Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find out where to get info on how much of a right of way we have through yards on roads. A lot of people are roping off their property all the way out to the edge of the road and bury stuff for us to hit. I thought we (snowmobilers) have a right of way on all property along roads 33 feet from the center of the road?? I'd really like to have the info on paper to give to these people doing this. Sucks hitting a boulder under the snow with a new sled and having it cause damage to it because some guy doesn't want anyone in his yard at all. Not to mention I'm going through carbides way too fast because I have to ride on the asphalt.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Well im not normally someone who says much. But here it goes. First off would you wanting sleds going thru your LAWN all day and night? Me no and I love to ride. 3000 miles a year. Second you said it your self HIS YARD. Again ride hard but please respect people's property they pay the tax's not us. As for your carbides ride in more snow

·
Good at wrecking stuff.
5,634 Posts
reven-up-yours said:
I need to find out where to get info on how much of a right of way we have through yards on roads. A lot of people are roping off their property all the way out to the edge of the road and bury stuff for us to hit. I thought we (snowmobilers) have a right of way on all property along roads 33 feet from the center of the road?? I'd really like to have the info on paper to give to these people doing this. Sucks hitting a boulder under the snow with a new sled and having it cause damage to it because some guy doesn't want anyone in his yard at all. Not to mention I'm going through carbides way too fast because I have to ride on the asphalt.
[snapback]264223[/snapback]​
Right-of-way is 33 feet from the center of the road on local or county roads. State highways (M or US roads such as M55, M66, US2, etc) have 50 feet right-of-way from the center. Limited access or divided highways are 100 feet from the center of the nearest lane or anything within the ROW fences.

All of these are subject to special easments that may be granted to the state, county, or municipality.

Snowmobiles are permitted on UNPLOWED ROW in the state of Michigan unless posted otherwise, with the EXCEPTION of limited-access highways. This does not, by any means, give snowmobiles specific rights to use this space. Some of the laws are very vague and GOOD LUCK finding a judge who would rule in your favor if the sh&% ever hit the fan.

Any objects that a landowner places on ROW (rocks, posts, trees, culverts, etc) are the landowner's responsibility. Landowners can be held liable for damages or injuries caused by these objects. Once again, though, good luck finding a court who even cares to hear your case.

If you have a real problem with someone INTENTIONALLY putting dangerous objects in the ROW, I suggest you call the county, city, or MDOT, depending on who has jurisdiction over that road.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
bengelp, Well said my freind. U sound very educated in this, maybee a police officer or county employee. Any how well said.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
the right of way is is for municipal uses, it is not so you can ride your snowmobile across someones lawn...

can you drive your car on the right of way too?

As for your carbides ride in more snow
its called a trailer... get one-

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
Viper...

That is why we live in Michigan and you in New York.

You apparently don't know laws regarding the use of right of ways by snowmobiles in Michigan !!!

I do, from the law enforcement aspect and it is legal !!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Way back years ago when I was working highway construction, we would remove any "deemed" dangerous items from the right of way. This included driveway headwalls (rocks, boulders, bricks, etc), solid steel mailbox posts, etc. The state regulated this and would install a nice gradual decrease from the drive to the ditch (all landscaped pretty with grass and all). New wood mailbox posts were installed. According to the state inspectors, when autos would go off the road and hit one of these embankments or a impenetratable mailbox post, they would sue the landowner and the state (1-800-LEE-FREE). Like was said there is a right of way, but that does not mean you can use it. My first cabin was within the road right of way, but that did not mean people could use it. County straightened the road it it moved closer to my property. I would hope all snowmobilers excercise good judgement and respect others property.

·
2011 RMK PRO 155
8,136 Posts
Bobadoo said:
Viper...

That is why we live in Michigan and you in New York.

You apparently don't know laws regarding the use of right of ways by snowmobiles in Michigan !!!

I do, from the law enforcement aspect and it is legal !!!
[snapback]264602[/snapback]​
While driving into most northern Countys in Michigan, you will see a sign, for example, "welcome to Otsego County, Snowmobiles permited on right of way on all County Roads". The thing to remember is the sign said COUNTY roads, Not Stare of Federal. While it is ok to ride the ROW of C-38 in Mancelona, It is not allowed on US-131, Or M32, UNLESS on a designated DNR Trail, such as the trail along US-131 Between Mancelona and Larrys at Elmira.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ViperER said:
the right of way is is for municipal uses, it is not so you can ride your snowmobile across someones lawn...

can you drive your car on the right of way too?

As for your carbides ride in more snow
its called a trailer... get one-
[snapback]264593[/snapback]​
Well, I do own a trailer.......so I HAVE ONE! But why would I need a trailer when the trails are less than a 1/4 mile from my house and 15% or more of our trails consist of riding roads??? So much for you trying to be a smart "edit for bad language"......

·
The 02 REVOLUTION
3,892 Posts
Go to www.msasnow.org , information tab , and there is facts of Mich laws for snowmobiles. In our area it is the unplowed right of way on shoulders.

·
Registered
591 Posts
theres two sides of a road right..........if someone is putting rocks and stuff in ur way ride on the other side...........problem solved

1 - 11 of 11 Posts