Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alaska has SNOW
unlike too many of you guys.
the down side is -38 to -52 temps this week.

maybe I'm just getting older
10 years ago and 2 kids less
I wouldn't have thought about the 45 mile ride to the cabin.

at what temps do you give up????

·
Registered
56 Posts
Im in Alaska too. I rode 100miles rt up the Yetna to Luces' and around Big Lake.-8f. Monday I only rode 20miles -20f and a Dense Fog Advisory. Only thing keeps me of sled is no gas.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ak49er said:
Im in Alaska too. I rode 100miles rt up the Yetna to Luces' and around Big Lake.-8f. Monday I only rode 20miles -20f and a Dense Fog Advisory. Only thing keeps me of sled is no gas.
[snapback]683551[/snapback]​
-44 deg across from Rebels Roost up off the river right now, can guarantee you that it is at least 5 deg colder down on the river!

·
Fanny
2,449 Posts
Its not really so much the actual temp as it is Humitdy
If its sitting high at like 85% + its a bit much on a persons body. But if its snappy cold... it just depends on how badly we want to go

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
C or F?

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,444 Posts
ORANGUTANG said:
Alaska has SNOW

[snapback]683543[/snapback]​
Generally -30 C (-22 F) is my cut off unless I'm on a trip, then I'll just apply the duct tape to my face and tough it out regardless of the temp.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Being from Alaska "We" must be a strange group! As I have no cut off! I remember 2 years ago changing jets @ -34F out on the river. I also changed a fuel line on another sled that day... Yes it's cold but good gear helps.
fyi I have a dime size frost bite spot on my check from riding last Tuesday at -17F. lol I wasn't going to be out for long just a quick trip so I didn't tape up!
05SDI

·
ITs WINTER!
7,500 Posts
-42c this morning, rode the sled to work as its my winter transportation. boy im glad i had electric start, i think i still would have been there pulling the thing right now if i didnt!

after about -30 i would only go for short rips as to not freeze off any limbs

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
ORANGUTANG said:
Alaska has SNOW

[snapback]683543[/snapback]​
-38 to -52!!!!! HOLY CRAP I've never experienced anything like that! Alaska looks like a beautiful place but I couldn't hack it! I'll remember that next time I'm bitching about the single digits here!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Truth is we just got finally got a good covering of snow in the more accessible areas, so I beleive most everyone is willing to ride no matter what. I have been using my REV as a brush trimmer on all the Big Lake trails for the past two months, it rides like, totally different on snow, hard to get used to again. Maybe I should mount Cub tires to the front for an all-terrain conversion, (on a fan cooled anyway.)

-38 to -52!!!!! HOLY CRAP I've never experienced anything like that! Alaska looks like a beautiful place but I couldn't hack it! I'll remember that next time I'm bitching about the single digits here!

[snapback]683623[/snapback]​
[/quote]

G

·
-20 was the coldest I have riden in back in 2003 up in Tug Hill..... It was pretty hard to keep warm.... I will
any temperature, it would be more HOW FAR...till the next stop.....

·
Registered
264 Posts
-36C.

Frickin cold. But good gear makes all the difference in the world. So does movement. Once you stop, and stand around, you get chills. But if you are doing something, then it isn't so bad.

Just make sure to take extra/extra clothing. I always take two belaclavas, and neck warmers, due to them icing up. Heat packets are always in my pockets, and only had to use them once.

And no gloves. Forget it. Mitts only.

I would do -40 for sure. -50? I might start doubting that....... But I sure would like the option, given the temps in Ontario.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Hey it's only 11 below on the Knik River (banana belt).
If you mat valley guys are interested in a ride tomorrow in a new area let me know. I have a trail that goes from the Knik River to the top of Pioneer ridge (5000ft). Fun place to ride. Bowls, cornices, climbs, powder and the view is amazing. Directions to my house: Go to mile 5 Knik River Road, turn right on Ben Hur and go to the end of the road. PM me if you're interested.

Mark

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well since you asked I am getting old last year went to Maine and it was -27 and I have to say I wanted to die my head hurt even with helemt on it was so cold it just was not fun for me I would have to say around 20F above , but then it all depends on the trip we did a ride in vermont a few years ago it was -20 and I had the best time of my life guess it depends on if I am cold or not maybe humity matters becuase Vermont was cold but no where near as bad as that time in Maine
you guys that do the -30 stuff are either insane or in your 20s lol

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have been out at -40 but not for long, i guess it depends on the situation. If I am home and was going to go for a ride and it was -40F, i would stay home, start a fire and have a beer and wait for better temps. But if your are on a trip you have to suck it up and ride... Right?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
vettezr1 said:
you guys that do the -30 stuff are either insane or in your 20s lol
[snapback]683844[/snapback]​
I'll turn 42 this year!...... Some are just slower learners I guess! lol

I think the coldest was during the '99 Irondog Snow machine race (Irondog web page) somewhere around -44F ambient temp running 80-90MPH on the Norton sound coast! Now that was WAY to cold! 05SDI

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.