Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says, who likes the sled for trail riding ? How's the fuel mileage ? Debating on getting a xp/xs chassis or another sno pro. The type of riding I like to do, is off trail, hitting jumps, and riding trails, we tend to usually go on long trail rides, just wondering how they are in that sence. I know some will say, just buy a xrs, but I cant afford one. I would be cheaper to get a race sled trail converted.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Not good trail sleds, the end! Without doing a lot of work to them that is.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah I know they need quite a few things to be trail ready, been doing a lot of reading. Just curious if its worth it ? If people like them ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a 2010...I love it! It soaks up all kinds of hits! Not the most fuel efficient thing in the world...so long trail rides can be a pain. I put a LinQ gas caddy on the back ( which doesn't mount perfect like it's supposed to! ). Plus, I have to bring oil in a backpack when I venture further away than the gas that I have on board. Also, maybe it's just me but, it's jetted the way it should be...yet I'm always worried about blowing it up! Depends on the trails your gonna ride too...if they're wide open, then you might want to gear it different...she falls on her face around 70 mph or so. I have this sled because I still do the occassional race, and ride practice tracks. If they could make this sled with a trail motor, it would be sweet! I know they have the XRS, which seems close to a race sled but, it's not, and it's like a down payment on a house!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the info, the trails we ride vary from long straight aways, to tight bush riding. There's lots of sweet off trail riding in my area, with some sweet natural jumps, and hills to climb. I have all summer to decide I guess. I had a 09 600 mod sno pro, i loved the sled as a mod, and loved it more for when we put the pump head on it for trail riding, but i didn't really get to ride it much before i sold it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
They're awesome trail sleds with a little work and money. I don't think it's that much work. I didn't keep track of what it cost me to do all that I did. I know it wasn't more than a xrs would cost but It was atleast another grand.

Trails around here are probly 70% fields 30% woods. Usually ride 100 miles or more per ride as there are a couple loops that size in the area. I changed ramps, lowered engagement and put a 25tooth top gear on. Riding with a big group just going on a cruise I've gotten as high as 14mpg. Now riding with racing buddies and going probably a lot faster than we should I'm happy to get 7mpg.

I had the shocks revalved by monster performance. I told him I wanted to be able to hang on to it on trails but still jump it. It turned out awesome. Sled is a little on the stiff side still, not bad for trail riding but I wouldn't want to race cross country with it. On the other hand tho I can jump any road crossing or motocross track jump I come to. I've yet to ride faster or harder than this sled can take.

For oil storage I've put a oil caddy qt holder right beside the chaincase so there's 10 gallons of gas worth of oil right there. I also put a water bottle of oil with the ounces marked out on it in the tool holder on the clutch guard. That's another 5 gallons worth of oil plus it's what I use to mix with. So if I leave the house with a full tank of gas I can mix up another 15 on the trail, that's a lot of riding all without even bringing a backpack or jerry can.

So all in all I'd say if you know how to turn a wrench, don't mind mixing gas and oil (which isn't hard) and don't mind not having reverse then they can be awesome trail sleds. No they aren't for everyone but once u get them set up they are a blast and I think a super reliable and easy to ride sled as far as race sleds go.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that post tmx, that was exactly what I wanted to know, That's a great idea for oil storage. But is there no oil injection kit for them ? in my local classified ads you can get these rs sleds for pretty cheap from what I seen.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I ride a 440 chassis and have a buddy tht has a 10 rs and all we do is trail ride and jump here and there and after owning a race sled I will never own a trail sled again and we don't mind tinkering with things so that aspect is not a deal breaker

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yah I forsure don't mind tinkering a little bit. The few times I rode my 09 600 sno pro I would have to change the jetting depending on the temp. Wasn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Once you get the sled dialed in there a fun sled to ride and there always a head turner when all your friends have race sleds and there is six of them lined up outside of the bar

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Lugging oil and mixing gas, just plain sucks.

Other than that, they are an awesome machine if properly converted. And when I say properly, i mean 95% of what you see advertised as converted, is not properly converted. If it isnt clutched, geared, tracked, gastanked, jetted, and suspended for XC/trail.....its not proper.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I don't think that a blanket statement should be made a far as gearing or track. The conditions to be ridden dictate the choice there, stating the obvious. My riding terrain is ideal for a tall lug, corner to corner type sled.

·
Cadillac mountain Enduro
3,558 Posts
when I first got my rs it was trail converted ( ya right ) it was the worst sled I ever owned . even have a topic on here titled that . now that I have done the things that it needed its a weapon that I will never part with . I did a 300 mile ride yesterday and I have a vary bad neck and back if not for this sled and the braces that I ware I wouldn't be able to ride at all . and it helps when the trails are flat as glass all day.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks a lot for the reply's guys, deffiantley will help when I get looking in the summer time. But one question, is there no oil injection kit for these sleds ?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
There is no "kit" for oil injection, just have to piece it together.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The rev 440 chassis is a better more comfortable trail machine than the xp. I have both

1 - 20 of 26 Posts