Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be able to get a great deal on leftovers. Looking for opinions on either GT or RTX. Good ,bad, ugly. BTW, I presently ride an 05 Renegade SDI and an 03 440 for useful comparison. I ride in the woods and can handle the weight. More concerned about riding position, power delivery.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
You'll love the power delivery, its smooth and ENDLESS. Riding Position is like half way between a Rev and old school sled.
My buddies each have one and they both love the sleds except that they can't get them to turn very well. They struggle in twisty trails for whatever reason. they have been dialing suspensions all season and still have not found what they are looking for as far as cornering.
Thats all I can really honestely comment on.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have ridden the apex gt and the attack, a real workout in the tight trails, not a stand up sled like the rev. Both sleds are very smooth riding over typical trail bumps don't know about the big stuff. If you ride on alot of trails that are straight then they are nice.
Gas mileage has been poor for the gt at 13 mpg and the attack with a woman driver has seen 15mpg. My carb renegade gets 14 to 15. The attack darted so badly that it was outright dangerous. Get rid of that problem and not to bad of a sled. Better than the Rev? The handling on my rev is far better than the gt or attack that I rode, but I will say that the yamahas where more comfy over the bumps. My sled is a 04 and the yamaha's are 06's maybe not a real apples to apples comparison but should be fairly close.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I hope this doesn't become a bash fest. I have two Rev's and an Apex. The Apex is very comfy and the engine is like nothing you have ever experienced before. I like the way it rides and handles. The Rev I think feels lighter and can be thrown around more easily. Over stutter bumps the Yamaha is smoother. I traded back and forth with my Son on our last trip and even though people say the Monoshock on the Apex bottoms on the big whoops I found that both skids bottomed about the same. I like the ergos and sitting position on the Apex better than the Rev. The only thing I like about the Rev over my Apex is the lack of darting. I was told by an ex Doo guy (Machzed) that the pilot ski's on the Apex work awesome for both steering and getting rid of the darting. I think I'm going to put a set of pilots on my Apex for next season. I really like my Apex but I also really like both of my Rev's. The deciding factor is the engine, the Rotax engines are time bombs just waiting to blow. I don't know how much longer even the very loyal Doo riders can put up with the junk engines in these Rev's. I know alot of them have gone to the 500 ss because of the reliable engine but not everyone wants to step back six years in engine tech and more and more people want fuel injection. Thats the way I see it and your the one who asked.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I have ridden an Attak. Seating position is great with the extra ability of sliding your feet up in the footwells and stretch out a bit in the comfy sections. Throttle response is f'n fantastic and I have a PT 800 that is darn snappy. There is definately more sled in front of you than a REV and I didn't ride it long enough to even consider wheeleeing or jumping like I doo on my Gade. The kicker for me is the engine braking. The motor immediately returns to idle and there's no way you're gonna push that motor with the belt. It causes track slide on loose snow and nose dive and darting on hard pack. I ended up bunny hopping on and off the gas more than a few times. It needs a stiffer rear spring for anyone over 125 lbs, seat foam should be firmer and if the idle could be turned up or the ECM could hold a high idle for a few seconds it would be a great trail sled, especially big trails, it's got all kinds of jam.
On hard pack I beat him by 2 sled lengths with my 1" track and 1 tooth higher on the top gear, 24/43. In loose stuff, we're even but he will top end me by 1-2 MPH with his 1.25 RipSaw. We both have 108 studs. To be honest I think his EFI is off, we get the same mileage and he gets flames occasionally out the pipes when he lets off from pinning it. If I hadn't got right off my Gade and ridden it instead of riding it from the start of the season, I probly would have liked it more. Another buddy sold his 03 800X for an Apex and he loves it. Neither guy considers them sno X'rs but who actually rides that.

