Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
going to west yellowstone jan 30-feb 5 staying at grandpas cabin. what are some good trails to hit, sights to see and some good off trail areas to play in? i was there 2 years ago but cant recall where we all went

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!

Everyone must have been out riding or not in the mood to respond due to lack of snow!!!!!!

Post some pics of your trip. (For those of us that could not go last year. . . .)

So where did you end up going and when are you going this year?

("Grandpa's cabin", where is your grandpa, he still able to get out there with you?)

All of it is a great area to see!(Just some of the areas to give you ideas)

Topo%209%203D_zpslvx3jfrh.jpg

Falls areas, I have Sheep Falls X X out but only as it is off trail. . . .

Falls%20areas%20old%20RR%20tunnel_zps8y9

West%20Yellowstone%202015%202%20112_zps7

Hope you go again in 2017!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wow, someone else already thinking about heading out to West Yellowstone for the upcoming season! I always like to head out there between Chrismas and New Year when the snow is lacking in the Upper midwest. However, very hard to convince people to go that far at that time of the year. Been out there 4 times and always ready to go back. Of course there are some nice spots along the way to break up the trip!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Wow, has to be a long trip for you! Not that I will wish summer away but I hope I can get out there this winter, missing is a bummer!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
How many going with so far? (I missed last year, killing me inside)

Headed to the UP end of Jan, we just got about a foot of snow here. . . . .

·
Registered
407 Posts
Right now it is just me. Normal riding partner can't make it this time. We went out there last fall to ride side by sides so couldn't make it back for the winter. We needed to go since there wasn't much snow in the Midwest. It was the least I have ridden in 15 years. Don't want that to happen again so trying to coordinate something that is more of a sure thing. I don't have a lot of confidence in having good conditions in the U.P. at Christmas. I have been out there 5 times over the last 9 years.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I think you might be right on the UP, time will tell.

Boy I wish I could make it work to get west. . . . . . . .

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
I liked the ride southeast of Park Falls that allows you to go ever so slightly into the park.
It's just a dead end turnaround at some remote falls we never did get to, but it was a neat off the beaten path run.

On the way there is a falls you CAN walk out to - first picture...I don't remember the name, but it was crowded.

There's a remote golf course lodge out there that was pretty nice. We stayed & watched some football there last year. (Middle picture)

Big sky trail north out of W. Yellowstone was trashed, we turned around, but if you could hit it right I hear it's a good run too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Wowchad, the ride you are talking about is listed on the map a few posts above, you were at Upper/Lower Mesa Falls, Timberline Golf Course as you were headed to Cave Falls. (Bottom picture under the above map in post #3)

Funny how small the world can be when we start following a few "trails"!!!

If you go again look for the old railroad tunnel area and get to the end at Cave Falls, worth the ride.

Hope I get to go again soon!!!!!

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
Unbelievable! Somehow I completely missed that map...and the fact this thread is almost a year old :-o

I just looked closer and that topo map is sweet!

Yes small world... that ride to Cave Falls was my fav of the trip.
We're heading back late Jan so we'll watch for RR tunnel because we turned around in the parking area I think.

This year we plan to go off map and check out some trails farther West & South I believe. Great riding all over out there, but you do need to watch your arse too

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
If you get an early start and ride late on the way to Cave Falls you can "off trail" down a summertime "two track" to Sheep Falls which is XX off the map as it is not a groomed trail. . . .(Let me know if you need more info on the tunnel, another tread has that location spelled out better but I need to go back to work right now. . . .)

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
We are permanently spoiled after our 10 days of riding in West Yellowstone last January.. We had several bluebird days and great snow. It was so good I worried that we wouldn't enjoy riding in MI ever again.. Thankfully, I was wrong. We will go again sometime but not this winter. It's an expensive trip when you have to trailer 1,500mi. each way. Might consider renting long track sleds next time but that will be even MORE expensive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The rental isnt too bad when you are factoring in bringing the trailer and sleds 1500 miles. Mike over at Summit Motorsports is a really great guy and in the price of his rentals will give you a trailer and any gear you need!

• 2017 Ski-Doo Summit X 850 165" - $230
• 2017 Ski-Doo Summit X 850 154" - $230
• Ski-Doo Summit 800 163" - $200
• Ski-Doo Summit 800 154" - $200

I had my dad rent through him last year when he came out and we had zero complaints.

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
We are permanently spoiled after our 10 days of riding in West Yellowstone last January.. We had several bluebird days and great snow. It was so good I worried that we wouldn't enjoy riding in MI ever again.. Thankfully, I was wrong. We will go again sometime but not this winter. It's an expensive trip when you have to trailer 1,500mi. each way. Might consider renting long track sleds next time but that will be even MORE expensive.
tic what are "bluebird days" and when were you out there?
I think last year we went smack dab in the middle of January, just wondering if we crossed paths.
How big of a group did you have?

We found a guy from WI who ownes a house (also usually for rent) in Island Park who rents 153" for $150-$175 a day, but we'd have to call our insurance Co. for coverage for the week.
Seemed more than fair with me; if I break it, I'm paying for it.

We still trailer our trail machines out, but a day or two boondockin' is worth it while we're all the way out there.
A few guys take 2 sleds, one for trails & one for mountian riding.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Hey, we are a year later. . . .

Must be someone to add pics and areas to ride to this thread?

I'll be headed there again around the 6th or so of Feb, I can't wait! (Head for home around the 17th)

Our group this year will be more of a mix on trail off trail. sounds like we might break up those that do not want too much off trail so see how that works out. (Open to conversations with folks that want to ride with us. . .)

More later!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our group goes every three years. I have only made it twice. We are looking for backcountry riding, but depending where we are staying, we do spend time on the trails. I like the Tepee basin area best. It is off the big sky trail. Big sky is also very nice. We usually get to cabin creek cabin at least once. This past trip (Feb 2017) we went to Reas Peak and Mt. Jefferson for the first time. That is also a nice area. We had freezing rain on the day we got there and not much snow during the time out there. It caused less than ideal powder conditions. I hope the snow is good for you. It is a blast out there.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It has been a slow start to the season out there. We are going to go north for the holiday this year. Headed out to West Yellowstone mid Jan. For a week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts