase that I have not ridden much because it basically went straight into the shop to be fully restored.

However, I do make a thing out of riding the VMax-4 at least three days every season. Just couple short trail rides, usually during the spring, usually to the local snowmobile club house for a barbecue or just for a cup of coffee. It's in relatively good, unrestored condition but not really a mint condition show stopper so I do dare to use it. It's equipped with low black windshield and quad pipes, exactly like the one I always wanted but never had during the 90's. Also - I am apparently the owner of the last four OEM 750 pistons ever made...that I hope I will never use...

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had mine set up for ice drags for the last few years, that faded so I set it back up for riding around. I only ride it locally on the ice and back roads to watering holes. Here is my 02ish last March. Notice the 99 seat, 00 hood decals and yellow trailing arms with 03 decals, and precision skis. It is still fun to get out and stretch its legs, no desire to ride this old school ripper and any trail that has bumps in it. I did that for years!

It sure feels weird jumping from my 06 back to this, feels like going from a sport bike to a chopper.

43c89be70352a99914a689a38c3a6605.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great read. I think I am most nervous about various parts and their availability.

I truly believe that with proper maintenance and up keep, these are potentially 8-10k mile sleds.

I for one don't have the resources to find parts nor the patience to do such repairs once they occur.

On the flip side, If I don't ride them, they will simply rot away and never get to see the light of day.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took one of the sleds out yesterday. Like Sam said, Mach Z's probably aren't the best at breaking trail :D

I put on about 20 miles in various fields around my parents house giving rides to the kids. It was actually pretty fun.

I got some mud on the foot rails and now my OCD is kicking in and I will be washing it today. :rolleyes:

I went and rode a 2018 Artic Cat that my buddy has and I can officially verify that the young riders of today probably couldn't handle these short track triples with older suspension.

Those new sleds are pretty amazing when it comes to ride. Still love the triple power though.

I just can't seem to pony up $10,000 for a used sled yet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick question, does anyone know of any vintage rides or group rides coming up near Hudson, Wi anytime soon?

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
There was one up here yesterday in Lake Park, MN. That's a haul for you though. I didn't make it either and I only live 30 minutes away. BUT I did make it out on the lake with my youngest and she got her Safe for Solo sign off yesterday. Fun times for sure even though I wasn't on a Mach.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Maybe riding a triple as the daily was a bad idea after all. Oh well

26bde6d1998d5d212bf372743c599d57.jpg

1 - 20 of 95 Posts