If there's no 800R in 08 I'll be on a Blue one.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Laker said:
I have ridden the apex gt and the attack, a real workout in the tight trails, not a stand up sled like the rev. Both sleds are very smooth riding over typical trail bumps don't know about the big stuff. If you ride on alot of trails that are straight then they are nice.
Gas mileage has been poor for the gt at 13 mpg and the attack with a woman driver has seen 15mpg. My carb renegade gets 14 to 15. The attack darted so badly that it was outright dangerous. Get rid of that problem and not to bad of a sled. Better than the Rev? The handling on my rev is far better than the gt or attack that I rode, but I will say that the yamahas where more comfy over the bumps. My sled is a 04 and the yamaha's are 06's maybe not a real apples to apples comparison but should be fairly close.
[snapback]743395[/snapback]​
We went on a 1200 mile tour last week and the mileage on my Apex was just a little worse than my wifes 600 SDI. After 100 miles I would use about three litres more fuel than her. My son on my 800 HO and a friend on a 800 HO PT would use atleast three to four litres more than my Apex. Both my friends with 06 600 HO SDI's used more than my Apex but I think that had more to do with the way they ride. My darting isn't that bad just in certain conditions but my wife complained about bad darting with her precisions skis also. I think if you ride with other Revs the precisions leave so many runner grooves behind that it makes it alot worse for single runner sleds. Maybe the pilots work good because there aren't that many out there right now?
I would say that if you bought the Apex and didn't like the way it handled that there are guys who have made minor adjustments to the monoshock with huge improvements in handling. I haven't had to make any adjustments to mine because it rides and handles great. Like I said the only change in my future will be the pilot skis.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I went on a 3 day trip with a guy who brought his Apex ER and a 2005 RX1. There were two Renegade 600ho's and a 2001 grand touring in the group. First let me say that I was considering buying an Apex after the trip because my sons 2005 550f siezed the PTO side piston at 1020 miles for no obvious reason. Doo covered it under warrenty but it should not happen. I thought an Apex with Yamaha's reliable motors and rider forward would be the best of both worlds-WRONG!
The Apex has a wonderfully smooth motor and its gauge package is great but that is about it as far as the upside of the machine. It is a rider forward feel but NOT in the sense of a Rev and certainly not a Renegade. It is fine on groomed trails and you could ride it all day with confort if it wasn't for the ungodly noise that resonates in your head from the stupid mufflers. If you like a quiet machine this one is not for you. If you want a loud Harley like Pounding headache after 30 minutes, and you ride on well groomed trails, then by all means buy one. Off trail or rough trail riding was a big dissappointment. Everyone of us except the owner couldn't wait to get back on one of the Gades. On the bumps the Apex bucks like a broncho Bucking horse trying to pitch you off. It bottoms out often and feels tippy in the bumps. What a comparison it was to jump back on the Gade and go flying through the bumps with ease.
Fuel consumption was good as expected but no better than the gades or the 2001 Grand Touring. If it was any better it was by a litre per fill at best and usually it was nearly the same as the other machines.
I am not one to bash someones machine and I am not a brand loyal fanatic. I love my 4 stroke yamaha 115 outboard motor. It is by far the best motor I have ever had.
I have had two polaris's, an Artic Cat, and Grand Touring and a Rev all in the last 5 years. Each machine has its good and bad points. The cat was a piece of junk. The polaris's are reliable good riding gas hogs but not rider forward. The Rev is by far the best riding machine and the most fun. It saved my Back many times.
I love the ride of the Revs but the motors are questionable as any honest unbiased person will admit.

If you think buying an Apex is like getting a Rev ride with a great motor then you are sadly mistaken and it will be a 10,000 dollar dissapointment.
A yamaha 4 stroke in a Rev NOW that would be worth 10,000 dollars!

My solution to the problem= 2006 500ss adrenaline 5999 out the door! We will see how the motor holds up. For now it sure rides and handles great!

·
Closet Doo lover
1,855 Posts
Tinker said:
I have ridden an Attak. Seating position is great with the extra ability of sliding your feet up in the footwells and stretch out a bit in the comfy sections. Throttle response is f'n fantastic and I have a PT 800 that is darn snappy. There is definately more sled in front of you than a REV and I didn't ride it long enough to even consider wheeleeing or jumping like I doo on my Gade. The kicker for me is the engine braking. The motor immediately returns to idle and there's no way you're gonna push that motor with the belt. It causes track slide on loose snow and nose dive and darting on hard pack. I ended up bunny hopping on and off the gas more than a few times. It needs a stiffer rear spring for anyone over 125 lbs, seat foam should be firmer and if the idle could be turned up or the ECM could hold a high idle for a few seconds it would be a great trail sled, especially big trails, it's got all kinds of jam.
On hard pack I beat him by 2 sled lengths with my 1" track and 1 tooth higher on the top gear, 24/43. In loose stuff, we're even but he will top end me by 1-2 MPH with his 1.25 RipSaw. We both have 108 studs. To be honest I think his EFI is off, we get the same mileage and he gets flames occasionally out the pipes when he lets off from pinning it. If I hadn't got right off my Gade and ridden it instead of riding it from the start of the season, I probly would have liked it more. Another buddy sold his 03 800X for an Apex and he loves it. Neither guy considers them sno X'rs but who actually rides that.

If there's no 800R in 08 I'll be on a Blue one.

[snapback]743434[/snapback]​
There are a few clutch setups that will take the "engine braking" as it's called and vastly reduce if not eliminate it. It's a love or hate thing really. Some people immediately adapted to keeping on the throttle and love being able to let off and slow up. Others have hated it. And yes your buddies sled should not be shooting flames lol. Every now and then it's possible to get a quick flare though with a quick letoff.

As far as not being a standup sled. I stand up all the time on mine. I've been on some revs where it felt like a reverse three wheeler in the corners and I felt like I was goin over. And others where I felt like a pogo stick with a nasty back kick. As in everything a lot is in the setup.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
jds800Rev said:
I hope this doesn't become a bash fest. ..... Rotax engines are time bombs just waiting to blow. I don't know how much longer even the very loyal Doo riders can put up with the junk engines in these Rev's.

[snapback]743425[/snapback]​
Well that's a great way to defuse a bash fest

I would have to agree that the Attak is smoother than my Gade in the washboard, maybe not an 03 SC-III though.

Yam - I would definalety set the Attak up better than it is now but it's not mine. He has an Isovibe on it and it raised the bars about 2 inches and it is excelent for standing up.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I was up on Houghton Lake a couple weekends back and this guy was out there on some 4-stroke Yammi just ripping up and down the lake by himself (yeah I know real fun). This guy would hit the throttle at about 70-80 and pull the skis right off the ground and away he went... I have never seen anything like that before. Obviously this thing was not stock but he had to be doing 130 across the lake...easy, and it had a nice sound to it too.

Tinker said:
jds800Rev said:
I hope this doesn't become a bash fest. ..... Rotax engines are time bombs just waiting to blow. I don't know how much longer even the very loyal Doo riders can put up with the junk engines in these Rev's.

Well that's a great way to defuse a bash fest

I would have to agree that the Attak is smoother than my Gade in the washboard, maybe not an 03 SC-III though.

[snapback]743513[/snapback]​

·
Registered
72 Posts
[quote name='jds800Rev' date='Mar 2 2006, 11:45 AM']
I hope this doesn't become a bash fest. I have two Rev's and an Apex. The Apex is very comfy and the engine is like nothing you have ever experienced before. I like the way it rides and handles. The Rev I think feels lighter and can be thrown around more easily. Over stutter bumps the Yamaha is smoother. I traded back and forth with my Son on our last trip and even though people say the Monoshock on the Apex bottoms on the big whoops I found that both skids bottomed about the same. I like the ergos and sitting position on the Apex better than the Rev. The only thing I like about the Rev over my Apex is the lack of darting. I was told by an ex Doo guy (Machzed) that the pilot ski's on the Apex work awesome for both steering and getting rid of the darting. I think I'm going to put a set of pilots on my Apex for next season. I really like my Apex but I also really like both of my Rev's. The deciding factor is the engine, the Rotax engines are time bombs just waiting to blow. I don't know how much longer even the very loyal Doo riders can put up with the junk engines in these Rev's. I know alot of them have gone to the 500 ss because of the reliable engine but not everyone wants to step back six years in engine tech and more and more people want fuel injection. Thats the way I see it and your the one who asked.

I agree with jds on all points and would only add that the Apex is even colder to ride than the Rev and the hand warmers suck. The guy comparing this to a 500SS is in a different world. The FI 4 stroke has to be driven to be believed. I love my Rev but the 4 stroke always goes on the long trips.

·
Registered
831 Posts
any sled will hang the skis if the suspension is set up to do it. I could hang the ski at 90mph w/ my 670 HO if I removed the acm nut. So don't judge by that. As far as 130mph. The ONLY way an apex will to that is w/ a $5,000 turbo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have only ridden a rev, not an apex although im thinking of gettign one. I must say i see alot good for the apex and not so much bad. I hear alot of good for the rev chasis but plenty of bad things about the motor.

One thing i know however is a Doo is not a Yamaha and a Yamaha is not a doo. You cannot hop on a doo if you own a yamaha and try to ride it like its a yamaha. You just have to get used to what your riding

Both sleds are great but if you want relaibility hands down yamaha. I have heard about the darting issue with the Apex but change the skis to simmons or pilot 5.7's and ppl sais they had good results. I think doo is the only one that comes with a good facotry ski right now. I know the cat doesnt.

·
Registered
0 Posts
NEMICH said:
I went on a 3 day trip with a guy who brought his Apex ER and a 2005 RX1. There were two Renegade 600ho's and a 2001 grand touring in the group. First let me say that I was considering buying an Apex after the trip because my sons 2005 550f siezed the PTO side piston at 1020 miles for no obvious reason. Doo covered it under warrenty but it should not happen. I thought an Apex with Yamaha's reliable motors and rider forward would be the best of both worlds-WRONG!
The Apex has a wonderfully smooth motor and its gauge package is great but that is about it as far as the upside of the machine. It is a rider forward feel but NOT in the sense of a Rev and certainly not a Renegade. It is fine on groomed trails and you could ride it all day with confort if it wasn't for the ungodly noise that resonates in your head from the stupid mufflers. If you like a quiet machine this one is not for you. If you want a loud Harley like Pounding headache after 30 minutes, and you ride on well groomed trails, then by all means buy one. Off trail or rough trail riding was a big dissappointment. Everyone of us except the owner couldn't wait to get back on one of the Gades. On the bumps the Apex bucks like a broncho Bucking horse trying to pitch you off. It bottoms out often and feels tippy in the bumps. What a comparison it was to jump back on the Gade and go flying through the bumps with ease.
Fuel consumption was good as expected but no better than the gades or the 2001 Grand Touring. If it was any better it was by a litre per fill at best and usually it was nearly the same as the other machines.
I am not one to bash someones machine and I am not a brand loyal fanatic. I love my 4 stroke yamaha 115 outboard motor. It is by far the best motor I have ever had.
I have had two polaris's, an Artic Cat, and Grand Touring and a Rev all in the last 5 years. Each machine has its good and bad points. The cat was a piece of junk. The polaris's are reliable good riding gas hogs but not rider forward. The Rev is by far the best riding machine and the most fun. It saved my Back many times.
I love the ride of the Revs but the motors are questionable as any honest unbiased person will admit.

If you think buying an Apex is like getting a Rev ride with a great motor then you are sadly mistaken and it will be a 10,000 dollar dissapointment.
A yamaha 4 stroke in a Rev NOW that would be worth 10,000 dollars!

