Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people think about using a trail converted race sled? I am thinking about it but I'm not sure... I know sometimes they can be problems but is the reinforced chassis nice to have to beat up? Just wondering what the opinion is.

·
Registered
2021 BC XRS
7,649 Posts
If you're not a high mileage rider and like jumping and pounding the rough stuff they're awesome!

Doo a search, tons of useful info on here!

·
hater on all xrs and freeride owners that drive li
2,307 Posts
CHECK THE MXZX RACE SLED SECTION, BEEN COVERED LOTS

AND THERE FACKING AWESOME!!!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
As long as you're not expecting to get 5k miles out of it AND you are a good tuner they are a lot of fun to ride. I rode race sleds for 10 years and while they were fun I have no desire to go there again.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Lots of work to properly convert them. Gas tank, jetting, shocks, springs, snow flap, clutching, gearing...etc

I've done all those things and the sled rips! Absolutely pounds through the bumps!

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
If is fully trail converted Gas tank, jetting, shocks, programming, springs, snow flap, clutching, gearing then perhaps would consider otherwise they are not really that suitable for the average trail rider. Plus you are mixing gas on these unless you get a pump installed.

If you have to do all the trail mods then I would pass as it's quite a bit of work and when you are done you have a sled that was raced and can assume was raced hard.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Premixing is easy, only inconvenience is carrying said oil. I loved mine, the 600rs is a much better motor to trail run than the 440 i used to have. Also 3-5k miles out of a well taken care of motor is nothing crazy. A rebuild when you feel its needed is all that it really takes.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I trail converted a 2013 IQR while a buddy did an RS..... They definitely take some tuning and adjusting but can be amazing sleds if done properly. If I were you I'd look for a rolling chassis and do an 800eTec conversion. I know a guy who has done it and its amazing.... There is a ton of info available on this site to help you along the way. Keep us posted.

·
Fire Box
20,485 Posts
I've had 3 3 440's 2 rev and 1 zx chassis and a 600rs I currently ride. All 4 sleds were fully trail converted and all were premix for gas. I always say that I'm gonna stop buying race sleds, and just buy a consumer sled, and then I ride my 600rs and wouldn't trade it for anything. They can be a little finicky, but setting them up for your liking and getting to wrench on them to suit your style of riding is half the fun

·
Registered
2021 BC XRS
7,649 Posts
Premixing is easy, only inconvenience is carrying said oil. I loved mine, the 600rs is a much better motor to trail run than the 440 i used to have. Also 3-5k miles out of a well taken care of motor is nothing crazy. A rebuild when you feel its needed is all that it really takes.
Yep, my experience exactly. A well set up race sled is a great ride. I put an oil caddy on my RS, mixing is simple.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
It takes at most 10 hours to trail covert a race sled if your handy with a wrench. For trail riding they are great. Clutch kit, gearing, and jetting per specs in the race section. Its really not that hard to do. I do miss RER but its not the end of the world. Not really recommended for deep powder off trail riding as the RS does trench pretty badly and is easy to get stuck. At the end of the day, its far cheaper to buy a used race sled and trail convert it. And on top of that I still have carbuerators.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Doesn't take much work to trail concvert if you're halfway handy. I had an '08 that was a love/hate relationship mostly hate. Now I have a '13 and I love it. For trails gears are a must and so is clutching. 5700rpm engagement is cool for raving I guess but trying to play in trees and stuff your arms get sore pretty fast from the clutch always engaging/disengaging and it trenches a lot because of that also. I have a dj kit for this year I'm hoping to try if it snows and that should be great. Only thing I'd change is I'd do a 137" swap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
x2

I carry a backpack with me with a quart or 2 and mixing bottle depending on the ride, but thats the only inconvenience. Even then its fine, I would rather pre-mix allday everyday because then I know its getting oil. No way of knowing if your oil injection pump goes out until youre stranded on the side of the trail..

Also if you look at pricing, the prices of the same sled in the standard X or XRS platform is easily 2K-4K higher, you can save a lot of money by buying and converting an RS not to mention the benefits of having one!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Lots of spot on comments. I've done the 440s since 1994 - 2005, and I wish I would've bought a trail sled much sooner, or better yet, had both. They just ride rough and you're always tuning. Lots of pluses though too, they are tough as nails for one!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I loved my converted 2003 440 and 2008 600RS. Not the best on gas but awesome thru the bumps. One thing i wish i woulda done is put oil injection on. Sometimes on trail mixing gas was a pain especially if it was snowing hard and the oil always seemed to get all over everything. They say the 600 will push 130hp.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
They produce about 130 hp...but have awesome throttle response. I have stock clutching but 25/49 gearing and it's wicked snappy...awesome corner to corner sled.

Another overlooked advantage is the shocks and chassis. I do wish the rear shocks had rebound adjustment...but overall the shocks are great once revalved.

Sway bar is necessary for trail riding in my opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts