Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my riding buddies would like to make a trip out west in 2007. We are capable trail riders from Michigan and make trips to norhtern Ontario.

Any sugestions on were to ride.

Why do you think the place you recomend is the right place to go?

Some of us ride 2005 800 X Gades. Should we look at shipping them out there? Or shoudl we rent?

Do you have any sugestions on what we should know in planing a trip?

When should we go? March?

Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
307 Posts
In one of the strangest seasons yet, California, of all places, has the absolute best snow. We are over 10' of comrpessed snow in depth and steady powder week and week. This week we will add another 2'.

The only problems out here are: 1) we are a long way for any normal person to travel and 2) there are no good sled rental agencies anywhere (unless you want to rent a 2-up 380cc wonder sled).

·
Registered
26 Posts
First, anyone thinking about comming out west better take an avalanche course, and there are lots of places that rent avalanche gear.(peep,probe,shovel)

There are Two Magazines i would suggest to help plan a trip out west, Snowest, and Snow riders West. they both have tons of information on riding areas, accomadition, and local snow reports. Plus lots of snowy pics to get you stoked on deep powder mountian riding.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well when 2007 hits it would be nice to see Montana back to its glory days of larger amounts of snow. I recammend Yellowstone because of places to stay and the sled rentals around. They usually have some pretty decent machines. I definetly would not want to trailer my sleds that far unless you were going to stay for a long time. I guess you could ride at different spots on your way over here.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We will fly to our destanation.... Have a friend who is in the shipping business so we could ship the sleds a week before we go....

Should we get a guide? We are not the type to like guide services... dont want an agenda....

Do you trail ride to places then go nuts on the Mountain side?

I guess we have watched to many 2 Stroke Cold Smoke flicks...lol

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
i have had some great experiences at Togwotee Mountain Lodge in Wyoming. it is about a 1 or more hour drive from Jackson where you could fly in. they have a lot of varied terrain for everyone. my group is all from minnesota and we have no problem getting around on our renegades. you should definately look into it. they also have great guides avalible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would recommend West Yellowstone Montana. That is an awesome place to ride for almost any skill levels. In March they are having the Artic Blast should be tons of fun, i will be there. Also in West the Renegades do just fine, can climb about anything.

My sled 04 Renegade 800

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
also you can do, far northern ontario in the abitibi canyon it is like mountain powder riding right in our own back yard. alot closer, no changing jetting, gearing and clutching. available guides. remote wilderness powder riding. www.extremetourscochrane.com
we were thinking of going to snowy mountain range in wyoming, but due to the drive, cash flow available vacation we are seriously thinking about this option. should tide us over till we can make the super far west. you can drive to timmins (about 3 hours east of wawa) ride with gear to cochrane (50-75 miles) get to base camp and ride for several days. or add a loop in there. ski

·
Registered
69 Posts
RevRiderXcc said:
I would recommend West Yellowstone Montana. That is an awesome place to ride for almost any skill levels. In March they are having the Artic Blast should be tons of fun, i will be there. Also in West the Renegades do just fine, can climb about anything.

My sled 04 Renegade 800
[snapback]313170[/snapback]​
OK as a Wyoming guy I will put my 2 cents in Togwotee check it out go to the website and go ride the CDST the best in the west per Snowest Mag

·
Registered
714 Posts
West Yellowstone is a perfect place to go for your first trip out west. As as sled rental goes I think you will have alot more fun with your own sled over renting. We used to rent all the time but after taking my own sled out there I won't rent anymore just for the fact that you are comfortable and have more faith in what your sled can and can't do. It makes the trip way more enjoyable. Wherever you go I am sure you will have fun. We go out west every year and it is a bast.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i would recommend staying in canada. one the dollar, two try shipping brand new 2005 sleds across the border twice, three BC rockies are garunteed snow. especially if you get up into revelstoke, chetwynd, and pemberton. these are the snowmobiling mecca's of the world.

·
Just doo it.
690 Posts
sakofinnlite said:
i would recommend staying in canada. one the dollar, two try shipping brand new 2005 sleds across the border twice, three BC rockies are garunteed snow. especially if you get up into revelstoke, chetwynd, and pemberton. these are the snowmobiling mecca's of the world.
[snapback]313569[/snapback]​
REVELSTOKE BABY!!! I want to plan a trip there next march, stay at the glacier Lodge!!
70-80 inches every winter.

·
Registered
209 Posts
|Renegade17| said:
sakofinnlite said:
[snapback]313569[/snapback]​
REVELSTOKE BABY!!! I want to plan a trip there next march, stay at the glacier Lodge!!
70-80 inches every winter.
[snapback]313600[/snapback]​
This has to be the place to go. Did my first trip to the mountains Feb3rd to 7th. Two days of untracked powder 2ft deep. Stayed at Glacier House, Hired a guide(money well spent) I'd go again in heart beat. '05 Gade 800ptek set up at my dealer for the trip(he nailed it). Our guide said if that sled had a 1.75 he would own one instead of his '03 Summit 800. What a thrill for a flat-lander.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
skidooboy said:
also you can do, far northern ontario in the abitibi canyon it is like mountain powder riding right in our own back yard. alot closer, no changing jetting, gearing and clutching. available guides. remote wilderness powder riding. www.extremetourscochrane.com
we were thinking of going to snowy mountain range in wyoming, but due to the drive, cash flow available vacation we are seriously thinking about this option. should tide us over till we can make the super far west. you can drive to timmins (about 3 hours east of wawa) ride with gear to cochrane (50-75 miles) get to base camp and ride for several days. or add a loop in there. ski
[snapback]313196[/snapback]​
Thanks, but we have ridden out of Cochrane... and did the abitibi canyon area..
was great........ this year we only made it far east as Kap.

We even took the ride to the Outpost on the Quebec border where they bring the gas in on bogans... paid $25
for five gallons (and you need 10) and that was 5 years ago.... cant imagine what they charge now...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Revelstoke is great for riding, and is geared heavily to sledders in winter. Also not too far away from Golden, which has some great sledding as well. How long of trip? could be nice to spend a couple days in golden, couple in revy, maybe some in mcbride on way home. Early december this year golden had 3 feet fresh powder overnight and was on top of 7 foot base. We like Boulder and Frisbee ridge riding areas in Revy, and Gorman Lake or Quartz Creek in Golden.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably make a week trip out of it. Two days for traveling.... one day each way.....that leaves 5 days to ride.....

Will probaly want to run hard one then take it easy the next... then hard the next day..... not sure... just a falt lander who mashes bumps.....

·
Registered
312 Posts
what kind of tracks do you have on your machines you might be better off renting
a mountain sled if your's isn't equiped also you'll need pieps and probes. if you
can find one back there an avalanche course can't hurt that way you won't have
to rely solely on the guide. If your not experienced mountain riders get a guide
they can keep you informed on changing conditions and what areas to avoid and
remember ride in areas best suited to least experienced rider in your party

·
Registered
453 Posts
I went all the way from Ottawa Ontario to Sicamous BC by truck, about 45 min. west of Revelstoke. The hills are a bit less steeper than at Revy but If you feel confidant enough with your gade, you can still try it at revy. I have a 04 800 HO gade with 136 X 16 X 1.75 track and was highmarking our guide who had a 2000 700 summit with 151 (his spare sled). Lots of powder and there are some smaller hills for a beginner (well as small as you can find em there meaning about 6000' feet) but if you want, you can always try to go to the next, bigger hill. If you're thinking of going there, I would suggest the Sundog bed and breakfast, they have an awsome sledding packadge with breakfast, packed lunch, super and trail pass, their is also a guide available which is a must for avalanche awareness and especially if you're not sure about the capabilities of youre sled, you wouldn't want to go down a hill you can't climb back up...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts