Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 grand touring 600.

The hose with the red knob goes from the clutch side carb to the top of the cylinders.

It doesn't turn smoothly, but has detents or settings.

At first I thought it was a fuel shutoff, but it's obvious not that.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's a shut-off valve for the carb heaters. If it's on, it allows coolant to flow from the head through the carbs to keep them warm. If it's off, no coolant flows.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Exactly what jbart said. I believe it is to keep carbs from freezing in bitter cold temps.

I've rode in 35 degrees, down to -25 degree windchill and can't say that I've ever turned mine on. Maybe I just got lucky???

Probably smart to turn it on when temps are single digit?!?

Doo02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have the heated carbs on my '02 500 GT. they were "on" when I bought it 5 years ago, they're still "on". I didn't want to monkey with them for fear of creating a leak or breaking off the knob, or breaking whatever turns under the knob.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
Like the others have said, it's for the heated carb feature. But it's not for the bitter cold, it's for when temperatures are near the dew point, so further cooling of the air being drawn through the carbs would cause the moisture in the air to freeze in the carb throats. Most of the time the valve should be turned off to prevent heating off the fuel that could cause poor performance or boiling of the fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. It's in the off position. And is very difficult to turn, so it's staying off.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Thanks for the info. It's in the off position. And is very difficult to turn, so it's staying off.
Just so you know. The valve is still available from BRP.

Part # 512059324 $35.99 US # 38 in the parts diagram. Click onto the link in my previous post.

Lynn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts