Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like reading about our member’s trips and where they are from, what country, how far they are willing to travel for fresh snow, and to get new ideas for future sledding adventures. Maybe even close enough for a group ride or lend assistance.

Didn’t this forum used to display the member’s location (if member entered into profile) in their postings under our names a while back? Maybe I have that feature turned off or I’m mistaken.

I’ll click on their name and some have location. I understand privacy issues, so if I’m off base, please disregard.
Fyi, my territory is Northeastern Wisconsin and my local trails opened Christmas eve. Sure beats last season. Also, rode for years up in Sault, Michigan area back in the day. Hoping to ride Houghton/Hancock, Mi this season.

Where is your stomping grounds?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Born and raised in rural west central Indiana where back in the 70s it was unusual to NOT have a snowmobile on your farm. Back then large groups of us would night ride the fields and ditches to everyone else’s farm. The 80s came the snow left so did the sleds. Around that time it became popular to trailer up to Cadillac Michigan and ride the trails. I wasn’t ready to give up sleds so I took some advice from a friend and came up to Lost Pines Lodge near Harrietta MI outside of Cadillac to visit Al. Since then we’ve been riding every part of the Manistee National Forrest as possible. Cadillac, Welston, Irons and Baldwin. Sitting in Baldwin right now. We’ve recently also started traveling to the Petosky area along with Indian River and also north accross the bridge to Trout Lake, Eckerman, Strongs and over to the Soo. We’ve spent some time in northern Wi as well. We ride on our farm in Indiana when we have snow which any more isn’t much. But sleds are still pretty popular in our area and like us everyone trailers north. We have a local Ski Doo and Polaris dealer that stay very busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AA1

·
Registered
260 Posts
Munising, Newberry and St Ignace (4-6 hrs from home)……IF the lower has decent snow then Cadillac and St Helen area….yes as I’m getting older i like to trailer to the closest area first….6 hours of trailering to go ride has gotten old lol……

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I live in West Michigan. Have a cabin in Baldwin. I try to ride there when there is good snow which only amounts to 4-5 times a year. But with my other trips I may only ride there 2-3 times a year. We ride a lot around Pine Stump and South of Grand Marias. I usually do a trip out west sometimes twice a year and other times skipping a year. I have rode most of northern Michigan, U.P., Also have done trips to Ontario, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, and Montana.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Southern Ontario. Born sudbury . Typically ride algonquin forest areas. Trails still closed. Went to Haliburton Forest yesterday. Minus 22. Too cold for better pics. Trails were decent.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
How many km's of trails do they have to ride on? And cost for pass? I've never ridden in haliburton forest but been past there many times.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It's bigger than the Barbados. Has a gravel road base so anything past 6 inches of snow and they can open. I strongly suggest you try it. 50 bucks per day per sled. They say they limit to 100 sleds per day. It's our first ride and last typically . well worth it. They have 4 or 6 I forget warm up cabins that you can light a woodstove and have a break.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What’s the enforcement like in Halliburton forest? I just read a guy got busted for speeding, although I don’t know the circumstances. I won’t pay 50$ a day to not exceed 50kph.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Nova Scotia. should have enough for riding from my door now as long as we keep it. Other than that we drive 4 hrs to the highlands of Cape Breton

Or we drive 5-6 hrs to Northern NB

We only ever did new Brunswick as a bypass when doing the gaspe loop. Trails that we saw were excellent. Do you ride NB very often? I'd like to explore some more. Plus I hear restaurants are open for a hot lunch dine inside

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
What’s the enforcement like in Halliburton forest? I just read a guy got busted for speeding, although I don’t know the circumstances. I won’t pay 50$ a day to not exceed 50kph.
I've yet to see cops in there. And been there alot over the years. But they were there wed or Thursday. Got someone with 123 Ina 50 . But .... this is the Same ticket by same cops on any OFSC trails..... right ? and 50 bucks a day is forgotten when riding instead of staring at a new machine in a garage.

·
Registered
'14 Summit SP 600 '21 Expedition Sport 600 EFI
3,893 Posts
This is my backyard. Southern San Juan National Forest, Colorado USA...

Cloud Sky Mountain Snow Ecoregion

Cloud Sky Snow Plant Mountain

Vehicle Snowmobile Snow Automotive tire Tree

Snow Plant Slope Freezing Tree

Sky Snow Plant Building Branch

Snow Plant Nature Tree Slope

All you need to ride is a Colorado resident, or non-resident registration sticker. Costs $30 USD annually.

Don't come out here without a Beacon, Probe, Shovel, and an Avalanche pack. And the knowledge to use them. Almost forgot... we measure snowfall by the yard/meter, not inches /centimeters.

·
Premium Member
2020 MXZ 850 TNT 2022 MXZ 850 TNT
22 Posts
We keep ours sleds at our Gull Lake home near Brainerd 110 miles north of Minneapolis. We have hundreds of miles of trails and it’s the land of 10,000 lakes. On a winter weekend day like today there will be hundreds of sleds that drive by our house on the lake. It’s over 100 miles on the Paul Bunyan Trail from our place to Bemidji State Park. We may take a trip next winter to the North Shore of Lake Superior a 100 mile drive away where the snow is deeper. Here’s live shot from our backyard cam.

Snow Sky Slope Tree Freezing

Map World Rectangle Font Slope

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
living in a small town between Buffalo and Rochester,NY it's roughly 45 mins to either city. I can normally ride from my house. Not enough snow yet to do so. I can/do trailer to northern Ontario, tug hill, and rode up in northern Quebec with a dootalk member once back in 2019. I plan on returning back to northern Quebec to ride with him. trailers were amazing. I also race all over NY,PA and race at haydays.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts