Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Which BOV setup are you guys using?

24K views 210 replies 38 participants last post by  Fast Boat Guy 
#1 · (Edited)
One thing I have felt will be important for my Mach is a BOV. Since my local riding is tight, corner to corner type riding i feel this will really be beneficial.

Normally I would be holding off abit but I am seeing black friday deals happening, and so I thought this would be a good time to have a discussion from those here who have older model 900t setup with a BOV.

I see just about every vendor offers a BOV "kit". Pricing on these kits seems to have skyrocketed(like everything else these days) since I bought my Turbosmart BOV for my Winder. On the Winder it was a simple bolt on since the Winder already had a BOV from factory, so the TS BOV was simply a upgrade. With the new 900r I would like to get the low down on the ins and outs out installing a BOV kit.

Currently there is a great deal happening due to Black friday at Straightline Performance. But I want to speak with him first to learn more info on his kit. He sells the BOV separate from his silicone hoses, so you need both. But both these cost less then other BOV kits alone. So would like to know if anyone has used this setup.

Dan

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PURCHASE!

WARNING
Go to Post #108 and read about the china BOV in this kit. Thanks to Brian for pointing this out.

Product Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Vehicle Tire

See less See more
#13 · (Edited)
I have full blown TD setup (including BOV) on my 19 Xrs 900T since it was brand new new out of the crate sled hasn’t skipped a beat at all. So I might just go to TD for same BOV for my Mach….following for options Dan👍❄
I have looked at Ben's BOV kit, thanks for reply. I really want to get a good consensus of how many guys use a BOV and how they like it. For me it's really about the corner to corner surge upon throttle chop that we found was noticeable on Danos 2020 last season.

thank you
Dan

#14 ·
Hey Brother....BTW just have to say your clutch tools are AWESOME! Anyone owning a 900t or the new 900r jump over to Chris's site and you won't be disappointed. Even though i wont be clutching for awhile Im glad I have all the proper tools to dive in.

As for BOV....I hear ya, and I get what you are saying. I think the way im looking at this is that I was sorta believing I was gonna keep the Mach all stock(dont laugh!) at least for season 1. And really get a feel for her bone stock and watch what happens with the aftermarket tunes. As of now it already looks like some tuners will be going straight to a replacement ECU, which might be the ticket? But I thought I would watch and wait, at least for now.

So any "performance items" as you had mentioned, I think I want to see which direction I end up going first. However the BOV IMO is one of those bolt on items that I feel BRP overlooked, be it to cut costs or keep things simple, I just think for hard corner to corner running this is something I knew I wanted and IMO needed.

Dan

#5 ·
I like this kit that uses oem hoses
Automotive lighting Camera accessory Camera lens Font Cylinder

Reactions: rockerdan
#6 ·
One thing I have felt will be important for my Mach is a BOV. Since my local riding is tight, corner to corner type riding i feel this will really be beneficial.

Normally I would be holding off abit but I am seeing black friday deals happening, and so I thought this would be a good time to have a discussion from those here who have older model 900t setup with a BOV.

I see just about every vendor offers a BOV "kit". Pricing on these kits seems to have skyrocketed(like everything else these days) since I bought my Turbosmart BOV for my Winder. On the Winder it was a simple bolt on since the Winder already had a BOV from factory, so the TS BOV was simply a upgrade. With the new 900r I would like to get the low down on the ins and outs out installing a BOV kit.

Currently there is a great deal happening due to Black friday at Straightline Performance. But I want to speak with him first to learn more info on his kit. He sells the BOV separate from his silicone hoses, so you need both. But both these cost less then other BOV kits alone. So would like to know if anyone has used this setup.

Dan

View attachment 1980065

View attachment 1980066
Don't know about his BOV but will vouch for his silicone hoses. I bought his hoses for my turbo Freeride and they are perfect, AND they were WAY less than ANY other vendor.

#8 · (Edited)
Pefi

they are this forum sponsor, so I think this link is ok...

#10 ·
bov works when the throttle is shut causing vacuum to open the bov
so how could launch control be affected....

#18 · (Edited)
Hey Dan maybe just give it a try first.

Easy enough to add the BOV later if you feel you need it.
Of the 2 i seen in our group both left a nasty dirty oily film in the engine compartment.
Both sit on a shelf now.

I can say with 100% i had absolutely no throttle surge when getting on and off the throttle aggressively.

#20 ·
Hey Dan maybe just give it a try first.

Easy enough to add the BOV later if you feel you need it.
Of the 2 i seen in our group both left a nasty dirty oily film in the engine compartment.
Both sit on a shelf now.

I can say with 100% i had absolutely no throttle surge when getting on and off the throttle aggressively.
I hear ya...and as I mentioned I want to ride this bone stock for awhile for sure. Especially since I had some good seat time on Danos 2020 when swapping, I want to see how this is compared to that 900t.

This really just came up today as something I knew I wanted to try but was not concerned with getting it, until these Black friday sales all came to my inbox! lol. Hard to pass up this deal.

The other reason this sits hard in my brain is the fact we are upping the boost a fair amount from the 900t to the 900r, and we all know full well how hard this can be on components when chopping throttle all the time like I do locally. Another reason I like this deal is you get silicone tubes which can take the beating overtime unlike the stock rubber.