My solution to the problem= 2006 500ss adrenaline 5999 out the door! We will see how the motor holds up. For now it sure rides and handles great!
[snapback]743471[/snapback]​
I see your a newbie and we all have our opinions but I say foul to your post for one simple reason. To say that the Apex was like a bronco bucking horse trying to pitch you off is not believable. I own both sleds and the Apex goes thru the rough trails as good or better than any sled I've ever ridden and is the best stutter bump ride I've ever experienced. Your right about going from the gade to Apex though...I couldn't wait to get back on my Apex because the guys Gade I traded with needed some tuning. His sled pushed dangerously at every turn. I think he needed to adjust his suspension for sure because my 800 HO Rev that was also on the trip went thru the turns with ease. Its amazing how setup can make such a big difference in our opinion on how a sled rides and handles.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i just bought a apex attak. i have and love my 800x ptech, 4300 miles
2 sets plugs, i set sliders,good gas mileage. i got a new apex attak for
$7500 us funds , i am not selling my rev and will keep both.
i have ridden an apex and liked it. time will tell if i keep one or the other.
this is my third rev 03 800, 03 1/2 blair morgan .05 800x
only issues i had were rings and 1 pto seal.
yamaha motor rocks, i have a 150 fourstroke outboard, after 2 power heads on my merc optimax that was it. there is a place for every type of machine out there.
i ride groomed ditches. its exceptional in that. maybe not the killer bumps.
i state again i love my rev as well.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Kirch said:
any sled will hang the skis if the suspension is set up to do it. I could hang the ski at 90mph w/ my 670 HO if I removed the acm nut. So don't judge by that. As far as 130mph. The ONLY way an apex will to that is w/ a $5,000 turbo.

[snapback]743551[/snapback]​
Not true! Saw 129MPH on a RTX this year. The GPS showed that it was actually 112MPH

My buddy has a well setup RTX. Rear spring is adjust almost all the way tight. Rear shock can be adjusted easily to prevent bottoming out. He has a clutch kit and C&A skis. 15-16MPG during normal riding.

Attachments

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,231 Posts
I liked it. The suspension was well set up on the demo I rode... it felt lighter than it was, had a very nice ride, pushed a bit but was easy to steer. More carbide may help but may bring out a tendancy to highside. Pilots are said to work really well on these sleds. They need about 3 more inches of rise on the bars and if I were to buy one I'd invest in a pair of shin pads to wear under my bibs cuz if you ride as far forward as you can with the high flat seat you'll bash your knees all the time. The engine's insane and addictive but the engine braking is a little harsh and hard to get accustomed to.

I'm gonna get another season out of my REV, but if I had to buy right now I'm pretty sure Yamaha would get my business. It's an awesome sled even with it's minor shortcomings. A little tweakage might well get you a near perfect machine

·
Registered
145 Posts
I own a GT, it is good in many ways. Like one of the other posts if i could have the yamaha engine in a Rev chasis it would be a dream machine. The Apex is great on groomed trails but suffers on the big bumps and then you start to notice the weight. The engine is great but at lower speeds it is noisier than I like. Gas mileage typically aroung 15mpg but thats riding it in big trails. No oil to buy! The hand warmers apparently have been addressed for 07 but for 06 they do not work! I had to install new simmons ski's to get it to turn but it handles great overall since then. I really do like the rider position, very comfortable and i am able to stand up easily if needed.

All that being said I would go for an attack now hoping it will be better over the bumps. I've been thinking of going for a 1000 gade but some people on this site are still making me think about that decision. I owned many cat's and thay have always held up well for me and i like there sno pro set up. Will have to wait to see what turns out from cat & doo in the next week or so but a new machine will be coming for 07.

Mike

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The guy hit the gas at 70 mph plus and then pulled the skis off the ground and he wasn't a heavy guy just throwing his weight back. Like I said I know the sled was not stock..NO stock sled could ever run like this. I have been riding for over 17 yrs and have been around a few sleds in my life. This sled moved like I have never seen before. This is not a good comparison to ANY sled but I thought it was pretty darn cool to see. Turbo, yeah I think that had to be it. It sounded to cool.

Kirch said:

[snapback]743551[/snapback]​

1 - 20 of 24 Posts