Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a trip up to eastern Quebec from Maine. After difficulty starting my 2013 MXZ TNT 800 because of subzero temps (love electric start) we were on our way to the beautiful trails and scenery that was offered. 22 miles into our journey and my machine shuts off out of no where, no lights, beeps or anything, coasts to an eerie silent haunting hault. I check my DESS, Kill switch, everything is fine?? Start button click, click. Finally after a couple tries engine turns but doesn't sound right at all. Pulled the belt and got towed back to the road. While waiting for the truck and trailer I try to turn it over again. I can get it running but have to have throttle all the way on. Starts goes through checks 2 beeps and idles, but rough. No CELs on the instrument cluster. At this point I've come to the conclusion that I've most likely toasted this motor.

Get machine back to hotel. I brought it to my dealer today he said most likely lost a
Cylinder, but he will let me know more later this week. What does this repair typically cost? Best/worst case scenario??

So guys I am at a crossing road here. This sled is 3 months out of extended BEST warranty, has 4200 miles and is pretty much immaculate. I don't know how much the repair is going to cost but I do know that I am not sure I can justify spending 1500-2000 to replace the motor. (Those are the ball park numbers I've heard and seen on this forum).

Basically I am asking two questions:

1.) what is the sled worth as it sits right now with the potentially blown motor?

2.) what is the repair cost estimate, again best/ worst case scenario.

Thank you for reading and any responses that are to come!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
If your talking about a short block replacement $1500-2000 is ballpark for an 800ho Ptek or an 800r.
List price for an 800etec short block is right around $4000 US
You may get a replated mono cylinder and 2 pistons done for $2000, but with 4200 miles on it the bottom end should get some attention if you have any intention of keeping it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Sounds like you have a very nice sled...minus that it doesn't run. Sounds like your dealer might of done a diagnosis without checking the motor thoroughly...very easy to tell if it is motor or not. I would do a compression check first before I contemplate next steps. MIght not of been engine internal but something else. I would fix it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Because you don't know extent of damage any buyer has to be thinking of having to do a short block. So just look at any listing of a running sled with similar miles and subtract $4000.

I personally wouldn't pay more then that as a buyer without a complete diagnosis from a dealer and paperwork to prove that diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
This does sound more like an electrical problem than blown engine.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I solved your problem. You just have to buy something like this.

Reactions: zpollard88

·
Registered
361 Posts
Does sound electrical, I just had to put a new stator and flywheel on my 14 xrs with 2300 on it. When I took it apart the stator looked like it had been thrown in the wood stove for a good bit. The way it looked, its a wonder it didn't burn the sled down and for $1000 bucks for parts I kinda wish it had. May not be whats wrong with yours but something to check for. Mine to was out of warranty so I tore into it myself and found the problem (thanks to this site) and fixed for the cost of parts and my time. Lots of times we open the panels and see all that stuff in there and get intimidated by it but it really isn't all that bad if you just take your time and do some research.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Until then, I would rebuild the motor myself if you know how. Put a 4 sale sticker on it, and pass those two stroke headaches to somebody else. Love the sleds, but cant trust the motors. And these aren't engine rebuilds of old.

Monoblock plated engines cost way too much to repair and they don't last like old 2 strokes did. Back in the day you could get 10k miles out of a sled, put a new top end in for $300, and your good to go. Now you have to send the motor off to get replated (that's $500 alone) and before you know it your over $1100 in just parts. That's just the top end. Price doubles for the bottom end. You put all of that money into it and you gain nothing in performance. I would be suprised if a dealer would do a top end rebuild for 2500 or less. but I've never taken any sleds to a dealer.

I wouldn't even consider selling it as is myself. Because I wouldn't consider buying one of those etecs with a bad motor. Too much $$ and labor to fix it myself after purchasing it. I would have to get it for a steal, and I think I can get them for a steal while they are still running. So why put the labor in it? I think that limits your market. There are a few guys that will buy and repair, but they won't it at a super low cost and don't value their labor time. Those guys are rare.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pulpfriction, this is what I am thinking. Trade it for a 4tec and call it good until I can spring Check a new renegade xrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Pulpfriction, this is what I am thinking. Trade it for a 4tec and call it good until I can spring Check a new renegade xrs.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can do the engine work myself and I won't touch them any more lol. Maybe an 850 when we get some long term data on them. But it's not worth the labor and money you put into them without getting any gains. I've just about sold all of my unreliable toys. I've got a race quad to sell too. Runs great but the same story even though it's a 4 stroke. The motor is good for about 3500 miles and then you need to do a top end to keep from grenading it. That's the next toy to go. If I'm doing big wrenching projects and spending chunks of money, I'm going to be getting performance out of it. The 1200 is cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, easier to maintain, no engine problems, and you can get much bigger gains from aftermarket parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts