Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '02 mxz 600 with 2600 miles. I am planning to do some upgrades over the summer (risers, handguards, diffrent shocks, ect), and I was woundering when sould you do a complete motor overhaul (Gaskets, rings, seals, ect.)?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Well I took my 01 600 apart at 8000 miles, and had it bored and threw new rings/pistons/gaskets in it. Everything in the lower end seemed fine. Another 1000+ miles this season and everything is great! Start out with a compression check and go from there. If all is well run it, no point in tearing down a strong motor. Just my .02!

·
Registered
928 Posts
When compression gets low/ well drops. Signs of seal leaks, noisy motor(bearings).

If you are going to tear down to put in new pistons and rings, do a port job, well worth the gains, also you can tune to your riding style and use more of the available power range. My 583 was night and day.

If and when you do this, check out Richards Engine Development, do a
search.
Any how that is when funds are available, your sled has just got broken in, well just beyond. After 5000 miles, I would look into it.
Don't waste your money on reeds til you have motor work done.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trailburner said:
When compression gets low/ well drops. Signs of seal leaks, noisy motor(bearings).

If you are going to tear down to put in new pistons and rings, do a port job, well worth the gains, also you can tune to your riding style and use more of the available power range. My 583 was night and day.

search.
Any how that is when funds are available, your sled has just got broken in, well just beyond. After 5000 miles, I would look into it.
[snapback]733996[/snapback]​
What should be the compression on a '02 600?

·
Registered
102 Posts
snomomanskdo said:
Trailburner said:

search.
[snapback]733996[/snapback]​
What should be the compression on a '02 600?
[snapback]734181[/snapback]​
Low end 110ish High end 140ish but most importantly is not more than 10% difference between cylinders, and perform the test correctly which is 5 FULL PULLS at Wide Open Throttle. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts