Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
8,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I have felt will be important for my Mach is a BOV. Since my local riding is tight, corner to corner type riding i feel this will really be beneficial.

Normally I would be holding off abit but I am seeing black friday deals happening, and so I thought this would be a good time to have a discussion from those here who have older model 900t setup with a BOV.

I see just about every vendor offers a BOV "kit". Pricing on these kits seems to have skyrocketed(like everything else these days) since I bought my Turbosmart BOV for my Winder. On the Winder it was a simple bolt on since the Winder already had a BOV from factory, so the TS BOV was simply a upgrade. With the new 900r I would like to get the low down on the ins and outs out installing a BOV kit.

Currently there is a great deal happening due to Black friday at Straightline Performance. But I want to speak with him first to learn more info on his kit. He sells the BOV separate from his silicone hoses, so you need both. But both these cost less then other BOV kits alone. So would like to know if anyone has used this setup.

Dan

Product Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have full blown TD setup (including BOV) on my 19 Xrs 900T since it was brand new new out of the crate sled hasn’t skipped a beat at all. So I might just go to TD for same BOV for my Mach….following for options Dan👍❄

·
boost junkie
10,891 Posts
I like this kit that uses oem hoses
Automotive lighting Camera accessory Camera lens Font Cylinder

Reactions: rockerdan

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,879 Posts
One thing I have felt will be important for my Mach is a BOV. Since my local riding is tight, corner to corner type riding i feel this will really be beneficial.

Normally I would be holding off abit but I am seeing black friday deals happening, and so I thought this would be a good time to have a discussion from those here who have older model 900t setup with a BOV.

I see just about every vendor offers a BOV "kit". Pricing on these kits seems to have skyrocketed(like everything else these days) since I bought my Turbosmart BOV for my Winder. On the Winder it was a simple bolt on since the Winder already had a BOV from factory, so the TS BOV was simply a upgrade. With the new 900r I would like to get the low down on the ins and outs out installing a BOV kit.

Currently there is a great deal happening due to Black friday at Straightline Performance. But I want to speak with him first to learn more info on his kit. He sells the BOV separate from his silicone hoses, so you need both. But both these cost less then other BOV kits alone. So would like to know if anyone has used this setup.

Dan

View attachment 1980065

View attachment 1980066
Don't know about his BOV but will vouch for his silicone hoses. I bought his hoses for my turbo Freeride and they are perfect, AND they were WAY less than ANY other vendor.

·
boost junkie
10,891 Posts

·
boost junkie
10,891 Posts
bov works when the throttle is shut causing vacuum to open the bov
so how could launch control be affected....

Reactions: rockerdan

·
Registered
500 Posts
im no expert, my understanding of launch control is you squeeze the brake & throttle at the same time causing revs to rise increasing boost, simple concept..... but wouldn't it also increase the vacuum in the intake manifold thus holding the BOV open ?

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
8,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have full blown TD setup (including BOV) on my 19 Xrs 900T since it was brand new new out of the crate sled hasn’t skipped a beat at all. So I might just go to TD for same BOV for my Mach….following for options Dan👍❄
I have looked at Ben's BOV kit, thanks for reply. I really want to get a good consensus of how many guys use a BOV and how they like it. For me it's really about the corner to corner surge upon throttle chop that we found was noticeable on Danos 2020 last season.

thank you
Dan

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
8,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dan your money might be better spent on a larger intercooler and mid pipe.
Hey Brother....BTW just have to say your clutch tools are AWESOME! Anyone owning a 900t or the new 900r jump over to Chris's site and you won't be disappointed. Even though i wont be clutching for awhile Im glad I have all the proper tools to dive in.

As for BOV....I hear ya, and I get what you are saying. I think the way im looking at this is that I was sorta believing I was gonna keep the Mach all stock(dont laugh!) at least for season 1. And really get a feel for her bone stock and watch what happens with the aftermarket tunes. As of now it already looks like some tuners will be going straight to a replacement ECU, which might be the ticket? But I thought I would watch and wait, at least for now.

So any "performance items" as you had mentioned, I think I want to see which direction I end up going first. However the BOV IMO is one of those bolt on items that I feel BRP overlooked, be it to cut costs or keep things simple, I just think for hard corner to corner running this is something I knew I wanted and IMO needed.

Dan

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
8,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like this kit that uses oem hoses
View attachment 1980081
I was also looking at this(PEFI) BOV kit today too. Nice looking kit and for once PEFI has a better price on something then others..LOL. (nice stuff but typically the highest prices)

what i would like to discuss is the differences in design. Hurricane Dave likes to tap into airbox to read the pressure, while it looks like PEFI uses a diff method. Im still learning here so please clue me in Chris on their method.

And along this subject, looks like Straightline Perf.... the kit I'm looking at now(quite abit cheaper and includes entire set of silicone charge tubes) just has the BOV capped off, so I need to speak to them and see how their design works. Were closed today for holiday hoping to talk to them tomorrow.

I know a few guys here(very smart guys) who don't always post, run a BOV and I know their stuff is always fast and works well. So anyone else with any good BOV info would love to hear.

I think Dave's sounds like the best way to do it, but not sure I love idea of tapping into the thin plastic airbox, must just be the OCD in me that worries.

Dan

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have looked at Ben's BOV kit, thanks for reply. I really want to get a goodconsensuss of how many guys use a BOV and how they like it. For me its really about the corner to corner surge upon throttle chop that we found wasnoticeablee on Danos 2020 last season.

thank you
Dan
Yes most of our trails in far Northern WI are tight with a ton of corners and also nice straightaways with a ton of lake running chains, I ride into the UP from home and those are Railbeds Miles long where you can literally hold WFO forever. I believe the BOV helps in the constant on off throttle of our local trails.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I watch and listen to this video it sure sounds like this Lynx 900r has a BOV or something added in regards to turbo noice? Am I dreaming or ??

I would rather not add in another spot for leaks to occur. I used to fight that on my F1100 Turbo under high boost.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Hey Dan maybe just give it a try first.

Easy enough to add the BOV later if you feel you need it.
Of the 2 i seen in our group both left a nasty dirty oily film in the engine compartment.
Both sit on a shelf now.

I can say with 100% i had absolutely no throttle surge when getting on and off the throttle aggressively.

·
boost junkie
10,891 Posts
whats funny, I here turbo cavitation like crazy in that linx video

·
OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
8,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Dan maybe just give it a try first.

Easy enough to add the BOV later if you feel you need it.
Of the 2 i seen in our group both left a nasty dirty oily film in the engine compartment.
Both sit on a shelf now.

I can say with 100% i had absolutely no throttle surge when getting on and off the throttle aggressively.
I hear ya...and as I mentioned I want to ride this bone stock for awhile for sure. Especially since I had some good seat time on Danos 2020 when swapping, I want to see how this is compared to that 900t.

This really just came up today as something I knew I wanted to try but was not concerned with getting it, until these Black friday sales all came to my inbox! lol. Hard to pass up this deal.

The other reason this sits hard in my brain is the fact we are upping the boost a fair amount from the 900t to the 900r, and we all know full well how hard this can be on components when chopping throttle all the time like I do locally. Another reason I like this deal is you get silicone tubes which can take the beating overtime unlike the stock rubber.

I could see myself venting it back into the intake so there will be no oily mess under the hood, or maybe just a filter on it.

I'm certainly known for buying and trying many things....while I do like to do my research to get opinions on stuff, in the end I will love or hate something so at least I know.

BTW...got the Mach all unloaded here! ;)

Dan

1 - 20 of 85 Posts