I could see myself venting it back into the intake so there will be no oily mess under the hood, or maybe just a filter on it.

I'm certainly known for buying and trying many things....while I do like to do my research to get opinions on stuff, in the end I will love or hate something so at least I know.

BTW...got the Mach all unloaded here! ;)

Dan

#19 ·
whats funny, I here turbo cavitation like crazy in that linx video

#21 ·
I was thinking same thing....that noise we all here must be the turbo wheel getting pressed back on by the massive backpressure when chopping. But is that other noise on the Lynx a BOV? Lynx does have some cool tricks up their sleeve, also has post forward too! Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they had a BOV since that sled is more about riding in deep stuff, it's a 146".

Dan

#23 ·
no way brp put a bov on a linx and not the mach z
and the sound does not sound like a bov to me

#24 ·
One thing I found about theses turbo sleds is there seems to be some oil in the lines. After installing and running the BOV I found that as it blows off it contains a little oil. I found a slight amount of oil starting to show up on the front of the motor and also on the clutch side. This year on my turbo XRS I added a 1" plastic irrigation pipe to route the off gassing down to the belly pan. If I decide to add a BOV to my Mach I would be installing the Precision one due to the fact they route the blow off back into the intake with there kit. Plus you don't have to cut into your factory hose, witch will set you back $80.00 if you decide to take your valve off in the future.

#26 ·
I am going to setup a PCV valve re-route. On the Winders we found lots of vapors building into the intake which would end up in lower hose. Similarly the vapors build on the 900s too. So this will go a long way to cut down on the oily spray/film within the charge tubes and IC.

I do like the idea of a hose off the BOV as well(if needed after the PCV mod) to keep engine bay clean/dry.

Dan

#27 ·
Ok so I had a nice long talk with Jason Houle(STR.PERF) this morning. I have had long talks with him over the years especially when I had my 12004tec. A very knowledgeable guy that will take the time to answer questions. His name & obvious history that he brings to this sport has always made him a great guy to learn from.

He told me his website is all new and still very little is fully uploaded to it. When I asked him for more info on his BOV kit, I told him there was not much info, and so he checked and saw the instructions page was blank. As we spoke he said "I'm uploading the info right now" and sure enough a quick reload and they all were there and all my questions answered.

Lots of info discussed, the BOV kit and Silicone charge tube kit are both needed for his setup. He is able to keep costs down by using his "in house" designed and built BOV which has a few yrs of real world use on it with no issue. Its the same BOV he uses on his Hi boost kits, and also on his 850 turbo kits.

Jason thinks like Dave, in the way he does not like to shim out the MAP sensor, since this can slow down the reaction time upon temp changes. And so Jason and Dave are the two guys who tap the airbox directly for the BOV reference line, which leaves MAP sensor in stock position working 100% as it was designed by BRP.

I went ahead and ordered this system, got the Black friday deal(good all weekend) and also free shipping. The silicone hoses alone cost more then this at other places. Will post up much later when I install this BOV setup, definitely want to ride her stock first.

Dan

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

#29 ·
I need to give credit to Nick(aka DC5). He has always steered me in the right direction. As soon as I dive back into this PCV valve I will post everything.

I think you will love the PEFI kit too. Very nice kit and the pricing this weekend from many of these vendors is really great!

I really want to ride mine bone stock for awhile. I am usually too anxious and install everything too soon but as I get older I enjoy feeling the gains more. I waited at least a couple weekends of riding with my Winder before mods began, and this was how I knew how big a change all the mods made.

One thing of note, for guys who feel a BOV is not needed. All the vendors I spoke to talk about the stock rubber hoses and how much they expand and saw things getting bad quickly once they boosted up the 900t, and remember those sleds were only approx 11psi stock and boosted up to around 14 to 16psi.

FF to the 900r with a supposed 17psi or so, there is no way in my OCD brain I would run this sled without a BOV and also silicone hoses for any length of time.

Dan

#31 ·
i dont know how guys keep there hoses on the throttle body, it is the spot most likely to come off, even with a bov. I check that spot before every ride...both sides of the map adaper thingy is a piss poor design..I have seen this thing move all over

Reactions: rockerdan and krm
#32 ·
If you don’t want to use the adapter you could buy the brass fitting for a couple bucks then drill and tap your air box. Something I should mention, when I ordered mine today pefi billed me $60.00 for shipping to Ontario, that more than swallowed up my 10% discount and that was the cheapest shipping option.

#35 ·
[

That's crazy. I just had a rip II track shipped to me from the same area as PEFI for 80.00 to my door. PEFI is clearly up charging the shipping.
What a scam advertising a sale then more then make up the difference in shipping. (n)

#33 ·
Shipping is getting crazy if it's not from Amazon. I shipped out a 2 lb seat to the states and it was $95 cheapest possible method. Oedered from pefi today and just got an email for a refund on the shipping amount which was nice. I priced out bov kit from straight line but they ship UPS so on top of the outrageous shipping UPS will also charge Canadian people at least another 100 to 140 before you can get the parcel. For Duty and taxes. So I decided might as well Buy in Canada there wasn't much price difference in the end

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.